The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Re: The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Post by Herms » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:31 pm

Birusu16 wrote:So I've seen these two scans on other DB forums and the translation is interesting.
"Thanks to the power of this God-like form, Son Goku has achieved a power not seen in any dimension! Even the mightiest champions of GT pale in comparison to the Super Saiyan God!"
"The prince of the Saiyans confronts the God of destruction himself! After Beerus struck Bulma down Vegeta entered an extremely rare but powerful state, in which he is able to tap into the Godly power that flows through his people's veins since the dawn of their existence! He is able for a short moment fight Beerus, but ultimately falls short to his power and fails."
Can anyone let me know if the scans and translations are valid? Would prove extremely helpful and I'd thoroughly appreciate it.
Both translations are 100% bullshit. The first scan doesn't mention anything about GT whatsoever, while the second one merely says that after his lover Bulma is "slighted" by Beerus, Vegeta's anger erupts and causes him to momentarily surpass Goku.

As for the scans themselves, they look legit enough (ie probably not a fake some fan threw together, or at least not a poor one), but I don't know what source they were taken from. Both just say basic things like explaining what Oozaru transformation is, or about Vegeta's Gallick Gun attack (...does he even use that in BoG?). The watermark on the bottom indicates that the scans were taken by some Chinese website.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:39 pm

Herms wrote:As for the scans themselves, they look legit enough (ie probably not a fake some fan threw together, or at least not a poor one), but I don't know where they're from. Both just say basic things like explaining what Oozaru transformation is, or about Vegeta's Gallick Gun attack (...does he even use that in BoG?). The watermark on the bottom indicates that the scans were taken by some Chinese website.
Yeah, Vegeta's finishing move against Beerus was a purple energy attack performed Akin to the Galick Gun IIRC, so it did seem like the Galick Gun.
That chinese website is pretty good and has a lot of nice scans from guidebooks, fanmanga, even some manga volumes in japanese and chinese.
I can't recall seeing that scan anywhere though, so it might have been posted on their message board.
That Vegeta one looks like it could have come from a movie pamphlet, the design seems to match, what I recall from that pamphlet..

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:01 pm

dbgtFO wrote:Yeah, Vegeta's finishing move against Beerus was a purple energy attack performed Akin to the Galick Gun IIRC, so it did seem like the Galick Gun.
It is. They even paid attention to detail and got the hand positions right.
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:06 pm

That is so awesome.
Thanks for posting that FatNagger!

xmysticgohanx
Regular

Post by xmysticgohanx » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:06 pm

Herms can you translate this please:
Apparently it's from the chozenshuu http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/88/t212 ... tion-scan/
Canon is Jaco, Dragon Ball except for EoZ, Dragon Ball Super anime and manga (both are separate canons)
Kai >>> Z
Current Roshi/Kulilin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SSJ3 Gotenks

Herms

Post by Herms » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:32 pm

Yeah, it’s from Chouzenshuu 4’s technique dictionary. They’ve got a rather expansive notion of what a “technique” is, so transformations are included too. All the Super Saiyan forms (as of the release of BoG, so no SSGSS) are featured, along with Neko Majin’s “Super Neko Majin” transformation. Those pictures of Super Saiyan 4 and God are from the entries for those forms. It doesn’t say anything terribly interesting about either of them, sadly. Per the book’s setup, both of these are listed as techniques derived off regular Super Saiyan, and the * indicates that they originate from the anime. For some reason, Super Saiyan 4 is categorized as “Special”, while Super Saiyan God doesn’t have any category listed at all.
Super Saiyan-Derived Technique:
Super Saiyan 4*

Category: Special
People: Gogeta, Son Goku, Vegeta
Characteristics: An ultimate form surpassing Super Saiyan 3. In “DBGT”, Goku transformed into a Golden Great Ape after getting his tail back. He regained his reason thanks to Pan speaking to him, and became Super Saiyan 4. Since it is a different being than prior Super Saiyans, he gets red hair covering his body and long black hair on his head. Vegeta also became Super Saiyan 4 by using the Super Bruits Wave Generator Bulma made.

Super Saiyan-Derived Technique:
Super Saiyan God*

People: Son Goku
Characteristics: The condition is that 6 Saiyans with righteous hearts must be assembled. It is then created when 5 of the righteous Saiyans send their ki into the remaining one. In the film “Battle of Gods”, Goku became Super Saiyan God when he received ki from Gohan, Goten, Trunks, Vegeta, and Pan inside Videl’s womb. He powers up to such an extent that he far surpasses Super Saiyan 3, his hair becomes red, and his body becomes somewhat slender.

xmysticgohanx
Regular

Post by xmysticgohanx » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:42 pm

thanks bro
Canon is Jaco, Dragon Ball except for EoZ, Dragon Ball Super anime and manga (both are separate canons)
Kai >>> Z
Current Roshi/Kulilin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SSJ3 Gotenks

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:16 pm

Can someone link me to a translated Daizenshuu 7? Specifically for the Item Dictionary? This one here is not working for whatever reason.

