The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ahill1
Regular

Re: The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Post by ahill1 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:17 pm

I have a doubt. After Freeza defending himself from Goku's Kaioken x20 KMHMH, this latter said Freeza wasn't bluffing about using 50% of his power.

This was translated as "He was really using 50% of his powers" or so. Wouldn't the "has been using 50%" be better in that situation? Goku concluded Freeza wasn't bluffing, so Freeza should have increased his powers for Goku realize this. But the "he really is using 50%" seems to imply that [50%] was what Freeza was using at that point. In fact, the anime translated by Steve Simmons used "has been", as to referring to what Freeza was using when kicking Goku's ass, not just at that moment.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:45 am

ahill1 wrote:I have a doubt. After Freeza defending himself from Goku's Kaioken x20 KMHMH, this latter said Freeza wasn't bluffing about using 50% of his power.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

This was translated as "He was really using 50% of his powers" or so. Wouldn't the "has been using 50%" be better in that situation? Goku concluded Freeza wasn't bluffing, so Freeza should have increased his powers for Goku realize this. But the "he really is using 50%" seems to imply that [50%] was what Freeza was using at that point. In fact, the anime translated by Steve Simmons used "has been", as to referring to what Freeza was using when kicking Goku's ass, not just at that moment.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Now that you mention it, I'd like to know this as well.

The fact that Goku could tell Freeza really had been using only half his power suggests to me that Freeza must have powered up considerably, this makes sense since if his battle power was equal to Goku's at that time he probably wouldn't be able to take a full power Kamehameha with barely any damage.

We know that it wasn't any higher than 70% since that's how much he was using against SSJ Goku at first.

ahill1
Regular

Post by ahill1 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:44 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:
ahill1 wrote:I have a doubt. After Freeza defending himself from Goku's Kaioken x20 KMHMH, this latter said Freeza wasn't bluffing about using 50% of his power.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Now that you mention it, I'd like to know this as well.

The fact that Goku could tell Freeza really had been using only half his power suggests to me that Freeza must have powered up considerably, this makes sense since if his battle power was equal to Goku's at that time he probably wouldn't be able to take a full power Kamehameha with barely any damage.

We know that it wasn't any higher than 70% since that's how much he was using against SSJ Goku at first.
Exactly. For Goku to conclude Freeza wasn't just bluffing, he had to have raised his powers, otherwise how would Goku confirm it? But the "he really is using half of his power" confuses things a little. I'd argue he raised his power to 60% or so.

München X Cisf

Post by München X Cisf » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:07 pm

It's published by Shueisha, like Daizenshuu and Super Exciting guide and the orginal language of that guide is Japanese, but was translated to Spanish, for them.
"Original text and design was created in Japan by SHUEISHA inc, Tokyo"
"El texto original y los diseños fueron creados en Japón por SHUEISHA inc, Tokyo"
That guide has some interviews with Akira Toriyama.

Akira Toriyama talking about saiyans hair.

Akira Toriiyama talking about Super Saiyans.

Akira Toriyama talking about androids 17 and 18. And what happened with Pilaf,Shu and Mai.

Cars are the passion of Akira Toriyama, stated by himself. And even he made QVOLT.

He likes the animals.

Akira Toriyama makes models in his studio (photos of his workshop)

Akira Toriyama, and his work tools (Photos).

Akira Toriyama himself explains how to draw Goku and Vegeta.

Akira Toriyama, and his beloved penholder.

Akira Toriyama, re-teach how to draw Goku (Advanced)

His preferred references material (photos)

Akira Toriyama and his favorite computers (photos)

Akira Toriyama and his favorite graphic tablets photos)

Akira Toriyama talks about coloring before the digital age

Akira Toriyama talks about Son Goku.

And thats not all interviews.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:54 am

München X Cisf wrote:*Bunch of images*
It's funny how only the Chrome browser(or at least out of the browsers I have) can show these images on this page. I wonder what makes it so, I mean I can see that the images link to "google usercontent whatever", so it must have something to do with that.

Anyways, this is the first time I see Toriyama's graphic tablet from the mid 90'es, I guess. Good stuff overall and it's always appreciated to see an artist give example of how to quickly draw their characters.

München X Cisf

Post by München X Cisf » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:51 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
München X Cisf wrote:*Bunch of images*
It's funny how only the Chrome browser(or at least out of the browsers I have) can show these images on this page. I wonder what makes it so, I mean I can see that the images link to "google usercontent whatever", so it must have something to do with that.

Anyways, this is the first time I see Toriyama's graphic tablet from the mid 90'es, I guess. Good stuff overall and it's always appreciated to see an artist give example of how to quickly draw their characters.
Please ¿Where I can publicate all of that interviews with Akira Toriyama?

