The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:50 pm

It has nothing to do with strength. It's talking about how Trunks as a Super Saiyan feels like Goku as a Super Saiyan. Super Saiyans have a unique ki "feel." This is referenced a few times in the manga.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

ahill1
Regular

Post by ahill1 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:21 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:It has nothing to do with strength. It's talking about how Trunks as a Super Saiyan feels like Goku as a Super Saiyan. Super Saiyans have a unique ki "feel." This is referenced a few times in the manga.
Where?

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:28 pm

ahill1 wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It has nothing to do with strength. It's talking about how Trunks as a Super Saiyan feels like Goku as a Super Saiyan. Super Saiyans have a unique ki "feel." This is referenced a few times in the manga.
Where?
The first one that comes to mind is when Goten and Trunks can no longer recognize their fathers by their ki after they go SSJ2. There are a few others as well, but I don't feel like looking them up.

The quote itself is pretty obvious based on Herms' notes, though. I don't see why you need it spelled out for you.
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).

ahill1
Regular

Post by ahill1 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:30 am

Someone could tell me what Trunks said in this page? Please.

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:38 pm

ahill1 wrote:Someone could tell me what Trunks said in this page? Please.

Just Trunks? He's literally asking "that sort of.is it in that way?". It's kind of like asking "oh.Really?" but in that way that he doesn't really need an answer. Does that make sense? There's not much meaning to it I don't think. It's just his reaction to Goku.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:32 pm

Darkprince410 wrote:However, Herms indicated that the overall layout and everything else about it isn't correct, and it's later been proven to be an edited and altered version of this (it's missing the Tori-bot and the majority of the text is different in the original image vs the edited one you posted).
Thanks! But the text you posted/translated is also in the original version?
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

ahill1
Regular

Post by ahill1 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:12 pm

RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote:

Just Trunks? He's literally asking "that sort of.is it in that way?". It's kind of like asking "oh.Really?" but in that way that he doesn't really need an answer. Does that make sense? There's not much meaning to it I don't think. It's just his reaction to Goku.
But did he say something like: "Is that powerful?" ? At least in Viz, he wondered if Cell is really that powerful.

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:17 pm

ahill1 wrote:

But did he say something like: "Is that powerful?" ? At least in Viz, he wondered if Cell is really that powerful.
yeah, his exact Viz line is "It's... that powerful? I was afraid of that." Which isn't literally explicitly what he says in Japanese. Regardless, if you wanted it for a power debate, it won't help you much.

ahill1
Regular

Post by ahill1 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:30 pm

RedRibbonSoldier#42

So Trunks did not say anything about Cell being more powerful than he expected in the Japanese manga?

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:18 pm

ahill1 wrote:RedRibbonSoldier#42

So Trunks did not say anything about Cell being more powerful than he expected in the Japanese manga?
Not in that speech bubble, no.

ahill1
Regular

Post by ahill1 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:39 pm

So Viz was wrong, right? Shit!

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:35 pm

ahill1 wrote:

So Viz was wrong, right? Shit!
"Wrong" is not what I would say about it.
Last edited by RedRibbonSoldier#42 on Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:00 am

Grimlock wrote:
Darkprince410 wrote:However, Herms indicated that the overall layout and everything else about it isn't correct, and it's later been proven to be an edited and altered version of this (it's missing the Tori-bot and the majority of the text is different in the original image vs the edited one you posted).
Thanks! But the text you posted/translated is also in the original version?
No, the text I posted was only from the faked version you linked. The text from the actual version that I linked is a good deal different.

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:36 am

Is there anywhere that has the translation to the new 30th anniversary book? I'd like to know what it says. Thanks :)
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:41 am

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:Is there anywhere that has the translation to the new 30th anniversary book? I'd like to know what it says. Thanks :)
We have posted Toriyama's introduction and his long interview. More to come... at some point!

We cannot and will not, of course, translate the entirety of the book.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:55 am

VegettoEX wrote:
LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:Is there anywhere that has the translation to the new 30th anniversary book? I'd like to know what it says. Thanks :)
We have posted Toriyama's introduction and his long interview. More to come... at some point!

We cannot and will not, of course, translate the entirety of the book.

Thanks. I hate having a book on my shelf I can't read. And hate even MORE that it's not made to English, like Viz.....just do it! Shut up and take my money! So much dragonball book related content never translated into English. Sigh....
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:18 pm

So like I mentioned I was going to do in this thread, I'm hoping someone can elaborate on how the Japanese version words this small back and forth between Goku and Vegeta.

From what I understand, Fusion with a capital "F" and that uses the English pronunciation is the name for the Metamors' merging technique. A more general term would be used if characters are talking about merging otherwise. That said, Goku definitely says capital-F Fusion in the above panels. Is he saying that only Metamorian Fusion works inside of Boo's body, or is he saying fusion in general works under the right circumstances (and maybe Toriyama accidentally used the wrong word given the context)?

Because if it's the former, I guess we could assume that if Gotenks got absorbed but put up a barrier and later dropped it, he would have stayed fused inside Boo's body unlike Vegetto.

Thanks in advance!

ahill1
Regular

Post by ahill1 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:58 pm

I still want to get a little more deep in Gohan's line in this moment. Does that mean Goku (Namek) ~ Trunks (Mecha saga)? I really need to know that, please.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:29 pm

ahill1 wrote:
I still want to get a little more deep in Gohan's line in this moment. Does that mean Goku (Namek) ~ Trunks (Mecha saga)? I really need to know that, please.
Gohan's comment is literally the same ki, not the same size of ki (since you were looking for his input on it, Herms comments on that fact in the strength checker). He's pointing out that it's the same nature or type of ki that Goku had as a Super Saiya-jin on Namek, and not necessarily the same amount of ki. Trunks could be stronger than Namek Goku, weaker than Namek Goku, or equal to Namek Goku, the line simply doesn't say.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:55 pm

Darkprince410 wrote:
ahill1 wrote:
Gohan's comment is literally the same ki, not the same size of ki (since you were looking for his input on it, Herms comments on that fact in the strength checker). He's pointing out that it's the same nature or type of ki that Goku had as a Super Saiya-jin on Namek, and not necessarily the same amount of ki. Trunks could be stronger than Namek Goku, weaker than Namek Goku, or equal to Namek Goku, the line simply doesn't say.
He's gotten that same answer at least twice in the past few days in this very thread. I'm pretty sure on this very page, if not the one before it. That's not the answer he's looking for.
Malik_DBNA wrote: