The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Re: The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:41 pm

What does it say in the last panel? This is from Toyble's Dragon Ball AF, and I was wondering if it says anything about Dragon Ball Heroes, since many speculate that Toyble is Toyotaru, the creator of the Dragon Ball Heroes manga, and we see the silhouette of Beat, the protagonist of DBH.

James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:21 pm

It doesn't mention DB Heroes directly, either on this or the other page up in the AF thread, but it's pretty clearly implied. Yi Xing Long says that Toyble, the ruler of this world, cannot continue the story because he has begun something else instead (and was saying something about a card battle). In the last panel Toyble writes that he cannot currently continue drawing AF, but it is very dear to him and he intends to continue it no matter how many years it takes.

So, yeah...I'd say it's all but confirmed that Toyble is the artist of the DB Heroes manga.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:28 am

I see. So, Toyble really is Toyotaru, and DBAF will be on a hiatus. Thanks Herms!

Also, not very DB-related, but I would like to know the names of those 3 characters from Dr. Slump.

James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

valfranx
Beyond Newbie

Post by valfranx » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:41 pm

what this text says about hatchiyack?

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:52 am

Gonstead wrote:Sorry to ask this again but could somebody please translate the text on these two Goku toy images?

and

Thanks!
And one more request.

Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Herms

Post by Herms » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:29 pm

It's a full action pose "Super Saiyan Yardrat-type" figure from Bandai, 200 mm high, with cloth clothes. It came as a present with a pamphlet, and those clothes were never commercially available. It's a super-rare item; they only made a limited number of them, and now it's impossible to get one.

The comic is a little hard to read.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:45 am

Herms wrote:It's a full action pose "Super Saiyan Yardrat-type" figure from Bandai, 200 mm high, with cloth clothes. It came as a present with a pamphlet, and those clothes were never commercially available. It's a super-rare item; they only made a limited number of them, and now it's impossible to get one.

The comic is a little hard to read.
Awww, I was kinda hoping there would be some stuff we hadn't heard before but thanks anyway.

As for the doujin, guess I'll have to buy it since I can't find it online.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:25 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:I see. So, Toyble really is Toyotaro, and DBAF will be on a hiatus. Thanks Herms!

Also, not very DB-related, but I would like to know the names of those 3 characters from Dr. Slump.
Sure thing.
Princess Cusmat [="Muscat"]

The princess of Nanaba [="Banana"] Kingdom, who came to Penguin Village chased by the Chakabo [=Kabocha, "pumpkin squash"] Kingdom's airship. Her appearance is astonishingly identical to Akane's, but her personality is the complete opposite: ladylike and refined.
Bisuna [=nasubi, "eggplant/aubergine"]

Scoundrel of the Chakabo Kingdom, who has chased Princess Cusmat to Penguin Village on his airship. He tries to usurp the Nanaba Kingdom by taking the princess hostage, but mistakenly kidnaps Akane, who looks just like her.
Teapot Genie

A barbarous genie whom Bisuna has readied as his trump card to take over the Nanaba Kingdom. He was sealed in a teapot by Bisuna's ancestor, but Tsukutsun hits it with a rock, releasing the seal.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:37 pm

Thanks a lot Julian! :D

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:04 pm

Can someone verify these messages. People think this all means that Broly is the absolute strongest, stronger than Boo, Vegetto, SSJ4 Gogeta etc.

"なお、誰一人として単独でブロリーを圧倒した者は存在していない。このような驚異的設定であるが

またバーダック編などの劇場版ㆍTV版脚本を手がける脚本家の小山氏からは恐怖の象徴であるとと

もに、ドラゴンボール世界最強の存在とコメントされている。

This quote kinda means Broly is strongest in 1 on 1, hand to hand battle since nobody even match the strength of Broly in the series and movies therefore Koyama says he is the most fearsome and strongest of all characters in DB series and so on.

DVDガイドブック- 劇場版ㆍTVアニメも含めて設定上の最強はブロリー、正攻法では絶対勝てないと

しか言ってない

And also the DVD guidebook says within TV animation and manga and all the movies Broly's strength is recorded to be the most powerful character that nobody could beat on 1 on 1 battle.

サイヤ人に伝わる「伝説の超サイヤ人」。ベジータすら戦意を無くすほど脅威に満ちており、ピッコ

ロと悟空の同時攻撃を平然と避けるなど、その体型からは想像もつかないスピードを誇る。悟空達と

は違い変身における体への負担が一切なく、それどころか劇中で「気が高まる……溢れる」とある様

に、逆に気が抑えきれない程溢れ出る始末である。その為他のサイヤ人とは異なり、ブロリーの気は

何もしていなくても無限に上昇してゆくと記されている。

and plus the last part of this quote says Broly's strength is something that cannot be mesured and it is constantly rising and rising."

All of that I put in quotes.

Herms

Post by Herms » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:48 am

We should really start charging for Broli-related stuff.

Anyway, are there scans or anything to go along with those quotes? Because before translating them, it'd be nice to confirm that they're actually statements from something official or otherwise worthwhile, and not just stuff somebody on the internet happened to write in Japanese.

Really, it seems to just be a general summary of what other sources have said about Broli. Which is great and all, but we should probably be translating those original sources rather than this sort of second-hand summary.

valfranx
Beyond Newbie

Post by valfranx » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:13 am

Herms wrote:We should really start charging for Broli-related stuff.

Anyway, are there scans or anything to go along with those quotes? Because before translating them, it'd be nice to confirm that they're actually statements from something official or otherwise worthwhile, and not just stuff somebody on the internet happened to write in Japanese.

Really, it seems to just be a general summary of what other sources have said about Broli. Which is great and all, but we should probably be translating those original sources rather than this sort of second-hand summary.
herms appeared some new information dragon ball bog:
http://ameblo.jp/yoyocom69/entry-11627550581.html

it seems like a official FAQ on the film.

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:17 am

valfranx wrote:herms appeared some new information dragon ball bog:

It's a Q&A with Akira Toriyama from the Battle of Gods animanga, and I've already got that covered. Expect to see it on the site in the very near future.

EDIT: And here it is:
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... -toriyama/

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:36 pm

I can already tell you that those statements make no mention of Gogeta and such. The only ones mentioned are Bardock and Broly.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:26 am

SaiyaJedi wrote:
valfranx wrote:herms appeared some new information dragon ball bog:

It's a Q&A with Akira Toriyama from the Battle of Gods animanga, and I've already got that covered. Expect to see it on the site in the very near future.
Glancing at it, there look to be some interesting questions in there (hello, question about Gokû's ssjg looks?) and I look forward to reading the translation!

EDIT:
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

valfranx
Beyond Newbie

Post by valfranx » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:08 pm

Please herms could translate this: (Toei Anime Fair Movie Book Programs)

seems to reveal something about the family tree of goku and how broly died.

Herms

Post by Herms » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:35 pm

valfranx wrote:seems to reveal something about the family tree of goku and how broly died.
Eh, it's basically just a summary of the end of the movie. Goku powers up by receiving ki from his four allies, and defeats Broli with a single full-power blow.

The Saiyan family tree/organization chart doesn't say anything really worth mentioning. It's all stuff we all already know. King Vegeta is king of Planet Vegeta, Bardock is Goku's father and died fighting Freeza, etc.

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:42 pm

valfranx wrote:Please herms could translate this: (Toei Anime Fair Movie Book Programs)
That'll be $50, payable by cash transfer or PayPal. :P

In all seriousness, it doesn't say anything we don't already know.

Also, here's that Q&A translation I promised the other day:

valfranx
Beyond Newbie

Post by valfranx » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:58 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:
valfranx wrote:Please herms could translate this: (Toei Anime Fair Movie Book Programs)
That'll be $50, payable by cash transfer or PayPal. :P

In all seriousness, it doesn't say anything we don't already know.

Also, here's that Q&A translation I promised the other day:
:o :thumbup: the wait was worth it. Akira then opens the possibility of work in a new movie.

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:10 am

valfranx wrote: :o :thumbup: the wait was worth it. Akira then opens the possibility of work in a new movie.
Well, Toriyama leaves the possibility open, at any rate, even as he says he hasn't given it any thought.

I think Ōtomo is probably done with Akira, though.