Why are Goku & Chi-Chi the only flawed parents of the show??

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Re: Why are Goku & Chi-Chi the only flawed parents of the sh

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:29 am

I don't know if anyone's thought of this but isn't it technically Chi Chi's fault that Gohan almost got killed by Fat Buu by forcing him to study for 7 years rather than train?

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:47 am

90sDBZ wrote:I don't know if anyone's thought of this but isn't it technically Chi Chi's fault that Gohan almost got killed by Fat Buu by forcing him to study for 7 years rather than train?
Surely you jest! :roll:

Besides, it's mostly Goku and Kaioshin's fault Gohan nearly got killed by Fat Majin Boo.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

MediaFanGirl93
Beyond Newbie

Post by MediaFanGirl93 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:19 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:I don't know if anyone's thought of this but isn't it technically Chi Chi's fault that Gohan almost got killed by Fat Buu by forcing him to study for 7 years rather than train?

Besides, it's mostly Goku and Kaioshin's fault Gohan nearly got killed by Fat Majin Boo.
Why is everyone blaming Chi-Chi for Gohan being a "wuss" in the Buu Arc...wasn't Gohan supposed to be the main character of that Season until rabid Goku fanboys whined about this?

Anyway, I do believe that while Gohan and Videl weren't bad parents, it bothered me how Pan spent most of her screetime with Goku than them.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:49 am

Kid Buu wrote:I actually noticed female characters from Shonen anime seem to get a LOT of hate. Such as Chichi, Kagome, Sakura, etc.
The anime version of Kagome is a supreme bitch.

My least favorite anime character of all time.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:31 pm

MediaFanGirl93 wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:

Why is everyone blaming Chi-Chi for Gohan being a "wuss" in the Buu Arc...wasn't Gohan supposed to be the main character of that Season until rabid Goku fanboys whined about this?
I think most who do are just taking out their anger on her because their pre-adolescent dreams for Gohan were crushed, you know, like how people do when they're real uspet about something they want to blame somebody right away. Also, Toriyama-sensei decided against Gohan taking up the mantle himself. Gohan was actually leading popularity polls during the Cell Games and the Great Saiyaman Saga so the Japanese saw him as a competent new hero.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

CaptainKatsura
Not-So-Newbie

Post by CaptainKatsura » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:07 pm

Chi-Chi actually didn't have to force Gohan to learn. He was more of a scholar than a warrior anyway, he trained when it was needed rather than for fun. Nobody can blame he for a lack of foresight, as no one expected Buu.

MediaFanGirl93
Beyond Newbie

Post by MediaFanGirl93 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:07 pm

@ DBZAOTA482 (because for some reason, this thing isn't letting me quote)

You may be right. That doesn't sound rational, but it does make sense why fans would blame Chi-Chi. Not to mention, in the Bojack movie, Chi-Chi did let Gohan fight in a tournament, which implies that she does let Gohan do things besides studying all day (even though the movies aren't canon, I still like taking about them). I honestly think the series would have been a lot more interesting if Gohan was the main star and not Goku.

Izanagi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Izanagi » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:32 pm

MediaFanGirl93 wrote:If you notice, the other parents are usually better in comparison, like Bulma and Vegeta, Krillin and 18, Gohan and Videl, Bulma's Parents, and the Ox-King and Mr. Satan. Granted Vegeta isn't Father of the Year either and is just as bad, if not worse, as Goku in some aspects, but I noticed that he doesn't get criticized for his parenting as much as Goku and Chi-Chi. I do know that Bardock is just as bad, if not worse than Goku, but he dodges criticism too.

Now for Goku, I do know he is pretty neglectful, but Saiyans don't make good parents at all and Goku didn't grow up with any parents, so it may be understandable why he (and Vegeta) won't make good fathers to their kids. As for Chi-Chi, I felt she was too overprotective and a bit of a tiger mother, but I don't think she's bad. While it's true that she did mellow out with Goten, fans still criticize her and call her a bad/abusive mother towards her kids It's just strange and a bit unfair how the other females are better mothers than she is because they are not that strict.

What do you guys think?

Well, Goku is a full-fledged Saiyan. So fighting and training comes in his first priority in his life over his family and friends. Then again, no parent in the world of Dragon Ball is perfect in every regard. Goku is what TVTropes would suggest a, "Bumbling Father". He is thinking he knows what the best is for Gohan, he wanted his own son to throw his life on the line back in the Cell Games and while he admittedly knew Gohan had the power to kill Cell he was completely unaware of the fact that Gohan was not the fighter like he was and that he never wanted to be a fighter in the first place, just a normal kid. You also got to remember that Goku was isolated from modern civilization for most of his childhood so he had no knack for this parent stuff. Basically, this parent stuff is just like raising wolves for Goku. If a wolf pup is unresponsive at birth, or has any deformation, it could prove fatal to the pack at large, and so the one female of the pack who has no mothering instinct takes the pup and drops it in a river.

