The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Post by B » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:56 pm

Alex9196 wrote:This is not really a translation request but I think it is the right topic to ask my question.
I think about watching all of DBZ subbed because many people say the english dub is so badly translated.
So my question is, if I rewatch the series subbed would it really make that much of a difference?
The short answer is yes. The dub rewrites entire conversations and character quirks. Take a look at how the first arc of Dragon Ball GT is handled; the rest of the series, movies included, are even worse.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:38 pm

This might be a little off base, but I was wondering if someone could tell me how accurate this Japanese proverb I found is. It's not strictly Dragon Ball related, I'll admit, but would be used for something I want to work on that very much is - I just need to know how accurate this all is though.

'桃栗三年柿八年
[ももくりさんねんかきはちねん, momo kuri san-nen, kaki hachi-nen] each thing at its own pace; every thing at its own time (lit.: peaches and chestnuts, three years; persimmon, eight years; i.e.: the fruit takes a different number of years to grow)'

In particular, is the 'each thing at it's own pace, every thing at it's own time' part an accurate translation of the kanji there; and is this actually a somewhat well known proverb? For reference's sake, I found it here.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Shoryuken
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shoryuken » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:35 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:This might be a little off base, but I was wondering if someone could tell me how accurate this Japanese proverb I found is. It's not strictly Dragon Ball related, I'll admit, but would be used for something I want to work on that very much is - I just need to know how accurate this all is though.

'桃栗三年柿八年
[ももくりさんねんかきはちねん, momo kuri san-nen, kaki hachi-nen] each thing at its own pace; every thing at its own time (lit.: peaches and chestnuts, three years; persimmon, eight years; i.e.: the fruit takes a different number of years to grow)'

In particular, is the 'each thing at it's own pace, every thing at it's own time' part an accurate translation of the kanji there; and is this actually a somewhat well known proverb? For reference's sake, I found it here.
Pretty accurate. Furthermore the proverb has its own entry in an online Japanese proverb dictionary so it seems pretty well known.
これはシグネチャではない
Personal blog - myriadleaves.eu

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:08 pm

Much obliged, Shoryuken! Might be a relatively minor detail in the long run, but that definitely helps out quite a bit in regards to my idea. :thumbup:
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:48 am

Can someone translate what they are saying on the final stage of the Japanese Budokai 2?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmA0BAGuhPM
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:57 pm

What does Vegeta say? This is a new page from the Kanzeban, so it hasn't been translated in English anywhere, as far as I know.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:18 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
What does Vegeta say? This is a new page from the Kanzeban, so it hasn't been translated in English anywhere, as far as I know.
Kanzenshuu has already covered that new page from Kanzeban edition of the manga.

Vegeta says, “Phew… Took you long enough… What’s with that goofy look on his face… I seriously can’t stand you… Hmph…”

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:27 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Kanzenshuu has already covered that new page from Kanzeban edition of the manga.

Vegeta says, “Phew… Took you long enough… What’s with that goofy look on his face… I seriously can’t stand you… Hmph…”
Thanks a lot! :thumbup:
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:56 pm

Just curious, does Piccolo note any specific features in the original version here?

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:31 am

This is what Herms has in the Strength Checker for the same dialogue:
Chapter: 497 (DBZ 303), P4.1
Piccolo: “Is-is that Gohan…!? No…Something’s different about him…His features are a little different…And he has a different type of ki than before…His softness has vanished too…That’s why I couldn’t tell it was him…”

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:32 am

Must've skipped over that. Thank you.

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:28 am

What does this mean? I wouldn't really bat an eye if not for the out of place-looking "d" in the middle of the phrase. It's been bothering me for a while.

"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:07 pm

Sandubadear wrote:What does this mean? I wouldn't really bat an eye if not for the out of place-looking "d" in the middle of the phrase. It's been bothering me for a while.

http://i.imgur.com/NrEoZ01.png
Recent Japanese shows sometimes have interactive game functions that kids can access by pressing a special "d" button on their remote.

I've never really looked into how these things work, but in this particular case it says you can get a present if you defeat "him" in the game.
-Rachel

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:17 pm

TripleRach wrote:
Sandubadear wrote:What does this mean? I wouldn't really bat an eye if not for the out of place-looking "d" in the middle of the phrase. It's been bothering me for a while.

http://i.imgur.com/NrEoZ01.png
Recent Japanese shows sometimes have interactive game functions that kids can access by pressing a special "d" button on their remote.

I've never really looked into how these things work, but in this particular case it says you can get a present if you defeat "him" in the game.
There's some quick details here: http://www.fujitv.co.jp/dragonball_s/d/

Basically, you "fight" an enemy while watching the show by "drawing cards" with characters on them. You can draw one card every 3 minutes, and the damage you deal depends on which character is on the card you draw. If you manage to deal enough damage to defeat the enemy, you'll be given a keyword you can enter on the official site for an entry in a lottery where you can win some Dragonball merchandise.
There's also an additional lottery you can enter even if you didn't defeat the enemy, so I assume those that DID win the battle get to enter both of them.

It's a fairly standard system. "Push a button every now and then while watching to do something or other that will hopefully eventually result in you getting a chance to win some prizes". It's an okay way to ensure people watch the show live instead of just tape it.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:22 pm

What does the bottom text say here?

Shoryuken
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shoryuken » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:44 am

スーパーベジータ (Super Vegeta) and besides some kanji and kana that's far too blurry to make out.
これはシグネチャではない
Personal blog - myriadleaves.eu

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:34 am

It says Super Vegeta Super Saiyan / スーパーベジータ スーパーサイヤ人.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:18 pm

Thank you Shoryuken and TheDevilsCorpse. Much appreciated.

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:22 am

Hello, everyone.

Been having a debate about Gohan's line in Super about not being able to access all of his power because he hasn't been training--and being unable to hold Super Saiyan for long. Some seem to think Gohan has kept up with his training, which is why they're disputing the line.

Are these translations inaccurate in any way?
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

DragonBallGuy

Post by DragonBallGuy » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:56 am

I hate to bug, but could you guys please translate, what they say in this Doujinshi?

I've tried to translate the text myself using Google Translate, but to no avail.
Last edited by DragonBallGuy on Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please deactivate this account.