The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Re: The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Post by NeoKING » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:09 pm

dbgtFO wrote: Nothing can stop Herms the werewolf of legend!!!
Also Herms made the strength checker, which he didn't get paid for.
And can we get back on track? It's not like anyone seriously believe that even though he IS Herms, that he would translate all 7000 pages! Or am I wrong?
But, the strength checker is his own creation and is not licensed by Viz, lol...

I have a question regarding the word "Saiya." It's not really a translation question, but is this the official translation that TOEI uses for "Saiyajin?" I remember in GT, Baby(pre-Vegeta infection) uses "Saiya" instead of "Saiyajin." Is "Saiya" used in other parts of the Japanese version, or was that just Baby-thing only?

Ashy-kun
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ashy-kun » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:18 pm

It is in one of the many songs. I need to quickly check. I'm pretty sure it's either Movie 12's ending theme or Movie 13's ending theme.

Watch this space as I look for it.

EDIT: Ja-jaaan. Found it. It's in the Movie 12 ending theme, "Saikyou no Fusion", "The Mightiest of Fusions".

They use "Saiya", as in "Saiya no chikara", the power of the Saiya, or Saiyan power.
Last edited by Ashy-kun on Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your freelance, amateur translator, with over a year's worth of self-taught experience. Once an honorary member of Team Kinniku, and a man with his work shown in various places here and there. If you have a song you'd like me to look over, I'll happily look it over and see if I can translate it for you.

Most Recent Song Added to Ashy-kun's Song Translation Topic: Yoake no Kodomo-tachi (Translated: The Children of the Dawn)

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:26 pm

Can I get a translation of this page?
http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/6885/039qw.jpg
@Ashy-Kun Sorry, but I found it before you :P Movie 12 ending theme!!

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:32 pm

dbgtFO wrote:Can I get a translation of this page?
Piccolo: "Guh..."

Freeza: "I do apologize for making you wait... Now then, shall we get the second round underway?"

Piccolo: "He's... unreal!"

Krillin: "B-But... doesn't it seem as if he hasn't changed all that much...?!"

Vegeta: "Don't... be ridiculous! Just try and feel out all the power he's holding back...!! It makes everything he had before look tame...!!"

I think, don't quote me on this, sorry. But, it's something like this.

EDIT: Thanks, Ashy and dbgtfo. So, Saiya is never used in the actual dialogs, only in that theme?

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:37 pm

NeoKING wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:Can I get a translation of this page?
Freeza: "I do apologize for making you wait... Now then, shall we get the second round underway?"
This was basically why I asked for a translation, since I thought it was weird that the number 2 was in there. I was just checking to see, if Freeza said something about becoming twice as strong as before.

Thank you by the way!

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:41 pm

dbgtFO wrote: This was basically why I asked for a translation, since I thought it was weird that the number 2 was in there. I was just checking to see, if Freeza said something about becoming twice as strong as before.

Thank you by the way!
Yeah, he's literally asking for "the second battle"/"battle number 2," I think.

Ashy-kun
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ashy-kun » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:50 pm

Piccolo: "... ... Kuu-..."
Freeza: "O-mataseshimashita ne... Saate... Dainikaisen to ikimashou ka?"
Piccolo: "Ba-... Bakamono-me...!"
Dende: "..."
Kurilin: "Ta-... Taishite kawattenai n'ja nai ka...!?"
Vegeeta: "Ba-... Baka-me...! Senzai power wo saguttemiro...!! Sa-...Sakki made to wa ma-mata betsumono da zo...!!"

- - - - -

Piccolo: "... ... Kh-..."
Freeza: "Ah, my, I have kept you waiting, have I not... Well, now... Shall we go onto the second round then?"
Piccolo: "G-... Goddamn monster...!"
Dende: "..."
Kurilin: "W-... Well, it's not like he's really changed that much at all, is it!?"
Vegeeta: "Y-... You friggin' idiot...! Just try feeling out for that dormant power of his...!! Even against just a while ago, this is a whole other case entirely...!!"

- - - - -

As a rule of thumb, think of "kaisen" along the lines of "rounds". Like "Ikkaisen/Daikkaisen" is round one/the first round, "Dainikaisen" is the second round, etc.
Your freelance, amateur translator, with over a year's worth of self-taught experience. Once an honorary member of Team Kinniku, and a man with his work shown in various places here and there. If you have a song you'd like me to look over, I'll happily look it over and see if I can translate it for you.

Most Recent Song Added to Ashy-kun's Song Translation Topic: Yoake no Kodomo-tachi (Translated: The Children of the Dawn)

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:18 pm

NeoKING wrote:I have a question regarding the word "Saiya." It's not really a translation question, but is this the official translation that TOEI uses for "Saiyajin?" I remember in GT, Baby(pre-Vegeta infection) uses "Saiya" instead of "Saiyajin." Is "Saiya" used in other parts of the Japanese version, or was that just Baby-thing only?
Japanese merchandise like cards and figures and whatnot have used "Saiyan" as the English translation of Saiya-jin since basically forever. Sometimes you'll even see サイヤン, the actual term "Saiyan" written in katakana. There are some figures of Super Saiyan characters that use that on their boxes, and it's used for a combo attack in Attack of the Saiyans.

"Saiya" minus the jin isn't really supposed to be a translation of Saiya-jin, but just an alternate term for the race, near as I can tell. The name of the Super Famicom RPG for instance is Super Saiya Densetsu, "Super Saiya Legend". And the name of the Vegeta side-story featured in the first DBZ Anime Special magazine is Hokoritakaki!! Saiya no Ouji Bejiita, "High Pride!! The Saiya Prince Vegeta". In GT, the term サイヤパワー/Saiya pawaa, "Saiya power" is used as a term for, well, a Saiyan's power. It just seems to be like "battle power" or other such terms, only specifically for Saiyans.