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:10 pm

München X Cisf wrote:Please ¿Where I can publicate all of that interviews with Akira Toriyama?
You can create a topic for it, I guess.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

München X Cisf

Post by München X Cisf » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:57 pm

Sandubadear wrote:
München X Cisf wrote:Please ¿Where I can publicate all of that interviews with Akira Toriyama?
You can create a topic for it, I guess.
Thanks I'll try.

valfranx
Beyond Newbie

Post by valfranx » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:47 pm

Could someone please translate this?

本シリーズは海外で展開された『ドラゴンボールオンライン』の設定を取り入れていて、“仮面のサイヤ人”が登場すると聞いていますが……。

平野 “仮面のサイヤ人”は、鳥山先生の深い設定を活かしたいと考え、参戦させることを決めました。『ドラゴンボールオンライン』は、鳥山先生が全面監修を担当したタイトルで、大量の設定やキャラクター、世界観などが用意されていたんです。そのお宝のような設定にスポットライトを当てたい、というのも『ゼノバース』シリーズのコンセプトのひとつですね。

source: http://blog.livedoor.jp/toshiboking/arc ... 76644.html

The producer of xenoverse talks about the involvement of akira with dbo and the relation of dbx with dbo.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:05 am

Near as I can tell there's nothing we don't already know. Toriyama has lots of involvement with Online and its supervision, and they (well, at least Hirano) decided to bring the "Masked Saiyan" (Bardock) from that story over to Xenoverse because it was cool.

FWIW, this is all just re-pasted from an interview Famitsu did with Hirano. There's one for the first Xenoverse as well, both of which we have archived away for eventual full translation...
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:47 pm

What does this say?

München X Cisf

Post by München X Cisf » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:07 pm

Which translation is the correct one? In the first translation, Zamasu says Goku increases tens of times his power as a Super Saiyan 2. But in the second translation, he mentions his strength not only increases 10 times, but 10 times over 10 (100 times).

Source
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yqwe3Ks7uk
Since minute 0:23.

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:03 am

München X Cisf wrote:Which translation is the correct one? In the first translation, Zamasu says Goku increases tens of times his power as a Super Saiyan 2. But in the second translation, he mentions his strength not only increases 10 times, but 10 times over 10 (100 times).[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Source
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yqwe3Ks7uk
Since minute 0:23.
According to Herms: "several times over...no, several dozen times over!"
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:44 pm

Has there ever been any scary translations before?

ahill1
Regular

Post by ahill1 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:29 pm

Does someone know how is the following said in the original? The highlighted part:

This was posted by a member on another forum and I wanted to know how is it worded in the original and if these recaps are written by AT.

ahill1
Regular

Post by ahill1 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:09 am

So it's the same in the original?

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:47 am

ahill1 wrote:So it's the same in the original?
Pretty sure it has already been translated in this thread somewhere...
And IIRC it was different in the original with no mention of Goten and Trunks' strength.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:37 am

ahill1 wrote:So it's the same in the original?
Your bump-posts are deleted because there's no need to do so; if someone is going to answer, they're going to do so regardless of whether you keep asking. If anything, a continued ask works against you.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:10 am

I tracked down when it was posted and asked about last time, and yeah, Viz's version of that intro page is almost completely different, and the bit about Goten and Trunks was an embellishment on their part.

viewtopic.php?p=969068#p969068

Herms wrote:Long story short, it's almost completely different. The Japanaese introduction devotes half its space to explaining about events from up to the start of the Red Ribbon arc. It's kind of ridiculous.
Herms wrote:
Galan007 wrote:Does it mention anything about Goten/Trunks being the strongest heroes left on earth, or is that just VIZ spicing it up?

It's something Viz added. Here's a translation of the original summary:
Long, long ago. Son Goku set out on a journey in search of the seven dragon balls, which summon Shenlong when assembled, and gathered them all after a grand adventure. However, the balls were almost used for evil purposes, and ended up granting a stupid wish. After granting a wish Shenlong wouldn't appear again for over a year. In the meantime, Goku trained under Kame-sennin, and set out in search of the balls one more.

Time passed...The wizard Babidi awakened Majin Boo, who began killing all life on Earth. In order to defeat this mighty foe, Goten and Trunks at last perfected Fusion. However, just as Majin Boo befriended Satan and was about to give up killing, a terrible change occurred...!!

I told you it was a bit ridiculous.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

ahill1
Regular

Post by ahill1 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:42 pm

Thanks for the information!

Also, sorry for the insistence but it was kind a crucial information to me :angel: