The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Re: The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:46 pm

I know that our venerable translators are probably ten years beyond the point where they're sick of requests like this, but...
Buu, Majin
A magical being created by the wizard Bibidi
History:He killed the North and West Kaioshin, absorbed the South Kaioshin, and then when he took in the gentle heart of the Dai-Kaioshin, his ferociousness and power were somewhat weakened.
viewtopic.php?t=32226
The above line comes from Daizenshuu 7's character biography, as translated by Herms. I'm curious. What's the exact wording used for "somewhat"? Is this entry supposed to saying that the fat Majin Boo is only slightly/moderately weaker than the pure Majin Boo, or is there some nuance that's not immediately apparent?
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:04 am

Can someone just check this for me.

At 5:25 in when Gohan speaks

(illegal streaming site link removed)

In that sub Gohan says that Pan is a few months old. In the Crunchyroll and Funimation sub he says something like "her neck is already developed". I'm wondering which is correct from a timeline perspective.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:05 am

Bullza wrote:Can someone just check this for me.

At 5:25 in when Gohan speaks

(illegal streaming site link removed)

In that sub Gohan says that Pan is a few months old. In the Crunchyroll and Funimation sub he says something like "her neck is already developed". I'm wondering which is correct from a timeline perspective.
If both the Crunchyroll streaming and FUNimation home release subtitles say the same thing, rest assured you're good to go by that.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:18 am

Can the terms Goku and Trunks are using mean they are identicals in power?

Both Viz and Steve Simmons translate it to something like "You look like me", but some people claim it's about Ki. Is that an accurate translation of the term "そっくり"?
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

nixofcyzerra

Post by nixofcyzerra » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:24 pm

Hi, I have two questions that I'm hoping can be answered.

1: Regarding Tao Pai Pai's claim that he could travel 2300Km twice in under 30 minutes, I am aware that 800 and 3000 have a certain cultural and symbolic meaning in Japan, and as such the Killi reading Dabra takes should not be taken as a serious attempt by AT to display a relationship between Goku's battle strength in his normal and Super Saiyan forms. Does the number 2300 also have any kind of special relevance in Japanese culture?

2: While discussing Power Levels and the mechanics of Ki with a friend, he linked to an image of a translation of Chapter 340, Page 13, Panel 1:
Tenshinhan: "W-What a Ki! So this is what Super Saiyan Goku feels like up close, is it? Amazing..."
I feel that this could have interesting implications for the precise capabilities of the Ki sensing skill, and whether distance can have an effect on comprehension of another's Ki even at relatively small distances such as that between Goku and Trunks and the rest of the Dragon Team in Chapter 334-5. Perhaps, much like hearing or sight, distinguishing the exact magnitude of a "bright" or "loud" Ki is difficult even at that point in the manga unless a user of the skill is at extremely close range (unless one is a master of the Far-Seeing Arts like Kami or Korin, who even late Cell Saga Goku defers to on the detection of inactive or suppressed Ki.)

BLAST!PROCESSOR

Post by BLAST!PROCESSOR » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:44 pm

Could someone translate this page in its entirety (if it's not too blurry). And if it's too much, the bottom right section about Gogeta v.s. Vegito isn't absolutely necessary since that's already been translated on this thread already.
(Also if anyone knew which V-Jump (J-Wing) issue this was from or where I could find a better version of this picture, that'd be great too.)

p-hyvo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by p-hyvo » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:40 pm

BLAST!PROCESSOR wrote:Could someone translate this page in its entirety (if it's not too blurry). And if it's too much, the bottom right section about Gogeta v.s. Vegito isn't absolutely necessary since that's already been translated on this thread already.
(Also if anyone knew which V-Jump (J-Wing) issue this was from or where I could find a better version of this picture, that'd be great too.)

i don't know japanese, but i know that page and i read a translations monthes ago. it should say that, with the ovbvious differences of the 2 separated cases, gogeta m12>= vegetto buu saga.
that leads us to comprehend the power cliffing between movie and manga timelines.

anyway i'm not sure, i think that it is better if someone translates it

BLAST!PROCESSOR

Post by BLAST!PROCESSOR » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:09 am

p-hyvo wrote:
BLAST!PROCESSOR wrote:Could someone translate this page in its entirety (if it's not too blurry). And if it's too much, the bottom right section about Gogeta v.s. Vegito isn't absolutely necessary since that's already been translated on this thread already.

i don't know japanese, but i know that page and i read a translations monthes ago. it should say that, with the ovbvious differences of the 2 separated cases, gogeta m12>= vegetto buu saga.
that leads us to comprehend the power cliffing between movie and manga timelines.

