Saiyan Saga plot hole?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Flame Dragon
Regular

Re: Saiyan Saga plot hole?

Post by Flame Dragon » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:12 pm

What if Shenron's rule is that he can't solve the issues of mortals, and he can resurrect people but not kill them because he can't toy with human life?

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:30 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
thatdbzguy wrote:Huh. If that's the case, then there really is no good reason as to why they didn't wish for that.

DBZ relies too much on the obnoxious stupidity of it's characters.
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:And like I said before, they didn't know that they were traveling for the whole year. They could have been busy for a year, and then come instantly with a spaceship on Earth, because aliens.
They likely knew they were traveling. They knew that even Saiyans don't have some magical ability to instantly teleport their spaceships. If that were the case, they wouldn't have taken a year to get there.

Let's just face it. There is no good reason why they didn't wish for that.
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:30 am

Kaboom wrote:
thatdbzguy wrote:But yeah, DBZ is Plot-Hole Central. Considering how it's one of the worst written mangas ever, finding plot holes shouldn't be much of a shocking thing.
This is gettin' old, man. Discussing it in your own thread is one thing, but it seems you're just spamming this "point" at every minuscule opportunity. It's borderline trolling by its purest definition.
I don't see how its trolling at all. Series is full of inconsistencies and plotholes, not exactly uncanny to call the series poorly written.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:26 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:Untrue. Shenlong is only limited to a year in reviving exceptionally large groups of dead people.
What a coincidence! Unless I misread something, you made this post within minutes of this weeks' podcast going up. :shock:
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/generalinfo/p ... e_0354.mp3
Kid Buu wrote:
Kaboom wrote:
thatdbzguy wrote:But yeah, DBZ is Plot-Hole Central. Considering how it's one of the worst written mangas ever, finding plot holes shouldn't be much of a shocking thing.
This is gettin' old, man. Discussing it in your own thread is one thing, but it seems you're just spamming this "point" at every minuscule opportunity. It's borderline trolling by its purest definition.
I don't see how its trolling at all. Series is full of inconsistencies and plotholes, not exactly uncanny to call the series poorly written.
I think it's because he brings these opinions up rather frequently.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:09 am

thatdbzguy wrote:They likely knew they were traveling. They knew that even Saiyans don't have some magical ability to instantly teleport their spaceships. If that were the case, they wouldn't have taken a year to get there.

Let's just face it. There is no good reason why they didn't wish for that.
How could they know it? Look at fiction, aliens are commonly portrayed to have far superior technology than us, and Raditz proves that this is the case here as well. Maybe their technology was advanced enough to travel between galaxies in just some months, days, hours, minutes, or even seconds. They have no idea how long it takes for the Saiyans to arrive, all they know is that they will come in 1 year with spaceships.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Regular

Post by AvatarReiko » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:08 am

Correct me if I am wrong but couldn't they have just wished for the two saiyans to be teleport from their space ships to the vastness of space or teleport their ships into a nearby star. That wouldn't be beyond Shenron's power. They used the DB to wish everyone on namek to earth. On the contrary, That was Porunga. I think the way the dragon works is different to any genies for example, is someone made a wish for sweats, a genie would magically materialise the sweats, whereas if it were Shenron, he'd would transport the sweats to the wish from another location, e.g shops.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:02 am

AvatarReiko wrote:Correct me if I am wrong but couldn't they have just wished for the two saiyans to be teleport from their space ships to the vastness of space or teleport their ships into a nearby star. That wouldn't be beyond Shenron's power. They used the DB to wish everyone on namek to earth. On the contrary, That was Porunga. I think the way the dragon works is different to any genies for example, is someone made a wish for sweats, a genie would magically materialise the sweats, whereas if it were Shenron, he'd would transport the sweats to the wish from another location, e.g shops.
Porunga couldn't teleport Goku agaisnt his will, presumably because Goku is very strong. Shenlong probably wouldn't be able to do it to Nappa and Vegeta.

The most logical wish would be to destroy their spaceships. That would kill them because they would be stranded in space and there's no reason for the dragon not be able to do it.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:57 am

First off, I believe you were meaning sweets, not sweats. Sweets is the delicious, tasty treat like a candy or a cookie. Sweats means perspiration.

As for Shenlon, his wishes do work essentially like a genie's would, just with rules governing the wish. We know that Shenlon wouldn't transport someone to a confectionery shop if someone wished for sweets, since we saw that when Oolong wished for a pair of women's panties in the beginning of Dragonball, Shenlon just made a pair magically appear out of thin air. He didn't teleport Oolong to a lingerie store or anything like that.

With the Saiya-jin, Shenlon likely wouldn't be able to grant a wish that would result in someone's immediate death. Even if the wish didn't expressly say to kill them, if it was something that would directly contribute to their death (such as teleporting them into deep space), then it still wouldn't.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:31 am

Darkprince410 wrote:
With the Saiya-jin, Shenlon likely wouldn't be able to grant a wish that would result in someone's immediate death. Even if the wish didn't expressly say to kill them, if it was something that would directly contribute to their death (such as teleporting them into deep space), then it still wouldn't.
I don't agree with this. The dragon stated that the reason why he couldn't kill them was because their power was beyond his creator. But I don't think that destroying a couple of spaceships would be beyond his creator at all.

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:51 pm

First off, I believe you were meaning sweets, not sweats. Sweets is the delicious, tasty treat like a candy or a cookie. Sweats means perspiration.
Sweats can also mean sweatpants, which is what I assumed when reading the post. (...though it could definitely be a misspelled version of sweets, too.)

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:49 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:They'd never be able to wish Goku back if they did.

But yeah, DBZ is Plot-Hole Central. Considering how it's one of the worst written mangas ever, finding plot holes shouldn't be much of a shocking thing.
Worst written ever? I understand criticizing the Cell arc, but what you just said is obnoxiously wrong. Stop hating to get attention, it crossed the line of pathetic some time ago.

mAcChaos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mAcChaos » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:21 am

I don't think this is the plot hole everybody is making it out to be.

Consider how they reacted when Bulma suggested killing Dr. Gero before he made the Androids. They all revolted at the idea. I bet if anyone brought this idea about the pods up in the Saiyan Saga, they would have reacted the same, which is probably why it was never mentioned.

And to top it off, at this point in the story the power levels were relatively close so they all thought they had a chance. It's not like how it was later.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:40 am

Regarding "They didn't know the saiyans would be traveling at the time":
Wasn't this wish made within 30 hours of the Saiyans' arrival?
The argument still applies, but the likelyhood of the wish happening while they weren't in transit goes way down, so close to the deadline.

The "Just kill him" wish was apparently the main inconsistency Toriyama worried about; see Piccolo Daimao. I suppose that, once he dealt with that issue once and for all, he didn't bother thinking about many others, regarding Shenron at least.
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

GogetaSSJ2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by GogetaSSJ2 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:03 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:They tried using Shenron to wish to kill Nappa and Vegeta, but he couldn't, since they were stronger than Kami.

But then why didn't they instead wish for their ships to disappear/explode, which would make them suffocate to death in space?

Did they just not think of that?
Were Bulma and crew even aware of the Saiyan's were flying towards Earth in ships? I don't think they put much thought into it either. But for a whole year, you think Bulma and Roshi would put into more thought on what they should used that wish for. I mean for a dragon that can grant wishes, you think you would be creative enough to think of something to stop the saiyans then just wishing Goku back...
PSN: Nightwing7841

"I am neither Goku nor Vegeta, I am the instrument of your destruction!" - Gogeta