I just need what it says on the potara.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:55 pm

SSJ2FutureGohan wrote:Can someone link me to a translated Daizenshuu 7? Specifically for the Item Dictionary? This one here is not working for whatever reason.

I just need what it says on the potara.
Herms actually translated the entirety of it and posted it on this message board way before they got it up on kanzentai:
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 0&p=346537
Potara
First Appearance: chapter 501
Category: miscellaneous
Explanation: Ear decorations worn by Kaioshins and their attendants for generations. Despite being worn so casually, they’re actually an incredible power-up item. The Elder Kaioshin gave them to Goku as a trump card for defeating Majin Buu.
Special Characteristics: To use them, the two people who will merge simply each take one of the two earrings and put in on their left or right ear, respectively. Furthermore, after merging the power is greater than with Fusion. However, the two people will automatically merge as soon as the earrings are put on, and in principle will be unable to ever split up again, so caution is needed when handling them. The merged person will only split up when touched by the air inside Majin Buu’s body. Also, while with Fusion the post-merged clothing is the native dress of the people of Planet Metamor, when merging with the Potara not only are the two people’s bodies mixed together, but their clothing is as well. In addition, pathetically enough the East Kaioshin and his attendant Kibito merged together without knowing a thing about Potara fusion. (Daizenshuu 4, p.163)

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:18 pm

Thank you, dbgtFO!

Alex9196
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alex9196 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:22 am

i just watched episode 63 of dbz recently again and the title said:

Is This Some Super-Magic or Just a Trick?!
Mr. Gurd is Angry!

is gurd guldo? and is guldo a wrong translation of his name? if the name is wrong, does that also apply to the other members of the ginyu force? are all their names wrong translations? does anyone know that?

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:28 am

Yes. From Herms' name pun roundup:
Ginyu Special-Squad
Each member of the squad is named for a dairy product. The Special-Squad itself (特戦隊/toku-sentai in Japanese) is named after the Super Sentai series, a genre of Japanese children's television programs that feature teams of costumed superheroes battling monsters. These shows are produced by Toei, owner of Toei Animation, the animation studio responsible for DragonBall, DragonBall Z, and DragonBall GT. Footage from Japanese sentai shows were edited, dubbed, and combined with new footage of American actors to create Power Rangers. Sentai shows typically feature teams of five costumed heroes, each one a different color, who fight using elaborate poses that originated in Kabuki theater. The connection to the Ginyu Special-Squad should be obvious. In his Daizenshuu 2 interview, Toriyama admits this connection, saying his inspiration was his son’s love of sentai shows. The Great Saiyaman also shows a strong sentai influence.

Ginyu
From milk, specifically cow’s milk.
Toriyama Explanation: “This is of course from gyuunyuu. I thought it’d be good to think of the names from things that you put in refrigerators, so I was able to complete the names for the Freeza-related characters without much difficulty.”
Source Spelling: 牛乳/gyuunyuu
Name Spelling: ギニュー/Ginyuu

Gurd
Toriyama Explanation: “I thought that I’d name all of Ginyu’s underlings after dairy products, and Gurd is taken from yogurt.”
Source Spelling: ヨーグルト/yooguruto
Name Spelling: グルド/Gurudo

Jheeze
Toriyama Explanation: “This is a pun on cheese.”
Source Spelling: チーズ/chiizu
Name Spelling: ジース/Jiisu

Butta
Toriyama Explanation: “Butter of course.”
Source Spelling: バター/bataa
Name Spelling: バータ/Baata

Recoome
Toriyama Explanation: “It’s cream.”
Source Spelling: クリーム/kuriimu
Name Spelling: リクーム/Rikuumu
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:32 am

Alex9196 wrote:i just watched episode 63 of dbz recently again and the title said:

Is This Some Super-Magic or Just a Trick?!
Mr. Gurd is Angry!

is gurd guldo? and is guldo a wrong translation of his name? if the name is wrong, does that also apply to the other members of the ginyu force? are all their names wrong translations? does anyone know that?
All five of their names are puns on dairy products. There are tons of valid ways to transliterate and adapt their names.