Chi-Chi? I understand her reasons for prohibiting Gohan on fighting and training. After what she saw Goku going through back in the 23rd Budokai Tenkaichi, no wonder why she retired from fighting. However, being too overprotective over one's child is a huge disadvantage. She's basically halting Gohan's development into independence not to mention she's basically taking Gohan's freedom away by all these homeworks. He was what, four years old and she gave him a whole pack of books to study out of his own free will? There are time when kids have to be kids. She's got the right intentions but she goes about being a parent in the wrong way.

MediaFanGirl93
Beyond Newbie

Post by MediaFanGirl93 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:58 pm

Izanagi wrote:
MediaFanGirl93 wrote:If you notice, the other parents are usually better in comparison, like Bulma and Vegeta, Krillin and 18, Gohan and Videl, Bulma's Parents, and the Ox-King and Mr. Satan. Granted Vegeta isn't Father of the Year either and is just as bad, if not worse, as Goku in some aspects, but I noticed that he doesn't get criticized for his parenting as much as Goku and Chi-Chi. I do know that Bardock is just as bad, if not worse than Goku, but he dodges criticism too.

Now for Goku, I do know he is pretty neglectful, but Saiyans don't make good parents at all and Goku didn't grow up with any parents, so it may be understandable why he (and Vegeta) won't make good fathers to their kids. As for Chi-Chi, I felt she was too overprotective and a bit of a tiger mother, but I don't think she's bad. While it's true that she did mellow out with Goten, fans still criticize her and call her a bad/abusive mother towards her kids It's just strange and a bit unfair how the other females are better mothers than she is because they are not that strict.

What do you guys think?

Well, Goku is a full-fledged Saiyan. So fighting and training comes in his first priority in his life over his family and friends. Then again, no parent in the world of Dragon Ball is perfect in every regard. Goku is what TVTropes would suggest a, "Bumbling Father". He is thinking he knows what the best is for Gohan, he wanted his own son to throw his life on the line back in the Cell Games and while he admittedly knew Gohan had the power to kill Cell he was completely unaware of the fact that Gohan was not the fighter like he was and that he never wanted to be a fighter in the first place, just a normal kid. You also got to remember that Goku was isolated from modern civilization for most of his childhood so he had no knack for this parent stuff. Basically, this parent stuff is just like raising wolves for Goku. If a wolf pup is unresponsive at birth, or has any deformation, it could prove fatal to the pack at large, and so the one female of the pack who has no mothering instinct takes the pup and drops it in a river.

Chi-Chi? I understand her reasons for prohibiting Gohan on fighting and training. After what she saw Goku going through back in the 23rd Budokai Tenkaichi, no wonder why she retired from fighting. However, being too overprotective over one's child is a huge disadvantage. She's basically halting Gohan's development into independence not to mention she's basically taking Gohan's freedom away by all these homeworks. He was what, four years old and she gave him a whole pack of books to study out of his own free will? There are time when kids have to be kids. She's got the right intentions but she goes about being a parent in the wrong way.
I agree with almost everything you said. While Goku was kind of an iffy father, I don't think it's his fault he isn't a perfect parent, considering he had no education and he grew up with NO PARENTS in his life (the only thing he had close to an adult was Master Roshi). Plus, he's very naive like you said.

The same thing could be said about Chi-Chi. She's just as naive as Goku and she didn't have a mother in her life or an education, so she had to learn how to be a mother all by herself. I think Chi-Chi is in the middle when it comes to the parenting, like good/bad. Good because she loves her sons and at least tries to be a good mother (she became a way better mother in the Buu Saga, at least), and bad also because she is too overprotective sometimes, and while she means well, she is unintentionally halting Gohan's development like you said.

This reminds me of one of my favorite moments of the (Funimation Dub) the show when Chi-Chi was upset with Gohan because he wanted to go to Namek to revive Piccolo who was basically the Spawn of Satan, and she was ranting about how Gohan should enjoy being a child (she was completely right in that scene), and Gohan yells at her by saying "I'M GOING!!!!!!!" I'll admit the whole scene did make me feel uncomfortable because of the way Chi-Chi came off and Gohan yelling back at his mother. Also, while Gohan was right to stand up to her nagging, her nagging is what makes her a caring mother.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:34 pm

"hey mom i'm going across the galaxy to bring the devil back to life, y'know, that guy who nearly killed you, beat the shit out of dad and who then killed him, kidnapped me and beat me for months"

"what. no."

"GODDAMMIT YOU HUGE BITCH"

MediaFanGirl93
Beyond Newbie

Post by MediaFanGirl93 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:47 pm

Rocketman wrote:"hey mom i'm going across the galaxy to bring the devil back to life, y'know, that guy who nearly killed you, beat the shit out of dad and who then killed him, kidnapped me and beat me for months"

"what. no."