Yeah thanks. Like I said before that, the small part in the lower right corner brings up the topic of Gogeta v.s. Vegito and has been translated already (and it's on page 93 of this thread) so I already know all about that. What more interested in is pretty much everything else on that page. But of course there's also the idea that it could be presenting a scenario where the fusees (Goku and Vegeta) are the exact same rather than specifically comparing an M12 Gogeta v.s. a Buu Saga Vegito. I guess I just also want to see if there's anything to either support or contradict any of those interpretations too.

p-hyvo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by p-hyvo » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:31 am

BLAST!PROCESSOR wrote:
p-hyvo wrote:

Yeah thanks. Like I said before that, the small part in the lower right corner brings up the topic of Gogeta v.s. Vegito and has been translated already (and it's on page 93 of this thread) so I already know all about that. What more interested in is pretty much everything else on that page. But of course there's also the idea that it could be presenting a scenario where the fusees (Goku and Vegeta) are the exact same rather than specifically comparing an M12 Gogeta v.s. a Buu Saga Vegito. I guess I just also want to see if there's anything to either support or contradict any of those interpretations too.
If the fusees are the same, obviously vegeth would be a lot stronger.
Following the manga itself, buuhan >base vegetto>ssj(3) Vegeta ≥buutsnks, since buuham said they even if goku and Vegeta would have fused like the 2 kids, it wouldn't be enough to beat him

BLAST!PROCESSOR

Post by BLAST!PROCESSOR » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:10 am

p-hyvo wrote:
BLAST!PROCESSOR wrote:
p-hyvo wrote:

Following the manga itself, buuhan >base vegetto>ssj(3) Vegeta ≥buutsnks, since buuham said they even if goku and Vegeta would have fused like the 2 kids, it wouldn't be enough to beat him
Well first, it's not really about what I think but more about what that particular page is saying.

Second, I don't think it's in any way implied that Vegeta is any stronger than Buutenks let alone Super Buu considering Goku (with roughly the same power) as a SSJ3 wouldn't be able to beat Super Buu, if that was what you were saying.

Third, I really chalk that line Buuhan said as him just being overconfident to be honest. (The below's just to justify my position on why so that I don't just speak and add nothing but if you want to continue this somewhere else I'd be fine with that since this a thread translation and translation request. And again it's more about what page is say rather than what I think anyways.)

The reason as to why is because that line would imply that a hypothetical SSJ3 Gogeta would be 'no match' (as translated by Herms) for him if that line was meant to be taken seriously. I go with the that if Super Buu was a relative (1) then SSJ3 Gotenks would a (1) too when trying to scale things simply. With that Buutenks would be a (2) and Ultimate Gohan would be around a (1.5) since he's able to beat Super Buu in about the same fashion Buutenks could beat him. So Buucolo being at about the same power would still be a (1) considering Base Post-R.o.S.a.T. Gotenks was apparently about as strong as Fat Buu going by what Trunks said and by Daiznenshuu 7 SSJ2 Majin Vegeta was clearly stronger than Piccolo would be worth counting. So with Buucolo absorbing Ultimate Gohan would be around a (2.5) as Buuhan which isn't even 3x stronger than SSJ3 Gotenks. The problem with this is that it implies that a hypothetical Gogeta wouldn't even be 3x than Gotenks. And considering the Super Exciting Guide: Story Volume says the Fusion Dance 'multiplied' (also translated by Herms) Goten and Trunks's power, Goku and Vegeta would have to be dangerously close to their kids' power if their hypothetical fusion wouldn't be 3x stronger Gotenks. And that's not even going into Daizenshuu 7 saying ki must be 2x as strong than the opposing ki to completely negate it, implying that Buuhan would be at least twice as strong as a hypothetical SSJ3 Gogeta. (Or considering how multiplication works, Goku and Vegeta wouldn't even be twice as strong as Goten and Trunks if a multiplication of the former was less than 3x the multiplication of the latter.) That is highly unlikely to me.

p-hyvo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by p-hyvo » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:02 pm

BLAST!PROCESSOR wrote:
p-hyvo wrote:
BLAST!PROCESSOR wrote: Yeah thanks. Like I said before that, the small part in the lower right corner brings up the topic of Gogeta v.s. Vegito and has been translated already (and it's on page 93 of this thread) so I already know all about that. What more interested in is pretty much everything else on that page. But of course there's also the idea that it could be presenting a scenario where the fusees (Goku and Vegeta) are the exact same rather than specifically comparing an M12 Gogeta v.s. a Buu Saga Vegito. I guess I just also want to see if there's anything to either support or contradict any of those interpretations too.
Well first, it's not really about what I think but more about what that particular page is saying.

