Why Did Vegeta Think Freeza Wouldn't Change Much?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Why Did Vegeta Think Freeza Wouldn't Change Much?

Post by NeoKING » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:53 am

When Freeza threatened to transform the very first time, Vegeta explained that there are aliens in space who can change forms for whatever purpose, and to calm Krillin and Gohan down he asserted that "Freeza won't change much." Why, though? What was the reason behind this assertion that Freeza was bluffing?

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Why Did Vegeta Think Freeza Wouldn't Change Much?

Post by Saiga » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:56 am

NeoKING wrote:When Freeza threatened to transform the very first time, Vegeta explained that there are aliens in space who can change forms for whatever purpose, and to calm Krillin and Gohan down he asserted that "Freeza won't change much." Why, though? What was the reason behind this assertion that Freeza was bluffing?
He most likely assumed that he'd transform similar to Zarbon.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:52 am

Saiga wrote:
NeoKING wrote:When Freeza threatened to transform the very first time, Vegeta explained that there are aliens in space who can change forms for whatever purpose, and to calm Krillin and Gohan down he asserted that "Freeza won't change much." Why, though? What was the reason behind this assertion that Freeza was bluffing?
Ah, that's actually a pretty sound explanation.

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:00 pm

Yeah, think that if he was like Zarbon, his power would rise to about 700,000 but it got much higher at just the first transformation.

SSJ4_Zankuto
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ4_Zankuto » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:24 pm

Vegeta probably assumed Frieza will have small power increase like Zarbon's transformation.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:55 am

Fox666 wrote:Yeah, think that if he was like Zarbon, his power would rise to about 700,000 but it got much higher at just the first transformation.
He probably assumed it would only rise to something around 540,000

Smochi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Smochi » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:00 am

Saiga wrote:

I totally read this as "He most likely assumed that he'd transform into Zarbon."

The laughs I had.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:44 pm

Judging by what he'd seen from Zarbon's transformation, he probably assumed that Freeza's second form would increase in power similarly to him, but that he, Gohan and Kuririn would have a shot at defeating him if they worked together. However, he didn't count on Freeza arguably more than doubling his power in his second form.

Another theory is that he believed, if he received another Zenkai, he could easily surpass Freeza's second form. But upon seeing the extent of Freeza's strength, he lost all hope of surpassing Freeza, even with a Zenkai, and even so, Freeza's immeasurable power could potentially kill him before he got the chance to be revived and power up again.

Oh wait. I just realized Vegeta didn't know about Dende's regeneration ability until after seeing Gohan having his injuries healed by Dende. But if Vegeta honestly thought that the relative of a village he slaughtered would just willingly restore him to full power like nothing ever happened, just because Freeza was the greater danger at the time...maybe he's just overconfident to the point of being idiotic.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:53 pm

Honestly even if he's a child it was pretty fucking stupid of Dende not to revive Vegeta.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:07 am

Saiga wrote:Honestly even if he's a child it was pretty fucking stupid of Dende not to revive Vegeta.
Would you really be so quick to revive a man who'd mercilessly massacred an entire village of your siblings and later threatened to kill you if you didn't help him in his wish for immortality, just because there was a bigger problem at the time? Some people would rather die than sell out their morals by helping their enemy like that. It was only until a fellow Namekian that looked like Nail persuaded him that he finally revived him. So, anyway, he did it eventually.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:43 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
Would you really be so quick to revive a man who'd mercilessly massacred an entire village of your siblings and later threatened to kill you if you didn't help him in his wish for immortality, just because there was a bigger problem at the time? Some people would rather die than sell out their morals by helping their enemy like that. It was only until a fellow Namekian that looked like Nail persuaded him that he finally revived him. So, anyway, he did it eventually.
Yeah, I would, because I value the lives of my friends more than my morals. Being stubborn won't bring the Namekians back.