That's what I basically tried to say in my last post. I actually liked that scene because Chi-Chi and Gohan were both completely justified in it LMAO. I mean, Piccolo was basically the Demon King...how could fans expect her to automatically like the guy after what he tried to do to her husband?

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:49 pm

MediaFanGirl93 wrote:
Rocketman wrote:"hey mom i'm going across the galaxy to bring the devil back to life, y'know, that guy who nearly killed you, beat the shit out of dad and who then killed him, kidnapped me and beat me for months"

"what. no."

That's what I basically tried to say in my last post. I actually liked that scene because Chi-Chi and Gohan were both completely justified in it LMAO. I mean, Piccolo was basically the Demon King...how could fans expect her to automatically like the guy after what he tried to do to her husband?
It's a rule :lol: . People hate every female character who aren't fan service badass women. I don't know why people are like that with anime but they are.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:13 am

"what. no."

*Piccolo at Cell Games doesn't want Gohan to fight*
DBZ Fans - PICCOLO IS GOOD DAD TO GOHAN

*Chichi doesnt want Gohan to fight*
DBZ Fans - CHICHI IS HUGE BITCH
Cursed Lemon wrote: The anime version of Kagome is a supreme bitch.

My least favorite anime character of all time.
I know the anime likes exaggerate her character with adding "SIT" gags all the time, but I never really got what makes her such a bitch.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:10 am

The last few posts have really hit the nail on the head (then ripped its arm off).

I'm having a hard time thinking of any better parents in the series, other than Gohan and Videl (and we just assume they're good parents from what little we see of them as parents combined with their premarital personalities. Presumably they're good, well-adjusted parents, but for all we know, Gohan is too busy being a scholar and Goku is teaching Pan to be wreckless. :P ).

In defense of the Ox-king, though, most roaming psychopaths and criminals were too terrified to approach him or his daughter, and ChiChi did kinda have a death helmet™. (IIRC, didn't Yamcha knock her out in self defense? I could be misremembering.)
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:11 am

Yeah; Yamcha hit her out of self-defense. One of the few fights Yamcha actually wins. :lol:
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:49 am

Kid Buu wrote:

"what. no."

*Piccolo at Cell Games doesn't want Gohan to fight*
DBZ Fans - PICCOLO IS GOOD DAD TO GOHAN

*Chichi doesnt want Gohan to fight*
DBZ Fans - CHICHI IS HUGE BITCH
I can understand that... somewhat. Piccolo is portrayed as being in the right during the Cell Games whereas with Chi-Chi, we're basically supposed to side with Goku/Gohan's point of view on what's important so it would make Chi-Chi look much worse than she really is... especially with the fact that Toriyama-sensei tended to play her reactions up for laughs (her portrayal in various non-canon material doesn't help either).
Last edited by DBZAOTA482 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:56 am

I actually think its odd that Piccolo was even upset about that in the Cell Games when he had no problem with Gohan fighting in the Saiyan Arc and Gotenks fighting in the Buu arc, but that's an entirely different story.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:14 am

Kid Buu wrote:I actually think its odd that Piccolo was even upset about that in the Cell Games when he had no problem with Gohan fighting in the Saiyan Arc and Gotenks fighting in the Buu arc, but that's an entirely different story.
I guess you can chalk it up to him getting softer over the years.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:18 am

Or the fact that Piccolo effectively ceased to exist by that point.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

flashback0180
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by flashback0180 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:39 am

FIRST OFF -
i wouldn't say they are the only flawed parents .

what about bulmas parents , Dr. Briefs and mama they let her teenage daughter to venture the world to collect dragon balls[FOR YEARS] ...to make a foolish wish such as unlimited supply of STRAWBERRIES and a perfect boy friend.

secondly-

chici was a great parent ,
-she forced her son to stay in school
-always worries about her family
-doesn't/didn't allow her gohon to get involved with anything dangerous (freaking made him sleep before 9)
-supported goku (unless it involved gohon )
-sent his son to college

and goku

goku is a character made to enjoy the simple things of life , he was living in the woods and hunted anything to eat before he met bulma. which chi chi on the other hand was a actual princess.
he was raised by a old man for 9years. grandpa gohon was the only father figure he knew .barely met any new people growing up. goku didn't have a dad and didn't need one hence doesn't know the importance of good parenting

for all the time he there he was a good father [ until buu saga]

-protects his family.
-he feeds his family (seen in the anime bringing fishes )
-helps with getting the fire wood and other stuff ( 1st episode of z ..knocks down a giant tree for fire wood)
-sacrificed his life to save gohon
-loved his son

the only thing that bothers me are their relationship ... i'm just saying he didn't even give a proper good by to her at when he left with uub to train for 7 YEARS 0_0
and the same thing again in GT when he left with shenron as guardian of the dragon balls .. FOREVER

either he loves everyone equally or he doesn't give a $hit .... just saying he has been to hell more than 3 times :D