The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Re: The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:56 am

Ashy-kun wrote:*whistles innocently*

http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopi ... 69#p431869

I don't have all of it translated, but I did do a majority of it.
Oh I didn't know you edited it :o
And thank you! :D

lonewolf

Post by lonewolf » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:32 am

Translation request please, thanks in advance.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:40 pm

"In that case, the entire universe is done for. Majin Boo will surely come here, too." (By the way, it doesn't hurt to post the entire page, just for context. Sometimes, I find translating a single panel a little difficult, if I don't remember what scene it was from...)
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Perfect » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:03 pm

It'd be pretty cool if eventually we could add all these translations to scans and make a full "Dazexian" translation of the manga.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:43 pm

Daizenshuu EX is based in North America. Viz is based in North America. They own the rights. We don't.

Not happening.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Ashy-kun
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ashy-kun » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:39 am

o.o;; Plus, you do realise you just asked all us translators to essentially translate all of the manga, with that implication?
Your freelance, amateur translator, with over a year's worth of self-taught experience. Once an honorary member of Team Kinniku, and a man with his work shown in various places here and there. If you have a song you'd like me to look over, I'll happily look it over and see if I can translate it for you.

Most Recent Song Added to Ashy-kun's Song Translation Topic: Yoake no Kodomo-tachi (Translated: The Children of the Dawn)

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:53 am

Ashy-kun wrote:o.o;; Plus, you do realise you just asked all us translators to essentially translate all of the manga, with that implication?
Yeah! Get to work goddammit!!
We want a proper translation of the DB manga and not Viz's bullcrap.
And about licensing and stuff, obviously we are just going to purchase the rights to DB from Viz, because that's just how awesome we are!!! :twisted:

... Seriously though: what EX said...

Ashy-kun
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ashy-kun » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:59 am

There is also the other problem that some of us (read: me, because I'm the freak when it comes to translating) have distinctive translating styles, and even then certain people translate things differently, so there would no doubt be inconsistencies. Like, I dunno... My translations of how Gokuu speaks (which others think to be overdoing it) or how some of us do the names. Like one page would probably have something like "Hey, y'all, I ain't this there Cacarrotto guy", and someone else would be saying "You cur, I do not call myself Kakarot". (Silly examples, but yeah.)
Your freelance, amateur translator, with over a year's worth of self-taught experience. Once an honorary member of Team Kinniku, and a man with his work shown in various places here and there. If you have a song you'd like me to look over, I'll happily look it over and see if I can translate it for you.

Most Recent Song Added to Ashy-kun's Song Translation Topic: Yoake no Kodomo-tachi (Translated: The Children of the Dawn)

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:02 am

Ashy-kun wrote:There is also the other problem that some of us (read: me, because I'm the freak when it comes to translating) have distinctive translating styles, and even then certain people translate things differently, so there would no doubt be inconsistencies. Like, I dunno... My translations of how Gokuu speaks (which others think to be overdoing it) or how some of us do the names. Like one page would probably have something like "Hey, y'all, I ain't this there Cacarrotto guy", and someone else would be saying "You cur, I do not call myself Kakarot". (Silly examples, but yeah.)
Yeah exactly, I saw how you translated their names in the fanworks sub forum, which isn't compatible with how Herms does for example, so yeah I agree.

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:58 am

Just let Herms translate the whole manga himself (which he have probably already did, but didn't tell us) and receive the whatever penalty he gets for not having rights, while we all enjoy a nice manga with good translation. Yeah, that's the way.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:24 am

hleV wrote:Just let Herms translate the whole manga himself (which he have probably already did, but didn't tell us) and receive the whatever penalty he gets for not having rights, while we all enjoy a nice manga with good translation. Yeah, that's the way.
That would take...a really long time. I don't wanna.

Although legally speaking, would there be any penalty for just creating a translated script of the dialogue, as opposed to an actual scanslation?
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:35 am

Ashy-kun wrote:There is also the other problem that some of us (read: me, because I'm the freak when it comes to translating) have distinctive translating styles, and even then certain people translate things differently, so there would no doubt be inconsistencies. Like, I dunno... My translations of how Gokuu speaks (which others think to be overdoing it) or how some of us do the names. Like one page would probably have something like "Hey, y'all, I ain't this there Cacarrotto guy", and someone else would be saying "You cur, I do not call myself Kakarot". (Silly examples, but yeah.)

This is something that is of interest to me. The speech patterns.

I just recently started buying the Viz version of DB and was kinda put off by Piccolo's weird speech pattern. I mean is there some reason they made him sound like that?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:36 am

You get into muddy water there with the difference between an original versus derivative work, and then once you cross into "distribution" it falls more out of your favor.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:57 am

Michsi wrote:I just recently started buying the Viz version of DB and was kinda put off by Piccolo's weird speech pattern. I mean is there some reason they made him sound like that?
As far as Piccolo goes, no, not really. In Japanese his speech style isn't really different than, say, Vegeta's. But apparently the people at Viz decided that, perhaps because he was (the reincarnation of) a centuries-old demon, then he ought to talk in some faux-archaic style, even though he didn't do so in the original. Meanwhile, Murasaki (Purple), a character who as part of his whole ninja persona actually does talk in a (faux?)-archaic style, talks normally in Viz.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:00 pm

VegettoEX wrote:You get into muddy water there with the difference between an original versus derivative work, and then once you cross into "distribution" it falls more out of your favor.

Actually what I was asking was if THIS speech pattern is the equivalent of what he sounds like in japanese. I've seen the anime in japanese and it didn't sound like that to me but I'm no expert and I can't read the original.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:16 pm

Herms wrote:
Although legally speaking, would there be any penalty for just creating a translated script of the dialogue, as opposed to an actual scanslation?
I don`t think its illegal to type/write the dialog of a particular series/movie/manga or translating it to other language, as far as I`m aware, since its not really a book. A book can be faithfully reproduced just by using text, manga and/or comics, can not. Its basically like writing/typing the dialog of a movie. But I can be wrong of course.

That being said, a fully accurately translated script of the manga in english would be awesome... But, of course, that would be a lot of work.

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:50 pm

Herms wrote:
hleV wrote:Just let Herms translate the whole manga himself (which he have probably already did, but didn't tell us) and receive the whatever penalty he gets for not having rights, while we all enjoy a nice manga with good translation. Yeah, that's the way.
That would take...a really long time. I don't wanna.

Ofc not, you simply provide a better translation, which english-speaking people never got. Someone could later add those texts to manga balloons :mrgreen:.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:20 pm

hleV wrote: Ofc not, you simply provide a better translation, which english-speaking people never got. Someone could later add those texts to manga balloons :mrgreen:.
Well, most people here have the manga. So putting the translation in scans of the manga would be unnecessary (and pretty much illegal, since the scans are pretty much illegal, unless it consists of personal scans of our personal manga and only meant for personal use, not meant to be distributed across the internet to other people).

A complete english script of all the manga translated by Herms would be more than enough.
The script would only have to refer to which chapter and page its from and it would be awesome.
Anyone with the manga could go check it to see how accurate its translation is and to clarify any doubt.

But like I said, thats too much trouble for Herms and anyone else.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:39 pm

But guys, a translation is a translation. We have official and accurate translations from a bunch of sources in different languages. Just because a couple fans add some English idioms and fancy dialogs into it doesn't make it any difference as long as the point gets across while remaining accurate to the original. There's no need for Herms or any translator who thinks he's/she's slick enough to not get caught with the law(not to say that they do think this way) to make their own translation of the whole manga. That'd be ridiculous because:

1. They have their own lives
2. They wouldn't get paid.
3. There's literally no need as we already have good translations all around from official sources.
4. There's the chance of facing time in jail.

Tl;dr: It'd be a waste of time.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:54 pm

NeoKING wrote:But guys, a translation is a translation. We have official and accurate translations from a bunch of sources in different languages. Just because a couple fans add some English idioms and fancy dialogs into it doesn't make it any difference as long as the point gets across while remaining accurate to the original. There's no need for Herms or any translator who thinks he's/she's slick enough to not get caught with the law(not to say that they do think this way) to make their own translation of the whole manga. That'd be ridiculous because:

1. They have their own lives
2. They wouldn't get paid.
3. There's literally no need as we already have good translations all around from official sources.
4. There's the chance of facing time in jail.

Tl;dr: It'd be a waste of time.
Nothing can stop Herms the werewolf of legend!!!
Also Herms made the strength checker, which he didn't get paid for.
And can we get back on track? It's not like anyone seriously believe that even though he IS Herms, that he would translate all 7000 pages! Or am I wrong?