The Common Enemy

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Re: The Common Enemy

Post by Saiga » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:30 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:If Buu won against Grey Buu then maybe he could have turn into a good version of Super Buu. It would make a pretty cool what if story though.
Presumambly, Mr. Buu would just be Fat Buu again if that happened.

Someone needs to write a fan fiction on this. I mean Freeza and Cell both have redemption fics, why not Super Buu?
As Evil Boo is my favourite, I consider it a good thing he's the one without redemption fics. Although it could be enjoyable if it was deliberately crack.

Although, I'm just talking about Evil Boo before he starts absorbing others. Once he starts absorbing the good guys it might be feasible for him to turn good the more good people he absorbs, at least more-so than Freeza and Cell.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:14 am

I'm just really curious to see how he'd interact with people in any context besides trying to kill them- not turn good, just stop being actively hostile for some amount of time. Would Goku get along with him? Would Vegeta mind him? Would he just be a loner since the rest of the gang never forgave him for eating them? What would he even do all day? What would he say or do during BOG when Beers shows up? It has great comedy potential if nothing else, since his personality is just so unlike anyone in the main cast. Though him putting aside hostilities for any real amount of time is pretty out of character. I wonder what circumstances could possibly justify that?

Meh, to be honest Freeza or Cell turning good isn't that much more implausible than Vegeta or Piccolo doing so. The general idea, I mean. Freeza and Vegeta are basically the same character anyway.

That MAY make a good story if done right, but it would obviously be limiting (since Buu eats the main cast) and in way would actually contradict the series, since absorbing Gotenks only seemed to make Buu more evil.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:15 pm

The main difference that comes to mind, when comparing Mr. Buu to the Evil Buu that attacked the lookout, is that Evil Buu doesn't give a damn. He takes what he wants when he wants it, and basically disposed of the idea of right and wrong entirely.
He could conceivably be manipulated into a fragile good guy role, but it'd be tricky, since his power makes it awfully hard for anyone to carrot-and-stick him, as Piccolo saw when he tried manipulating and outsmarting him. Distraction? Buu kills it. Trapped in another dimention? Buu kills it. You'd need someone strong to keep him in check, a way to prevent him from absorbing everyone with their backs turned, and something else for him to fight, since he seems to like that idea enough to exert a little patience for it.

One ... dubious idea that came to mind while writing: let him absorb people on the brink of death, hope that his magic can keep them alive longer inside him. Assuming the power from regular dying people adds up, as with Cell, he would gain something (more strength), and he might develop something resembling either a moral compass or a manipulable weakness, which could gradually weaken his villain role.
It does, however, have "Feed your dying friends and family to this omnicidal monster" as a cost.
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

mister yummy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by mister yummy » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:24 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote: ...What would he say or do during BOG when Beers shows up?...
Absorb him, and destroy Vegito

Hearts

Post by Hearts » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:10 am

I can see Cell change to become like Vegeta, just a bit more evil, because i had the impression that Cell just wanted to fight strong enemies (remind you of someone?).. Actually, I can see a lot of similarities between Saiyan saga Vegeta and Cell