The character you're talking about is グルド. A direct romanization of that is: gu - ru - do. Due to the way there's no truly distinct R vs. L sound in Japanese, you can then definitely see how "Guldo" would come out of that. The thing is, his name is a pun on "yogurt". That word is ヨーグルト (yōguruto). If you drop that first sound, and change the "to" to a "do" sound, that's how you get the character's name!

And this is where you can see how translation is more an art than a science. When you're adapting names like this - particularly puns! - you have lots of options. Do you go with a direct romanization? Do you preserve the pronunciation from Japanese? Do you adapt the spelling to reflect what the pun source spelling is?

And that's why we go with "Gurd" for a spelling. It comes from "yogurt", but the name ends in a "d" sound and not a "t" sound, so that's all we do with it.

Check Herms' name pun explanations for a whole bunch more information.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Alex9196
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alex9196 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:34 am

thanks i will from now on refer to them with their real names.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:16 pm

I've got someone on another forum practically begging me to ask for clarification about this Daizenshuu #7 entry:
Specifically, the part where it talks about Vegetto's abilities, more specifically-er, the part talking about how "his strength doesn't change even if his shape/form does." Apparently, the official French translation combined two parts and says that Vegetto's Super Saiyan transformation doesn't change his shape...
...and someone else who translated it for this person says the same thing. But the old Kanzentai translation presents that as a separate sentence/thought from the Super Saiyan bit, and obviously referring to when Boo turned Vegetto into candy.
I'm sure the Kanzentai translation is correct. It seems like an easy translation mistake to make, to me.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Herms

Post by Herms » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:02 pm

通常形態から超サイヤ人状態に変身可能。形が変わっても強さが変わらないなどの特徴がある。

"Capable of transforming from normal state to Super Saiyan state. Has special characteristics such as his strength not changing even if his form changes."

Pretty straightforward: one sentence describing how he can turn Super Saiyan, then a separate sentence saying how his strength stays the same in different shapes. And yeah, presumably the second sentence is a reference to him still being strong as a candy ball, since 形/shape isn't used to refer to different Super Saiyan transformations the way 形態/state is. You can potentially translate both words as "form", but their meaning is fairly distinct in that regard.

valfranx
Beyond Newbie

Post by valfranx » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:07 pm

please someone could translate this text of the Chozenshuu 4?

Herms

Post by Herms » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:09 pm

It’s the entry for Galaxy, and originally appeared in Daizenshuu 7:
Galaxy
A local collection of stars and planets in outer space. A nebula is a collection of stars and planets, and in turn a collection of several nebulae is called a galaxy. Being responsible for the north/south/east/west, the four Kaios in practice oversee these galaxies. The divides between north/south/east/west galaxies are units which the celestial gods and Kaios produced for occupational purposes, in order to unify the galaxies which exist infinitely in outer space.
First, I’m told the astronomy here is basically hopeless, at least as far as the real world goes. In reality, nebulae are not subdivisions of galaxies, but I suppose things must be different in DB World. Confusing the matter is that the Japanese word for nebula used here, 星雲/sei’un, is sometimes used to mean galaxy, as a holdover from the days before modern astronomy. That’s actually that’s where the character Zeiun in DBZ movie 4 gets his name from: Slug’s henchmen Angiras, Dorodabo, Medamatcha, and Zeiun are collectively a pun on アンドロメダ星雲/Andoromeda-sei’un, “Andromeda Galaxy”, even though アンドロメダ銀河/Andoromeda-Ginga is the more standard Japanese name for the place. This might partially explain why the book treats sei’un and ginga as simply smaller and bigger versions of fundamentally the same type of thing.

The other annoying thing is how 星/hoshi can potentially mean either “star” or “planet” depending on the context. There are other more technical words specific to each one, but in everyday Japanese they’ve got hoshi as a catch-all term, another holdover from pre-modern times when every shiny thing in the sky was treated as the same. Here we’ve got the quasi-plural 星々/hoshi-boshi, and it’s talking about what a galaxy consists of, so it seems most natural to treat it as referring to both stars and planets.

I suppose from a DB continuity standpoint, the big thing is that the last sentence seems to say that there are infinite galaxies (or at least that they exist infinitely, whatever the hell that means). This is of course perfectly reasonable by real-world standards (unless you take “infinite” literally), but the typical view with DB is that they are only supposed to be four: north, south, east, and west. This is actually what Daizenshuu 7/Chouzenshuu 4 itself specifically says several times elsewhere, despite seeming to say otherwise in this one entry. So take that as you will.

