Why are Goku & Chi-Chi the only flawed parents of the show??

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MediaFanGirl93
Beyond Newbie

Why are Goku & Chi-Chi the only flawed parents of the show??

Post by MediaFanGirl93 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:15 pm

If you notice, the other parents are usually better in comparison, like Bulma and Vegeta, Krillin and 18, Gohan and Videl, Bulma's Parents, and the Ox-King and Mr. Satan. Granted Vegeta isn't Father of the Year either and is just as bad, if not worse, as Goku in some aspects, but I noticed that he doesn't get criticized for his parenting as much as Goku and Chi-Chi. I do know that Bardock is just as bad, if not worse than Goku, but he dodges criticism too.

Now for Goku, I do know he is pretty neglectful, but Saiyans don't make good parents at all and Goku didn't grow up with any parents, so it may be understandable why he (and Vegeta) won't make good fathers to their kids. As for Chi-Chi, I felt she was too overprotective and a bit of a tiger mother, but I don't think she's bad. While it's true that she did mellow out with Goten, fans still criticize her and call her a bad/abusive mother towards her kids It's just strange and a bit unfair how the other females are better mothers than she is because they are not that strict.

What do you guys think?

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: Why are Goku & Chi-Chi the only flawed parents of the sh

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:24 pm

Vegeta watched calmly as Dr. Gero blew up the flying car-thing that his wife and son were in. Just saying.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:54 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:Vegeta watched calmly as Dr. Gero blew up the flying car-thing that his wife and son were in. Just saying.
...And let's not forget the dumb bitch who was flying said hover car to the battlefield without regard to her son's and even her own safety despite the fat samurai's protests. :P
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:58 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:Vegeta watched calmly as Dr. Gero blew up the flying car-thing that his wife and son were in. Just saying.
...And let's not forget the dumb bitch who was flying said hover car to the battlefield without regard to her son's and even her own safety despite the fat samurai's protests. :P
And that :P
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

MediaFanGirl93
Beyond Newbie

Post by MediaFanGirl93 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:34 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
You just made me laugh so hard with this ost XD.

Plus, in my defense, I did admit that Vegeta wasn't all that good either.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:38 pm

I never understood the Chichi hate at all.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

MediaFanGirl93
Beyond Newbie

Post by MediaFanGirl93 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:46 pm

Kid Buu wrote:I never understood the Chichi hate at all.
Maybe it's because the Funimation Dub turned her (and the other females) into unlikable characters. Not to mention, people dislike Chi-Chi because her bad qualities are exaggerated, when she's reall chill in some versions of the anime.

Personally, I like Chi-Chi, but she's a flawed parent when it comes to Gohan, but she's a terrific parent in the Buu Saga, at least because she at least learns from her mistakes.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:49 pm

I actually noticed female characters from Shonen anime seem to get a LOT of hate. Such as Chichi, Kagome, Sakura, etc.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:51 pm

Chi Chi is a flawed parent? I think it's Goku who flawed but it takes two to fuck up. There not flawed to be honest. Goku never grew up in a way and Chi Chi is overprotective. But Gohan turned out already. Though debatable(AKA DONT DEBATE THIS) Gohan is the strongest character and most likely the second or third smartest. Not to shabby.

Bulma dumbass took her son to a BATTLEFIELD with no protection. Had she used protection she would't had to worry about protecting her child. Vegeta pretty much punch the shit out his child. But made up for it with killing himself and attacking Cell. Bulma however done worst than Goku. At least Goku trained his son to fight(Cyborg arc). Krillin and 18 lives with a pervert. Pretty sure that's not good influence. Not to mention once Marron(or is it Maron?) hit puberty and grow breast, hips, curves, or an ass Muten Roshi is going to be all over her. Gohan and Videl didn't get much screentime as parents. But most likely was great parents as they are normal. Mr. Satan lied to his daughter and let herfight crimes in the city(This was filler but didn't she almost die?) while he is banging his fangirls or being more of a fake. Bulma Parents let their daughter go on an adventure for Dragonballs. Without Goku she would had died. Pilfar or Red Ribbon. YOU choose her fate. God knows where her sister is now.