Second, I don't think it's in any way implied that Vegeta is any stronger than Buutenks let alone Super Buu considering Goku (with roughly the same power) as a SSJ3 wouldn't be able to beat Super Buu, if that was what you were saying.

Third, I really chalk that line Buuhan said as him just being overconfident to be honest. (The below's just to justify my position on why so that I don't just speak and add nothing but if you want to continue this somewhere else I'd be fine with that since this a thread translation and translation request. And again it's more about what page is say rather than what I think anyways.)

The reason as to why is because that line would imply that a hypothetical SSJ3 Gogeta would be 'no match' (as translated by Herms) for him if that line was meant to be taken seriously. I go with the that if Super Buu was a relative (1) then SSJ3 Gotenks would a (1) too when trying to scale things simply. With that Buutenks would be a (2) and Ultimate Gohan would be around a (1.5) since he's able to beat Super Buu in about the same fashion Buutenks could beat him. So Buucolo being at about the same power would still be a (1) considering Base Post-R.o.S.a.T. Gotenks was apparently about as strong as Fat Buu going by what Trunks said and by Daiznenshuu 7 SSJ2 Majin Vegeta was clearly stronger than Piccolo would be worth counting. So with Buucolo absorbing Ultimate Gohan would be around a (2.5) as Buuhan which isn't even 3x stronger than SSJ3 Gotenks. The problem with this is that it implies that a hypothetical Gogeta wouldn't even be 3x than Gotenks. And considering the Super Exciting Guide: Story Volume says the Fusion Dance 'multiplied' (also translated by Herms) Goten and Trunks's power, Goku and Vegeta would have to be dangerously close to their kids' power if their hypothetical fusion wouldn't be 3x stronger Gotenks. And that's not even going into Daizenshuu 7 saying ki must be 2x as strong than the opposing ki to completely negate it, implying that Buuhan would be at least twice as strong as a hypothetical SSJ3 Gogeta. (Or considering how multiplication works, Goku and Vegeta wouldn't even be twice as strong as Goten and Trunks if a multiplication of the former was less than 3x the multiplication of the latter.) That is highly unlikely to me.

Even if official, the sources that tells that the fusions have an "a x b" kind formula aren't accountable, because that thing doesn't make sense within the stories and other guides.
Just think about it. the difference between Goku and goten/trunks is surely tens of times, if we calculate both gogeta and gotenks with the "A x B" thing, gogeta would obviously come to be thousands of times stronger than gotenks, and obviosly stronger than buuhan in his base alone when we know that it isnt the case.

moreover, no otehr source quotes the moltiplication thing, we are told that buuhan > vegeth manga> buutenks in el manga legendario and that the metamorian fusion result is tens to dozens of times stronger that the parts in gt ferfect files.
anyway, i think that that "tens to dozens times" applies only in dbgt, not in z for obvious scaling reasons that requests it to be a x300 or x2'500 (one lowball and one highball, one following super exciting guide/daizenshuu and the other following the manda itself) imo

BLAST!PROCESSOR

Post by BLAST!PROCESSOR » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:48 pm

p-hyvo wrote:
BLAST!PROCESSOR wrote:
p-hyvo wrote:

Even if official, the sources that tells that the fusions have an "a x b" kind formula aren't accountable, because that thing doesn't make sense within the stories and other guides.
Just think about it. the difference between Goku and goten/trunks is surely tens of times, if we calculate both gogeta and gotenks with the "A x B" thing, gogeta would obviously come to be thousands of times stronger than gotenks, and obviosly stronger than buuhan in his base alone when we know that it isnt the case.

moreover, no otehr source quotes the moltiplication thing, we are told that buuhan > vegeth manga> buutenks in el manga legendario and that the metamorian fusion result is tens to dozens of times stronger that the parts in gt ferfect files.
anyway, i think that that "tens to dozens times" applies only in dbgt, not in z for obvious scaling reasons that requests it to be a x300 or x2'500 (one lowball and one highball, one following super exciting guide/daizenshuu and the other following the manda itself) imo
Well, the only source that says fusion is multiplication is the SEG and we just know potara fusion is vaguely stronger. And even for GT I feel like the whole "tens of dozens" of times line (as well as for Super) weren't meant to be taken as literally as everyone does and that it's more of a genera hyperbolic state just to get the point across that they've gotten way stronger but that's just me.

And on another note I don't know where The Legend of the Manga (El Manga Legendario) apparently says that Vegeta's stronger than Buutenks but the series obviously contradicts that by showing Goku being no match for Super Buu by all his statements about needing to fuse if they were going to face Super Buu after they pulled out those he absorbed both with either potara or fusion. Especially these line from Herms' Strength Checker shows that even after Buuhan's reverted to Super Buu both (SSJ3) Goku AND (SSJ2) Vegeta wouldn't fair well against him at in the original Japanese manga.

Chapter: 507 (DBZ 313), P12.4-5
Context: after Goku and Vegeta revert Boo back to regular evil Boo
Goku: “Hehhe~~eh! With this, Boo’s power should have fallen significantly! We’re almost there! See, see: the size of his ki is completely different than before!”
Vegeta: “Alright! Let’s blast out of here and escape!”
Goku: “Wait! Even though Boo has returned to normal a whole lot, we’re still simply no match for his strength! If we go outside like this, we’ll definitely be done in…!”

So yeah if that source did claim that Vegeta is stronger than Buutenks, it's wrong. But again, this thread's for translation purposes so if you want to continue this somewhere else, I'd be happy to. Especially if you have a link to where it was stated Vegeta > Buutenks, because I'd like to see it for myself.

p-hyvo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by p-hyvo » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:50 am

BLAST!PROCESSOR wrote:
p-hyvo wrote:
BLAST!PROCESSOR wrote:

Well, the only source that says fusion is multiplication is the SEG and we just know potara fusion is vaguely stronger. And even for GT I feel like the whole "tens of dozens" of times line (as well as for Super) weren't meant to be taken as literally as everyone does and that it's more of a genera hyperbolic state just to get the point across that they've gotten way stronger but that's just me.

And on another note I don't know where The Legend of the Manga (El Manga Legendario) apparently says that Vegeta's stronger than Buutenks but the series obviously contradicts that by showing Goku being no match for Super Buu by all his statements about needing to fuse if they were going to face Super Buu after they pulled out those he absorbed both with either potara or fusion. Especially these line from Herms' Strength Checker shows that even after Buuhan's reverted to Super Buu both (SSJ3) Goku AND (SSJ2) Vegeta wouldn't fair well against him at in the original Japanese manga.

Goku: “Hehhe~~eh! With this, Boo’s power should have fallen significantly! We’re almost there! See, see: the size of his ki is completely different than before!”
Goku: “Wait! Even though Boo has returned to normal a whole lot, we’re still simply no match for his strength! If we go outside like this, we’ll definitely be done in…!”

So yeah if that source did claim that Vegeta is stronger than Buutenks, it's wrong. But again, this thread's for translation purposes so if you want to continue this somewhere else, I'd be happy to. Especially if you have a link to where it was stated Vegeta > Buutenks, because I'd like to see it for myself.

Kek who told Vegeta>buutenks?
El manga legendario states base vegetto>buutenks , not Vegeta kek

Wait, I've noticed I've done I typing error.
I got what you meant, I intended ssj(3) gogeta, not Vegeta . my iPhone automatically corrected gogeta into Vegeta for apparently no reason, messing up the statement. Sorry

BLAST!PROCESSOR

Post by BLAST!PROCESSOR » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:08 am

p-hyvo wrote:
BLAST!PROCESSOR wrote:
p-hyvo wrote:

Kek who told Vegeta>buutenks?
El manga legendario states base vegetto>buutenks , not Vegeta kek

Wait, I've noticed I've done I typing error.
I got what you meant, I intended ssj(3) gogeta, not Vegeta . my iPhone automatically corrected gogeta into Vegeta for apparently no reason, messing up the statement. Sorry
Oh okay, it's fine. I kind of had the suspicion that's what was happening considering my iPhone does the same sort of thing. Vegito > Buutenks is perfectly understandable.