Also, there's no reason to capitalize all the letters in Toei's name (at least no more so than any other company's name). It's not an acronym of anything.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:30 pm

Herms wrote:
NeoKING wrote:I have a question regarding the word "Saiya." It's not really a translation question, but is this the official translation that TOEI uses for "Saiyajin?" I remember in GT, Baby(pre-Vegeta infection) uses "Saiya" instead of "Saiyajin." Is "Saiya" used in other parts of the Japanese version, or was that just Baby-thing only?
Japanese merchandise like cards and figures and whatnot have used "Saiyan" as the English translation of Saiya-jin since basically forever. Sometimes you'll even see サイヤン, the actual term "Saiyan" written in katakana. There are some figures of Super Saiyan characters that use that on their boxes, and it's used for a combo attack in Attack of the Saiyans.

"Saiya" minus the jin isn't really supposed to be a translation of Saiya-jin, but just an alternate term for the race, near as I can tell. The name of the Super Famicom RPG for instance is Super Saiya Densetsu, "Super Saiya Legend". And the name of the Vegeta side-story featured in the first DBZ Anime Special magazine is Hokoritakaki!! Saiya no Ouji Bejiita, "High Pride!! The Saiya Prince Vegeta". In GT, the term サイヤパワー/Saiya pawaa, "Saiya power" is used as a term for, well, a Saiyan's power. It just seems to be like "battle power" or other such terms, only specifically for Saiyans.
So, it's just an alternate name for the race just like how "mankind" is for "humankind?"
Also, there's no reason to capitalize all the letters in Toei's name (at least no more so than any other company's name). It's not an acronym of anything.
Yeah, it's... a dumb habit, sorry.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:36 pm

NeoKING wrote:
Yeah, it's... a dumb habit, sorry.
I myself have always done that, simply because their logo has it written like that:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... go.svg.png
But I guess it isn't necessary apparently...

Herms

Post by Herms » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:42 pm

NeoKING wrote:So, it's just an alternate name for the race just like how "mankind" is for "humankind?"
I suppose it's more directly comparable to how English-speaking fans refer to the inhabitants of Planet Namek as both "Namekians" or simply "Nameks".
dbgtFO wrote:I myself have always done that, simply because their logo has it written like that:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... go.svg.png
It's pretty common for logos to be written in all caps. I mean, do you call them "TOEI ANIMATION"?

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:52 pm

Herms wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:I myself have always done that, simply because their logo has it written like that:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... go.svg.png
It's pretty common for logos to be written in all caps. I mean, do you call them "TOEI ANIMATION"?
Yes! I literally yell it out loud, whenever I talk about it(which is never :lol: ).

Then again I write Dragonball, even though it's logo writes it out as DRAGONBALL, so maybe I wasn't inspired by the logo afterall... :? I don't really know..
Ashy-kun wrote:*Translation*
Thank you too! :)

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Perfect » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:58 pm

Ashy-kun wrote:o.o;; Plus, you do realise you just asked all us translators to essentially translate all of the manga, with that implication?
I was merely saying it'd be neat to eventually add up everything into a collection, I never said it'd have to be a translation in full. Over 8,000 pages with one page a day would take 27 years, if I did my math correctly.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:10 am

What are the official names in japanese for the Buu forms? I can imagine that most of them are give in the Daizenshuu and so

- The fat Majin Buu, usually know by fans as "Fat Buu"
- The fat Majin Buu after splitting, called "Good Buu" and later "Mr. Buu"
- The thin Majin Buu, called "Pure Evil Buu"
- Super Buu, in japanese "Shin Buu"
- Super Buu after absorbing Gotenks, know by fans as "Gotenks Buu" or "Fusion Buu"
- Super Buu after absorbing Gohan, know by fans as "Mystic Buu"
- Kid Buu after absorbing the first Kaioshin, know by fans as "Buff Buu"
- Kid Buu

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:36 am

Fox666 wrote:What are the official names in japanese for the Buu forms?
Herms has a whole thread on the subject.

http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopi ... =7&t=14226
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:18 am

Thanks, that's extremely helpfull :wink:

lonewolf

Post by lonewolf » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:04 pm

Another translation request please, thank you in advance.

Herms

Post by Herms » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:10 pm

I've already done those as part of the Strength Checker:

Chapter: 304 (DBZ 110), P14.8
Context: after Freeza blasts Dende
Piccolo: “I…I couldn’t see it…I only [saw] something flash…Impossible…”

Chapter: 310 (DBZ 116), P13.3-4
Context: after Goku escapes from the entrapment ball
Piccolo: “The instant of the explosion, he used super speed to free himself from the paralysis…”
Gohan: “H-he did something that incredible…in that instant?”
Piccolo: “They’re monsters, both of them…Damn it all…”

edit: oh yeah, Kuririn's speech bubble is "Goku, how did he...?"
Last edited by Herms on Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:13 pm

lonewolf wrote: Another translation request please, thank you in advance.

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h356/aloner1/2.png
Strength Checker wrote:Chapter: 304 (DBZ 110), P14.8
Context: after Freeza blasts Dende
Piccolo: “I…I couldn’t see it…I only [saw] something flash…Impossible…”
Strength Checker wrote:Chapter: 310 (DBZ 116), P13.3-4
Context: after Goku escapes from the entrapment ball
Piccolo: “The instant of the explosion, he used super speed to free himself from the paralysis…”
I don't know what his first speech bubble said though... but!
This guy named Herms has taken care of all Strength related statements over in his Strength Checker Guide:
http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopi ... =7&t=15488
You should check it out :wink:

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:23 pm

Does this scan have any interesting information?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... x=73&ty=81