Also, since this entry originally appeared in Daizenshuu 7, it predates the notion of the DB World consisting of twelve universes, and Chouzenshuu 4 doesn’t update the entry to reflect this new idea. So all this talk about north/south/east/west galaxies and “infinitely existing” galaxies only refers to Universe #7. Even if Universe #7 has just the four galaxies, with eleven other universes out there, the grand total for the DB World would presumably be higher (it’s easy to assume the new total is 4x12=48, but each universe might not be so uniform).

valfranx
Beyond Newbie

Post by valfranx » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:07 am

Herms wrote:It’s the entry for Galaxy, and originally appeared in Daizenshuu 7:
Galaxy
A local collection of stars and planets in outer space. A nebula is a collection of stars and planets, and in turn a collection of several nebulae is called a galaxy. Being responsible for the north/south/east/west, the four Kaios in practice oversee these galaxies. The divides between north/south/east/west galaxies are units which the celestial gods and Kaios produced for occupational purposes, in order to unify the galaxies which exist infinitely in outer space.
First, I’m told the astronomy here is basically hopeless, at least as far as the real world goes. In reality, nebulae are not subdivisions of galaxies, but I suppose things must be different in DB World. Confusing the matter is that the Japanese word for nebula used here, 星雲/sei’un, is sometimes used to mean galaxy, as a holdover from the days before modern astronomy. That’s actually that’s where the character Zeiun in DBZ movie 4 gets his name from: Slug’s henchmen Angiras, Dorodabo, Medamatcha, and Zeiun are collectively a pun on アンドロメダ星雲/Andoromeda-sei’un, “Andromeda Galaxy”, even though アンドロメダ銀河/Andoromeda-Ginga is the more standard Japanese name for the place. This might partially explain why the book treats sei’un and ginga as simply smaller and bigger versions of fundamentally the same type of thing.

The other annoying thing is how 星/hoshi can potentially mean either “star” or “planet” depending on the context. There are other more technical words specific to each one, but in everyday Japanese they’ve got hoshi as a catch-all term, another holdover from pre-modern times when every shiny thing in the sky was treated as the same. Here we’ve got the quasi-plural 星々/hoshi-boshi, and it’s talking about what a galaxy consists of, so it seems most natural to treat it as referring to both stars and planets.

I suppose from a DB continuity standpoint, the big thing is that the last sentence seems to say that there are infinite galaxies (or at least that they exist infinitely, whatever the hell that means). This is of course perfectly reasonable by real-world standards (unless you take “infinite” literally), but the typical view with DB is that they are only supposed to be four: north, south, east, and west. This is actually what Daizenshuu 7/Chouzenshuu 4 itself specifically says several times elsewhere, despite seeming to say otherwise in this one entry. So take that as you will.

Also, since this entry originally appeared in Daizenshuu 7, it predates the notion of the DB World consisting of twelve universes, and Chouzenshuu 4 doesn’t update the entry to reflect this new idea. So all this talk about north/south/east/west galaxies and “infinitely existing” galaxies only refers to Universe #7. Even if Universe #7 has just the four galaxies, with eleven other universes out there, the grand total for the DB World would presumably be higher (it’s easy to assume the new total is 4x12=48, but each universe might not be so uniform).
I think these terms galaxy north / south / east / west are more like denominations, of the than a physical galaxy, I think the best term would be quadrant as pointed out on choozeshuu 1 or area/zone as pointed by the Daizenshuu 7/4.
エリア
Area
Means each region of the universe, which is divided into East, West, South, North. It is expressed as the "East Area" and the "West Area." The areas divided into East, West, South, North are governed by respective Kaiou.
[Par.] Like the universe, the Demon Realm is also divided into multiple areas.
地区
District
Earth is divided into 43 administrative sectors. Means one of those sectors. Also, the four areas of east, west, south, and north that the universe is divided into could each similarly be called districts. In other words, it means a sector split for convenience in administrative action.
HEAVENLY PEOPLE
People of the Heavenly Realm, who exist in every region of the universe. Once the area that they supervise is decided, their duty is to always watch over that area.
The sections known as the East-West-North-South Galaxies only utilize Kami as administration units, and the lifeforms who reside in the Living World are able to freely travel the galaxies.
The worlds they supervise are predetermined.
The various Kaio govern the infinitely expansive universe. This is primarily determined by the compass points, while the Dai Kaio serves as general manager of the places governed by the Kaio, and beyond that the Kaioshin of the North, East, South, and West govern the universe. Ultimately, the Dai Kaioshin supervises the universe in its entirety.
At the time of Planet Namek's annihilation, the existence of administrative zones was clarified.
in other words each kaio / Kaioushin oversees 1/4 of the universe and dai kaioshin 4/4 of the universe.
about galaxies that exist "infinitely" not would be more appropriate "innumerable"? They sometimes use these infinite terms as a way of saying that there are many galaxies in each area of the universe.