Best father in the series?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Best father in the series?

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:43 pm

So, in honor of Father's Day, who do you think is the best father in DB?
I'm gonna go with Krillin. He seems to live a fairly normal life, and spends time with his daughter, and doesn't have the distractions that the Saiyans have.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Re: Best father in the series?

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:51 pm

Grandpa Gohan. He didn't even blame Goku for killing him.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:58 pm

Anyone with the name Gohan.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:59 pm

In terms of an actually fatherly role...?

... King Cold.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:54 pm

Kaboom wrote:In terms of an actually fatherly role...?

... King Cold.
I don't know.... He didn't particularly care when Freeza died :lol: .
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:35 pm

Piccolo.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:36 pm

DarkPrince_92 wrote:Piccolo.
:clap: :lol: .
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:37 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:
DarkPrince_92 wrote:Piccolo.
:clap: :lol: .
I second this. Changing my answer :lol:
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:42 pm

Chi Chi.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:33 pm

Kuririn and both Gohans imo.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:57 am

Kuririn would be the everyday dad, humble and spends time with his daughter, plays games with her and takes her to the park and the zoo. He would fly her there on his back because of that she would love if so much.
He would also probably teach her martial arts for the sake of the health of the body and mind, and not much to become stronger.

Piccolo would be the strict dad. You do your training, you do your chores. Only then can you relax and go fishing with him.
There wouldn't be much talking with him, but by watching him towering over you, you could easily feel the love that he would have for you.
He would also take much value in you becoming as strong as you can to be able to fend for yourself, either it be intellectually or physically. But you would always know that if something would go wrong, he would show up and protect you.

Gohan would be a good dad, at least initially. He would encourage you to follow your dreams and fight for them. He would also encourage you to stand your ground and defend your loved ones.
But eventually he would succumb too deep into his studies and forget about the world around him. Soon he would open his eyes and see that he missed his son's first bike ride.
He would go so much into being a scientist that he would alienate himself with his children.
Soon he would become a respected scientist, working for hours and days straight, his children only knowing his presence by his mumbling to their mother when he came home late at night "I need some rest, I can't cuddle with you now Videl" whilst pouring up a glass of scotch just to be able to have a good nights sleep.

Vegeta would be the strong and silent type of dad. Whilst he wouldn't be much supportive to your personal life and goals, and didn't offer any help or advice, he would make you strong enought that you didn't need any support to be able to make it in your life.
He would make you train physically, mentally and intellectually, often to your objections, always responding with "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, son" or "you will thank me one day".
Eventually you would grow up not needing anyone around you, eventually rejecting your very own father.
He wasn't there for you when you needed him, right? You made it all on your own. You don't owe him anything.
And he would look at his creation with pride, up until the one day he would realize that he wasn't needed anymore.
He has lost his purpose.

Yamcha would be the dad who steals your girlfriend and takes her to your prom.

Goku would be the kind of father that would always be fooling around and having fun.
You would always feel that you were safe and that you would have his support, and in your own right, you did.
He would take you out on adventures, until one day you would actually fall and break your leg. That would be when you would understand that these adventures weren't safe. Not for a kid.
But he would brush it off with saying that as his age, he could crush a rock with his bare hands.
Soon you would realize, as you got older, that his man didn't realize that just because of that you were his son, it didn't mean that you were strong like him. And he didn't get that.
And you would walk all your life in his shadow, only being known as "Goku's son", not Angus which was your real name.

Necrosaber
Beyond Newbie

Post by Necrosaber » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:19 pm

Vegeta for this scene alone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9alLKtLrQE

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:12 pm

If Tien had a kid he'd be the best father IMO. Just look how much he cared for Chiaotzu.

As for official fathers I don't think any of them were all that great and I'de rather not count their parenting in GT. I would say Vegeta but honestly Trunks turned out better without a father.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:46 pm

Krillin and all Gohan;s. Goku Jr's father

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:20 pm

Krillin or Gohan.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:27 pm

Oh, shit, it's been father's day?!

Ah, wait, it's on a later date in Australia. Phew. :lol:

Anyway, it's hard to say who the best father is. I guess Gohan has far more sense than the other fathers but we haven't actually seen enough of him as a father to say either way.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Beercorn

Post by Beercorn » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:18 pm

Seems to be a toss up between Grandpa Gohan, Ox-King, and Krillin.

I'm gonna play it safe and say Gohan.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:43 pm

Probably Krillin and Grandpa Gohan.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:01 pm

So everyone forgets Goku Jr's father lol.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:41 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:So everyone forgets Goku Jr's father lol.
Where the heck did you see Goku Jr.'s father?!
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.