Ox-King let Chi Chi wonder off. If Yamcha wanted to. He could have broke her neck and killed her. So Ox King sucks as well. So out of all MAIN families. Only One was decent or perhaps good. Goku and Chi Chi aren't the only flawed parents. The rest has done worst things. The worst thing Goku ever done was not check in on the family in 7 years and worst Chi Chi done was force her son into to much studying(Though he turned out GREAT). Hell I might have to say Chi Chi and Goku are the third or SECOND best parents of the show. That's right.
I actually noticed female characters from Shonen anime seem to get a LOT of hate. Such as Chichi, Kagome, Sakura, etc.
Maybe cause they are NOT fan service "hoes" with big tits and ass that are badass and fight better than the men

Kingsley

Post by Kingsley » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:08 am

TheGmGoken wrote:Chi Chi is a flawed parent? I think it's Goku who flawed but it takes two to fuck up. There not flawed to be honest. Goku never grew up in a way and Chi Chi is overprotective. But Gohan turned out already. Though debatable(AKA DONT DEBATE THIS) Gohan is the strongest character and most likely the second or third smartest. Not to shabby.

Bulma dumbass took her son to a BATTLEFIELD with no protection. Had she used protection she would't had to worry about protecting her child. Vegeta pretty much punch the shit out his child. But made up for it with killing himself and attacking Cell. Bulma however done worst than Goku. At least Goku trained his son to fight(Cyborg arc). Krillin and 18 lives with a pervert. Pretty sure that's not good influence. Not to mention once Marron(or is it Maron?) hit puberty and grow breast, hips, curves, or an ass Muten Roshi is going to be all over her. Gohan and Videl didn't get much screentime as parents. But most likely was great parents as they are normal. Mr. Satan lied to his daughter and let herfight crimes in the city(This was filler but didn't she almost die?) while he is banging his fangirls or being more of a fake. Bulma Parents let their daughter go on an adventure for Dragonballs. Without Goku she would had died. Pilfar or Red Ribbon. YOU choose her fate. God knows where her sister is now.

Ox-King let Chi Chi wonder off. If Yamcha wanted to. He could have broke her neck and killed her. So Ox King sucks as well. So out of all MAIN families. Only One was decent or perhaps good. Goku and Chi Chi aren't the only flawed parents. The rest has done worst things. The worst thing Goku ever done was not check in on the family in 7 years and worst Chi Chi done was force her son into to much studying(Though he turned out GREAT). Hell I might have to say Chi Chi and Goku are the third or SECOND best parents of the show. That's right.
Maybe cause they are NOT fan service "hoes" with big tits and ass that are badass and fight better than the men
The Sakura hate is justified for all of part 1 and almost all of part 2

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:14 am

MediaFanGirl93 wrote:If you notice, the other parents are usually better in comparison, like Bulma and Vegeta, Krillin and 18, Gohan and Videl, Bulma's Parents, and the Ox-King and Mr. Satan. Granted Vegeta isn't Father of the Year either and is just as bad, if not worse, as Goku in some aspects, but I noticed that he doesn't get criticized for his parenting as much as Goku and Chi-Chi. I do know that Bardock is just as bad, if not worse than Goku, but he dodges criticism too.

Now for Goku, I do know he is pretty neglectful, but Saiyans don't make good parents at all and Goku didn't grow up with any parents, so it may be understandable why he (and Vegeta) won't make good fathers to their kids. As for Chi-Chi, I felt she was too overprotective and a bit of a tiger mother, but I don't think she's bad. While it's true that she did mellow out with Goten, fans still criticize her and call her a bad/abusive mother towards her kids It's just strange and a bit unfair how the other females are better mothers than she is because they are not that strict.

What do you guys think?
Vegeta and Bardock tend to dodge criticism since they're both unrepentant mass murderers. Being crappy parents is kind of minor on top of that, whereas it's the biggest flaw Chi Chi has, even though she's a much better parent than either of them.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:49 am

I... kinda never did either. I understand finding her annoying but the hate seems to extend well beyond that (some even make her out to be a lousy human being).
Don't forget Akane Tendo. She's the pinnacle of "Ron The Death Eater" as far as Shonen anime female protagonists go.

Sakura Haruno hate I can understand, though. If I ever met her in real life I'd slap her.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:16 am

Yeah Akane is another good pick; although one could argue her and Kagome are essentially the same person. :lol:

MediaFanGirl93
Beyond Newbie

Post by MediaFanGirl93 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:00 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
I... kinda never did either. I understand finding her annoying but the hate seems to extend well beyond that (some even make her out to be a lousy human being).
Don't forget Akane Tendo. She's the pinnacle of "Ron The Death Eater" as far as Shonen anime female protagonists go.

Sakura Haruno hate I can understand, though. If I ever met her in real life I'd slap her.
OMG, thank you! I'm pretty sure this may be why Chi-Chi has some defenders, because they may exist due to backlash against the people who outright say she's a horrible person for her annoying habits. I remember as a kid I didn't like her because I felt she was annoying with her nagging, but I'm tired of people acting as though she's the spawn of Satan and insist she's a terrible/abusive mother to her kids. Heck, someone even said she was worse than Frieza & Cell.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:31 pm

I believe it was also implied that King Cold beat his son.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

CaptainKatsura
Not-So-Newbie

Post by CaptainKatsura » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:50 pm

I don't think Chi Chi herself is particularly flawed. Her impression is distorted by flanderization through fillers, though I'll admit Goku is not particularly good parent due to various circumstances.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:47 pm

His what and his son?

In any case Vegeta doesn't get as much flak for being a bad parent because he isn't made out to be a good guy, nobody expects him to be a good father. He is the bad guy that became the lesser of two evils and after that sort of mellowed out. Goku especially in the Funi version is viewed more so as the super awesome good guy hero who is perfect.

MediaFanGirl93
Beyond Newbie

Post by MediaFanGirl93 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:54 am

CaptainKatsura wrote:I don't think Chi Chi herself is particularly flawed. Her impression is distorted by flanderization through fillers, though I'll admit Goku is not particularly good parent due to various circumstances.
Makes sense. The only issue I had with her is that I felt she was pushing it too hard sometimes when it came with the education and the protectiveness (in the anime at least), but she doesn't come as close to being a poor mother as fans make her out to be. I just felt it wouldn't be right for fans to single her out (ignoring the fact that the others were just as bad, if not worse than she was) when she did mellow out and become a 10X better parent than she was in the earlier seasons. Had she remained the same as she was in the Namek-Frieza Arc, she would deserve the criticisms.

Draken
Banned

Post by Draken » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:58 am

Didn't he not know yet?

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:22 am

Draken wrote:
Didn't he not know yet?
He knew. He just didn't care, though he and Bulma weren't really seeing each other at the time.
MediaFanGirl93 wrote:
CaptainKatsura wrote:I don't think Chi Chi herself is particularly flawed. Her impression is distorted by flanderization through fillers, though I'll admit Goku is not particularly good parent due to various circumstances.
Makes sense. The only issue I had with her is that I felt she was pushing it too hard sometimes when it came with the education and the protectiveness (in the anime at least), but she doesn't come as close to being a poor mother as fans make her out to be. I just felt it wouldn't be right for fans to single her out (ignoring the fact that the others were just as bad, if not worse than she was) when she did mellow out and become a 10X better parent than she was in the earlier seasons. Had she remained the same as she was in the Namek-Frieza Arc, she would deserve the criticisms.
Why? She's barely even in the Namek/Freeza Saga.
fadeddreams5 wrote: