How old is Gotenks?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

How old is Gotenks?

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:39 am

How old do you think Gotenks is? Goten and Trunks are 7 and 8 respectively, so the mean of those two ages are 7.5. But Gotenks appears to be taller than both of the kids. Is he just their ages added together, making him 15? And would his ageing process be accelerated?
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Michsi
I Live Here

Re: How old is Gotenks?

Post by Michsi » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:51 am

I'm pretty sure he is still a kid, 8 or something. Or maybe 7,5 years old?
Gohan also looked taller during his fight with Cell, but then shrunk down on the Lookout afterwards. I think it was just an artistic choice to make someone look more formidable.

But I have similar question regarding fusion and how they work. Take for instance Vegetto. There is a height difference between Goku and Vegeta, but Vegetto seems to be as tall as Goku instead of a little but shorter.
Last edited by Michsi on Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:51 am

Probably 8. I don't see how would a fusion make someone younger than any of the fusees originally were. Nor older than the oldest of the fusees.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:56 am

If Gotenks was 15, then Goku & Vegeta would get an instant death when merging into Veku/Gogeta/Vegetto.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:02 am

Michsi wrote:I'm pretty sure he is still a kid, 8 or something. Or maybe 7,5 years old?
Gohan also looked taller during his fight with Cell, but then shrunk down on the Lookout afterwards. I think it was just an artistic choice to make someone look more formidable.

But I have similar question regarding fusion and how they work. Take for instance Vegetto. There is a height difference between Goku and Vegeta, but Vegetto seems to be as tall as Goku instead of a little but shorter.
But, in all his appearances, Gotenks consistently looked taller than both Goten and Trunks, even if it was just an artistic choice to make him look formidable. And he can't have been that formidable the second time he fought Boo in his base form.

And I don't know about Vegetto. We know more about the conditions of Metamorian fusion than we do about Potara fusion.
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:If Gotenks was 15, then Goku & Vegeta would get an instant death when merging into Veku/Gogeta/Vegetto.
Fusion goes by the laws of magic, which is none, and both Gokuu and Vegeta are Saiyans who have broken past the wall of normal Saiyan capability and retain their youth longer than normal Earthlings. That's why 40-year-old Gokuu and 54-year-old Vegeta at the end of the series (only counting the years they've endured ageing alive) still look roughly the same as their Saiyan arc selves, Toriyama's evolving artistic style notwithstanding.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:16 am

But, in all his appearances, Gotenks consistently looked taller than both Goten and Trunks, even if it was just an artistic choice to make him look formidable. And he can't have been that formidable the second time he fought Boo in his base form.
It's true that he looks taller but not enough to be 15. I know Goku looked about the same when he 15 as he did when he was 12 but as the same time Gohan at 16 looks like a normal teenager.
Also, as it has been stated , that would mean that if they would fused in their 50's, they end up dead or very, very weak.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:20 am

Michsi wrote:
It's true that he looks taller but not enough to be 15. I know Goku looked about the same when he 15 as he did when he was 12 but as the same time Gohan at 16 looks like a normal teenager.
Yeah, Saiyan-Earthling hybrids seem to age at a normal Earthling rate.
Michsi wrote:Also, as it has been stated , that would mean that if they would fused in their 50's, they end up dead or very, very weak.
I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but read my above post again. Saiyans seem to get a growth spurt around 18 and don't really age throughout adulthood. I'm ignoring DBO for this discussion, as that's not necessarily manga canon. At least, it was never confirmed by Toriyama or the DBO staff/creators.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:36 am

Piccolo Daimao wrote: I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but read my above post again. Saiyans seem to get a growth spurt around 18 and don't really age throughout adulthood. I'm ignoring DBO for this discussion, as that's not necessarily manga canon. At least, it was never confirmed by Toriyama or the DBO staff/creators.
I read it and I think it still applies. Also, I think Toriyama mentioned that Saiyans have a limit to how long they can stay looking young before DBO, in an interview. And I specifically said 50's because because with the age adding rule Gotenks would be 100 and saiyans don't have a longer life span than humans. Not to mention that we are talking about half-saiyans and they might ag differently then humans. We already noted that the difference between 15 year old Goku and 16 year old Gohan.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:04 am

Michsi wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but read my above post again. Saiyans seem to get a growth spurt around 18 and don't really age throughout adulthood. I'm ignoring DBO for this discussion, as that's not necessarily manga canon. At least, it was never confirmed by Toriyama or the DBO staff/creators.
I read it and I think it still applies. Also, I think Toriyama mentioned that Saiyans have a limit to how long they can stay looking young before DBO, in an interview. And I specifically said 50's because because with the age adding rule Gotenks would be 100 and saiyans don't have a longer life span than humans. Not to mention that we are talking about half-saiyans and they might ag differently then humans. We already noted that the difference between 15 year old Goku and 16 year old Gohan.
I know that Toriyama said, and what I'm saying is that we still don't know exactly where the limit stops, so there's room for speculation. And I thought you were talking about Vegetto. I mean, it might still apply, but you know, different methods of fusion under different conditions.

