The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Banana
Not-So-Newbie

Re: The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Post by Banana » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:02 pm

Analytic wrote:In the original, does Goku say "we" or "I" when asking about becoming a Super Saiyan?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler][spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
The Japanese language often omits the we or I- which occurs in that dialogue. That's exactly what happened here- there's no ore or ore-tachi or anything among those lines in the quote as the writing completely omitted that. Based on context though, considering fusions require same power levels/ki, Goku is most likely asking if "we" should to Vegeta, so it doesn't make sense for him to ask about himself in that circumstance unless Vegeta is already transformed. (I haven't seen that part of the manga though.)
Goku: Are you a Yoshi?
Piccolo: Yes, Goku, I'm a green ****ing dinosaur.

Banana
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Banana » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:13 am

Banana wrote:
Analytic wrote:In the original, does Goku say "we" or "I" when asking about becoming a Super Saiyan?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler][spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
The Japanese language often omits the we or I- which occurs in that dialogue. That's exactly what happened here- there's no ore or ore-tachi or anything among those lines in the quote as the writing completely omitted that. Based on context though, considering fusions require same power levels/ki, Goku is most likely asking if "we" should to Vegeta, so it doesn't make sense for him to ask about himself in that circumstance unless Vegeta is already transformed. (I haven't seen that part of the manga though.)
Apologies for the double post, but it will no longer let me edit this. Image is huge so I put it in the spoiler tags.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

I screwed up the context - I just so happened to be watching the episode right now and Goku has not come close to fusing yet - this was a conversation between Goku and Old Kai on the Kaioshin planet still getting the logistics down. Plus I automatically accidentally assumed it was Vegeta which was wrong, as he was talking about fusing with Gohan instead.

So to answer your question, the translation of "we" may have been wrong, however it may not have been either, as Goku said exactly the same thing in the manga phrase and in the show in the screenshot I posted. "sou da! supa saiyajin ni natte kara kono potaratte no wo tsukatta hou ga ii no kana" was what was said in the Japanese audio and also written in the manga, so this could go either way. He could have been talking about himself and Gohan at the same time, as Old Kai states that transforming before the fusion would likely shorten their lifespans and that SSJ would be better off achieved after the fusion. However, Goku could have also just been asking for himself out of curiosity and then relay the information to Gohan when they plan on meeting up on whether or not it's best to transform earlier to fusing. The context isn't actually helping as much as it should, and this could go either way for such a small detail. It does make more sense for "we" though, as fusion does require two parties!
Goku: Are you a Yoshi?
Piccolo: Yes, Goku, I'm a green ****ing dinosaur.

Madason of Gotha

Post by Madason of Gotha » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:15 pm

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

I collected these excerpts from the Daizenshuu 2 and numbered them. May these please be translated? Thanks in advance.

DB▪Magnum-Expert
Beyond Newbie

Post by DB▪Magnum-Expert » Tue May 01, 2018 12:24 pm

Can someone translate the following for me?

This is from Daizenshuu 10:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

This box mainly speaking:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
People I'm always keen to Debate with for the sole purpose of increasing experience and joy:

Analytic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Analytic » Sat May 05, 2018 1:02 pm

It seems kind of weird that Pan would call Vegeta her uncle, but not Goten. Is that a Vizism or is something similar said in the original as well?

Analytic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Analytic » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:05 pm

I apologize if this is this question is inappropriate for this thread, but is there a difference between transliteration and romanization? For example, is "Turles" a romanization or transliteration of "Tāresu" (or neither)?

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:10 am

This is probably a no-brainer, but I wanted to have someone look at the grammar and structure of this 99%-certainly-fake guidebook excerpt.
It's supposedly hard, debunkinating proof from a guidebook that Freeza's real 100% power was 200 million, but withstanding the Spirit Bomb weakened him to 120 million. I'm sure it was tossed together by someone with a dumb agenda and a very sloppy understanding of Japanese, but I can't read (very much of) the language myself to confirm it, so...

The fact that it expresses 120 million and 200 million with a bunch of zeroes instead of Japanese's dedicated "hundred million" and "ten thousand" characters is already a glaring sign on its own. Not to mention that it supposedly comes from the "first issue of Dragonball Chozenshu," and I'm sure we would have translated anything power levels related from the Chozenshuu ages ago. But I wanted to be three-for-three and find out if the actual Japanese is as sloppy or outright nonsensical as I suspect it is.

Hey, maybe we can add it to the "Fake Battle Powers" article.
Analytic wrote:Image
It seems kind of weird that Pan would call Vegeta her uncle, but not Goten. Is that a Vizism or is something similar said in the original as well?
Watching this 28th tournament scene in the anime would confirm what terms she used, but I'm too lazy right now, so...

She probably called Vegeta "ojii-san," which literally translates to "uncle" or "grandpa" or whatever, but in a less literal sense can just refer to a familiar older person. Pan using the term for Vegeta (a guy she knows who's roughly the same age as her actual grandpa) is totally appropriate. Goten, meanwhile, may not have merited the "jii-chan" title considering he's still basically a kid himself despite already being someone's uncle. I'm pretty sure that Pan calls him that later in GT, though.
Analytic wrote:I apologize if this is this question is inappropriate for this thread, but is there a difference between transliteration and romanization? For example, is "Turles" a romanization or transliteration of "Tāresu" (or neither)?
Well just by definition, "transliteration" is simply the act of expressing the sounds of a word as accurately as possible, while "romanization" means to specifically do so with the Roman alphabet. So "Tāresu" is a both a transliteration because it expresses ターレス in something other than its original Japanese, and it's a romanization because it expresses it in English/Roman letters as opposed to, like... Korean or Russian or something.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:44 am

Kaboom wrote:This is probably a no-brainer, but I wanted to have someone look at the grammar and structure of this 99%-certainly-fake guidebook excerpt.
It's supposedly hard, debunkinating proof from a guidebook that Freeza's real 100% power was 200 million, but withstanding the Spirit Bomb weakened him to 120 million. I'm sure it was tossed together by someone with a dumb agenda and a very sloppy understanding of Japanese, but I can't read (very much of) the language myself to confirm it, so...

The fact that it expresses 120 million and 200 million with a bunch of zeroes instead of Japanese's dedicated "hundred million" and "ten thousand" characters is already a glaring sign on its own. Not to mention that it supposedly comes from the "first issue of Dragonball Chozenshu," and I'm sure we would have translated anything power levels related from the Chozenshuu ages ago. But I wanted to be three-for-three and find out if the actual Japanese is as sloppy or outright nonsensical as I suspect it is.

Hey, maybe we can add it to the "Fake Battle Powers" .
It's definitely fake and it's probably an american putting his text into Google Translate.
Did someone quote it on another DB board?
I first saw it in the linked video and knew from the beginning it was a joke video just making fun of us all for relying on obscure guidebooks in a language we don't understand.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:52 am

Oh yeah, like I said I can already tell it's fake. I was just curious about how bad the actual Japanese is, and what it's trying to say.
deviantART
[thread]

Analytic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Analytic » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:06 am

So, why does Kēru have an accented 'e' while Kefura doesn't? Is there any reason it would be dropped when combining Kale and Caulifla's name?

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:04 am

So can we clear up what Goku said when he went SSB in episode 100? I was under the impression he said he powered up "a little" or "a bit" but the "official" translations say no such thing.

Bando
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bando » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:48 pm

Hi guys, I was wondering if たぶん could mean perhaps as in maybe or possibly in this context?:

あいつぐらいの強さかなたぶん

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:35 am

Bando wrote:Hi guys, I was wondering if たぶん could mean perhaps as in maybe or possibly in this context?:

あいつぐらいの強さかなたぶん

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Yes that's what 多分 means. It's more than 50% likely but not certain.

Bando
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bando » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:38 pm

RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote:
Bando wrote:Hi guys, I was wondering if たぶん could mean perhaps as in maybe or possibly in this context?:

あいつぐらいの強さかなたぶん

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Yes that's what 多分 means. It's more than 50% likely but not certain.
Thank you for clarifying. Do you think か would add to that uncertainty? I found this as a possible meaning on jisho.org:
4. hmm; huh​ See also とか, indicates doubt, uncertainty, etc.; sometimes after other particles
And so I looked up とか:
1. among other things; such things as; or something like that​

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:10 pm

Bando wrote: Thank you for clarifying. Do you think か would add to that uncertainty? I found this as a possible meaning on jisho.org:
Yup 「~かな」further suggests uncertainty, much to the woe of power scalers

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:36 am

Can someone translate these two images please? I would like to know if they say Gohan used Super Saiyan during his fight against Broly.

Image Image
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:46 pm

Another little tidbit I'm curious about, and yes, it's related to a dumb strength "debate" that refuses to die.

Dabra's little bio in Daizenshuu #7's character guide says his battle power is "equal to Cell's." What Japanese term for "equal" is used there? Is it the same word Nappa used to compare the Saibaimen to Raditz, which only means "similar" or "roughly the same?" Or is it something more strict?
deviantART
[thread]

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:12 am

Grimlock wrote:Can someone translate these two images please? I would like to know if they say Gohan used Super Saiyan during his fight against Broly.
Since stuff is chopped off and the only things visible in their entirety are the blue captions...

"[Even] Gohan, who became a Super Saiyan..." (rest is just Broli's power being so overwhelming)

And the other one is effectively just "Here's Gohan; he's Super Saiyan on the left".
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:00 am

VegettoEX wrote:Since stuff is chopped off and the only things visible in their entirety are the blue captions...

"[Even] Gohan, who became a Super Saiyan..." (rest is just Broli's power being so overwhelming)

And the other one is effectively just "Here's Gohan; he's Super Saiyan on the left".
It is really odd that the name itself "Super Saiyan 2" seemingly does not appear anywhere in the guibooks and whatnot despite all that notable differences in visual. I was having a conversation and they would use the absence of the name to prove that Gohan didn't use Super Saiyan 2 in the movie.

Anyways, thank you so much!
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:06 am

Grimlock wrote:I was having a conversation and they would use the absence of the name to prove that Gohan didn't use Super Saiyan 2 in the movie.
You may find this interesting/amusing :).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::