TheMysticalRanger

Post by TheMysticalRanger » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:28 pm

Could someone translate this page in its entirety (if it's not too blurry).

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:35 am

There's nothing of interest there that we didn't already cover when we originally posted it.

As noted in the above post, this is just a small portion of a fold-out promotion highlighting the upcoming March 1992 Toei Anime Fair, which was set to debut the sixth theatrical Dragon Ball Z film alongside entries from the Magical Taluluto and Dragon Quest series.

This Dragon Ball portion just asks a somewhat rhetorical question about who this upcoming film's powerful warrior(s) will be in light of its title (the 100億パワーの戦士 from the film's full title of 激突!!100億パワーの戦士たち) and them surpassing the previous enemies. Next to each respective character, it just says that the Namekian Slug was strong, and that Coola from the most recent movie was also a strong enemy. Again, the only notable thing here was the erroneous statement of Tullece being Goku's brother, as noted in the above post.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TheMysticalRanger

Post by TheMysticalRanger » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:37 pm

VegettoEX wrote:There's nothing of interest there that we didn't already cover when we originally posted it.

As noted in the above post, this is just a small portion of a fold-out promotion highlighting the upcoming March 1992 Toei Anime Fair, which was set to debut the sixth theatrical Dragon Ball Z film alongside entries from the Magical Taluluto and Dragon Quest series.

This Dragon Ball portion just asks a somewhat rhetorical question about who this upcoming film's powerful warrior(s) will be in light of its title (the 100億パワーの戦士 from the film's full title of 激突!!100億パワーの戦士たち) and them surpassing the previous enemies. Next to each respective character, it just says that the Namekian Slug was strong, and that Coola from the most recent movie was also a strong enemy. Again, the only notable thing here was the erroneous statement of Tullece being Goku's brother, as noted in the above post.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:55 pm

Does the term Piccolo uses implies he's confident on his own abilities there?
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

BLAST!PROCESSOR

Post by BLAST!PROCESSOR » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:16 pm

inb4 someone does by any chance, never mind my old request...

Dagon
Banned

Post by Dagon » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:01 am

I figured someone's going to shut down my thread so here's my pre-emptive strike.

This Dragon Box character bio for Vegetto was brought to my attention and I want to find out if this is legit. This says that Vegeta got a power increase upon returning to life. The thing is, Vegeta didn't return to life until after Vegetto defused, so it makes me think it's referring to when Vegeta got brought back from the afterlife by Baba. Problem is, there's nothing within the show itself that says Vegeta got stronger either before or after Vegetto, or from being revived by Purunga.

Does such a thing exist in the Japanese Dragon Box? Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this.

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote:
Does the term Piccolo uses implies he's confident on his own abilities there?
Google translate says that symbol means confidence. My attempt at translation has it say "Even I do not have confidence" or "None, I do not even have confidence." and then "However, I do not feel bad hypothesis/bad feeling/premonition from my mind/head..."
My full color mangas have absolutely tiny text so my phone has a hard time picking up the symbols. If I had to call it, it seems like its kind of the opposite of Herms translation.
"It's not like I lack confidence, but I can't shake this premonition from my mind," vs "I do not even have confidence, but I do not feel a bad promonition in my mind"

Could just be Google Translate being screwy, probably.

I had no problems getting Goku's quote about Trunks though. Goku is indeed talking about appearance. In Goku's voice bubble when you combine the phrase you outlined in red with the symbol directly below it, it says "it looks alike," and the rest is "really" and "entirely." So simply put, "We really do look alike" or "You really/indeed look just like me."
Kaboom wrote:Another little tidbit I'm curious about, and yes, it's related to a dumb strength "debate" that refuses to die.

Dabra's little bio in Daizenshuu #7's character guide says his battle power is "equal to Cell's." What Japanese term for "equal" is used there? Is it the same word Nappa used to compare the Saibaimen to Raditz, which only means "similar" or "roughly the same?" Or is it something more strict?
My phone has better luck with the Daizenshuu because it is matte paper and not glossy. I can confirm the symol used is "equal." I singled it out and looked at the synonyms, and it is all "equal, equality," I was able to get the right symbol order for it to say "having equivalent fighting power." Alternately "has power/fighting power equal to Cell."
When I select the symbol just underneath "equal" it changes the phrase to "comparable" so, it might depend. The most straightforward translation seems to be "Dabura has power equal to Cell."