How long does time pass in the after life compared to Earth

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

How long does time pass in the after life compared to Earth

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:33 pm

I heard Kaio said 158 days earth time is a few thousand years, is that true.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Re: How long does time pass in the after life compared to Ea

Post by Bussani » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:41 pm

Chapter: 211 (DBZ 17), P2.4
Kaio: “Training here on this planet with me for 158 days…is as valuable as you training several thousand years on Earth.”
He just means that his training, under his planet's gravity, is much, much better than training on Earth and without his tutelage.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:45 pm

In the Boo arc Goku says there isn't any time in the afterlife, but it's not clear what that actually means.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:47 pm

Yeah, that's a pretty weird line... If there were no time in the afterlife, why was Goku racing against the clock to get to Kaio's, complete his training, and get back to Earth? Time sure seems to pass at the same rate to me.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:50 pm

Yeah, that does make the line seem pretty odd. I just assume that Goku meant time had much less meaning in the afterlife. I mean, the first time around, he was on the clock because he had something he had to do before coming back to life. That second time around though, he wasn't preparing for anything, he was just...uh...for lack of a better term, 'living his life'. Seven years probably went by in the blink of an eye from his perspective, in a place where nobody ages.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:55 pm

He makes the comment in question when talking about how Super Saiyan 3 eats up his energy in the living world.
Chapter: 476 (DBZ 282), P9.7
Context: Goku says he’s almost out of time for staying on Earth, and Piccolo says he should have more
Goku: “It’s that ‘Super Saiyan 3’ thing from before…It’s a technique you should only use in the afterlife…In this world, where time exists, it uses too much energy, and you get completely exhausted all at once…”
I'm really not sure what he was trying to say.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:59 pm

Bussani wrote:He makes the comment in question when talking about how Super Saiyan 3 eats up his energy in the living world.
Chapter: 476 (DBZ 282), P9.7
Context: Goku says he’s almost out of time for staying on Earth, and Piccolo says he should have more
Goku: “It’s that ‘Super Saiyan 3’ thing from before…It’s a technique you should only use in the afterlife…In this world, where time exists, it uses too much energy, and you get completely exhausted all at once…”
I'm really not sure what he was trying to say.
Oh, THAT'S where the comment comes in? ...I...huh. In the context of that scene then, it's even weirder. I've never really questioned the form using up his time due to how much energy it consumed, but him saying it's directly because time exists in this world...I don't really know what to make of that.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:00 pm

Maybe he meant where some time limitations exist?

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:33 pm

I guess he just meant that time didn't have much meaning in the afterlife, since your body isn't susceptible to age, death, or even deadlines. There may be exceptions, but who knows? We didn't get to explore enough of the afterlife and its...what's the word, culture? *shrugs*...in the manga.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:44 pm

We're told a few times that people don't age in the afterlife. So the only sense I can make of Goku's statement is that this property extends to eliminating or decreasing energy depletion and whatnot. Maybe tying into a more fantasy view of times as simply the force that makes things age and break down, like in Lord Dunsany's stories. Like Bussani said, time certainly does seem to exist in the afterlife, in as much as Goku can only train for 158 days on Kaio's planet. And of course all scenes set in the afterlife are a sequence of linear events, as opposed to...well, whatever a world without time would actually be like. The "no time" thing only seems to kick in for issues of wear and tear.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:47 pm

The seven year time frame after the Cell Games appeared to flow the same on both sides; Goku or the others don't really express there being a difference anyways.

Perhaps what Goku meant when speaking of time in reference to Super Saiyan 3 was him having no lifespan in the afterlife. I remember it stated how the form drained a lot of his vitality, so maybe it uses up life energy as well?

Ketchup_Revenge
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ketchup_Revenge » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:01 pm

As far as I understand it, the scientific principle of "time" doesn't actually exist in Other World. We know this because the characters who died don't age past the time that they died. And I don't think that Enma Daio or Kaiosama age either.
I wipe it off the tile, the light is brighter this time, everything is 3D blasphemy.
My eyes are red and gold, the hair is standing straight up, this is not the way I picture me.
I can't control my shakes, how the hell did I get here? Something about this, so very wrong.
I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn't like this. Is it a dream or a memory?

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm

I like Ketchup_Revenge's theory. It's not like we ever see nightfall in the afterlife. But then, time moves pretty slowly in Dragon Ball(as in the major arcs wrap up in hours or days). "Time" passes while Goku is running on Snake Way but the sky never changes and the actual passing of time is not apparent.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:28 am

Goku doesn't have to eat or sleep in the afterlife either, recall.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:33 am

With no ageing, need to eat, sleep, or energy loss, or sun in the afterlife, there are no indicators of the passage of time. So for someone who lives there, time doesn't exist. However, time still passes in the real world, and the afterlife isn't like the Digital World - when you return, it's not at the exact moment you left.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Ketchup_Revenge
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ketchup_Revenge » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:18 am

B wrote:"Time" passes while Goku is running on Snake Way but the sky never changes and the actual passing of time is not apparent.
That's actually a very good point.

Goku took almost nine months of a comparative year on Earth to get to Kaiosama's planet, and Snake Way is in Other World. So it probably makes more sense to say that the physical effects of time are not apparent, even though time still technically passes. So basically, it's an illusion of time.
I wipe it off the tile, the light is brighter this time, everything is 3D blasphemy.
My eyes are red and gold, the hair is standing straight up, this is not the way I picture me.
I can't control my shakes, how the hell did I get here? Something about this, so very wrong.
I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn't like this. Is it a dream or a memory?

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:13 pm

Ketchup_Revenge wrote:As far as I understand it, the scientific principle of "time" doesn't actually exist in Other World. We know this because the characters who died don't age past the time that they died. And I don't think that Enma Daio or Kaiosama age either.
Toriyama said that the Kaios live for some thousands of years, and the Kaioshins live for some millions of years,so they do age.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:13 pm

Right. It only seems to be the dead people who don't age, or need to eat or sleep--which makes sense because, body or no body, they are dead. Other than that, I think that's the most sense we can make out of Goku's comment.

Titan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Titan » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:06 pm

Basically, you can train 24 hours a day, because, you don't need to sleep or eat and your body
won't be strained by powerful techniques or transformations, therefore, Goku was able to keep his
Ssj3 longer in the after life than in the Earth.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:04 pm

Well yeah, that's how it works. It's just weird the way Goku words it.