And these half-Saiyans are obviously much, much stronger than both normal Earthlings and full-blooded Saiyans. They might drop in power, but Muten Roushi, who was over 300 years old, could still fight and hadn't keeled over yet.

I'm still just playing devil's advocate here, by the way. I'm just throwing out theories.

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:50 am

Gohan was PHYSICALLY NEARLY 18 at the time he was established to be 16, so you can't use him as a comparison to a 15 year old...

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:04 am

9 or 10 years old
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:12 pm

I know that Toriyama said, and what I'm saying is that we still don't know exactly where the limit stops, so there's room for speculation. And I thought you were talking about Vegetto. I mean, it might still apply, but you know, different methods of fusion under different conditions.

And these half-Saiyans are obviously much, much stronger than both normal Earthlings and full-blooded Saiyans. They might drop in power, but Muten Roushi, who was over 300 years old, could still fight and hadn't keeled over yet.

I'm still just playing devil's advocate here, by the way. I'm just throwing out theories.
No, with Vegetto I only mentioned the idea with the height, tough the same question applies to him.

And Roshi, though still strong, is probably way weaker than his younger self. So the resulting fusion could turn out way weaker than either of Goten or Trunks. Even if we don't know where the limit stops, there is little room for speculation when we know that a saiyan's life span isn't longer than than that of humans and that they rapidily degenerate after a certain age. It's hard to think they still be the same at the age of 90 something.
hleV wrote:Gohan was PHYSICALLY NEARLY 18 at the time he was established to be 16, so you can't use him as a comparison to a 15 year old...
Meh, I never gave much thought to that notion, if you age or not in the RoSaT. To me he was 16 (possibly 17 at the tournament). In any case, Goten was 16/17 at the end of DB and also looked like an adult. Also future Trunks.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:35 pm

Michsi wrote:
hleV wrote:Gohan was PHYSICALLY NEARLY 18 at the time he was established to be 16, so you can't use him as a comparison to a 15 year old...
Meh, I never gave much thought to that notion, if you age or not in the RoSaT. To me he was 16 (possibly 17 at the tournament). In any case, Goten was 16/17 at the end of DB and also looked like an adult. Also future Trunks.
I'm unsure how relevant this is to your point but....I came up with a theory that Saiyans grow and mature slightly faster as they train and increase their power, crediting the fact that their a warrior race So the young looking Gokuu could just be that he was weak, enabling him not to grow, while Gohan, Goten and Trunks all had extraordinary power, causing them to look fully grow by their late teens.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:59 pm

Michsi wrote:Gohan also looked taller during his fight with Cell, but then shrunk down on the Lookout afterwards.
He looks taller when he's Super Saiyan 2 because of the hair, Goku always looked taller too when he was Super Saiyan just because of that hair.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:14 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:
Michsi wrote:Gohan also looked taller during his fight with Cell, but then shrunk down on the Lookout afterwards.
He looks taller when he's Super Saiyan 2 because of the hair, Goku always looked taller too when he was Super Saiyan just because of that hair.
No, he clearly looks more developed and taller, even as a regular SSJ, where his hair isn't that much spikier than his normal hair. Look at the panels before he starts to fight Cell.

Kroni_Hunter
Regular

Post by Kroni_Hunter » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:40 pm

If I had to come up with an in-universe explanation, it would be Goten and Trunks' bodies were too immature to handle the necessery energy for a fused body, similar to how Goku could not use Shunkan Ido as a child. The fusion just took advantage of their aggregate ages to create a slightly more mature body.
"An optimist thinks that this is the best possible world; a pessimest fears that this is true."

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:39 pm

Well, age is technically 'how long has it been since you were born', so... I guess this question can't really be answered.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:33 am

If a kid and an elder merged together, what would happen? It would turns out in an adult, I guess. So I would say Gotenks has the body of a 7.5 years old kid.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:28 am

Is the Elder Kaioshin's backstory in the manga, or is it filler? Because that would explain how fusing with two separate ages works.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:15 am

Saiga wrote:Is the Elder Kaioshin's backstory in the manga, or is it filler? Because that would explain how fusing with two separate ages works.