People Can't Be Revived After One Year?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Re: People Can't Be Revived After One Year?

Post by rereboy » Tue May 13, 2014 12:08 pm

Hitiro wrote:There will always be a reserve of souls. Have you forgotten about Birusu? He destroys so that the balance is maintained. I am aware that our population keeps growing. But that doesn't matter if Birusu goes around destroying other planets with billions of people on them. Those people then get reincarnated and distributed to the remaining planets. We already know that the Dragon Ball universe was much more populated with planets originally. If Birusu goes around destroying planets and the Kaioshin go around creating them then I honestly don't see a problem with equivalent reincarnation.
Beerus doesn't exist in the manga and like I said Goku and the others, who don't get reincarnated, are only mentioned as special due to the fact that they keep their bodies in the afterlife. Never once were they mentioned as special due to the fact that they don't reincarnate, not once.

But sure, if you want to interpret it like that in your fanon I guess it makes sense.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Tue May 13, 2014 12:38 pm

rereboy wrote:Beerus doesn't exist in the manga and like I said Goku and the others, who don't get reincarnated, are only mentioned as special due to the fact that they keep their bodies in the afterlife. Never once were they mentioned as special due to the fact that they don't reincarnate, not once.

But sure, if you want to interpret it like that in your fanon I guess it makes sense.
Is it not suggested by Goku that he has been training with martial artists from different era's? That would seem to suggest that they can remain there for as long as they want to until they are satisfied. I would assume they can choose when they want to be reincarnated.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Tue May 13, 2014 2:02 pm

Hitiro wrote:
rereboy wrote:Beerus doesn't exist in the manga and like I said Goku and the others, who don't get reincarnated, are only mentioned as special due to the fact that they keep their bodies in the afterlife. Never once were they mentioned as special due to the fact that they don't reincarnate, not once.

Is it not suggested by Goku that he has been training with martial artists from different era's? That would seem to suggest that they can remain there for as long as they want to until they are satisfied. I would assume they can choose when they want to be reincarnated.
I assume so too. Get reincarnated when you feel is ok.

I played with the idea of a fanfic regarding Goku and Co. got back reincarnated as humans in the distant future of DB and fate brings them all together again thanks to the Dragonballs. No one remembers their past but they start getting this strange deja vu... this has happened before. They also realize that perhaps they are being followed or watched but are unsure of who could be. As it turns out, it would be Piccolo and No.18, the only ones who are still alive and just discovered they guys came back. :mrgreen:
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue May 13, 2014 3:12 pm

Hitiro wrote:

No, goku and the others are special compared to the normal good guys that go to heaven. They are heroes who died saving the world or that have saved the world before. However, the only privilege mentioned regarding guys like Goku is being able to keep their bodies in the afterlife and pretty much go wherever they like. They are never mentioned being special due to not having to reincarnate.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Tue May 13, 2014 3:59 pm

rereboy wrote:No, goku and the others are special compared to the normal good guys that go to heaven. They are heroes who died saving the world or that have saved the world before. However, the only privilege mentioned regarding guys like Goku is being able to keep their bodies in the afterlife and pretty much go wherever they like. They are never mentioned being special due to not having to reincarnate.
I'm not talking about normal people who go to heaven. I'm talking about other heroes from across the universe who have also saved their planets and earned the right to keep their bodies. Goku says he was taught fusion and that the Metamoran's are strong once they are fused. Goku wouldn't be fighting them if they were just simple spirits in heaven. They wouldn't even be able to perform fusion with no limbs or be able to show how to do the fusion dance. Goku and the Z-senshi aren't the only special people in the universe. Grandpa Gohan is also a person who was allowed to keep his body and earned the right to visit Earth for a day. And yes, Goku did say he would able to meet all the great old martial arts masters from history before they tried to wish him back after summoning Shenlong.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue May 13, 2014 4:11 pm

Hitiro wrote:
rereboy wrote:No, goku and the others are special compared to the normal good guys that go to heaven. They are heroes who died saving the world or that have saved the world before. However, the only privilege mentioned regarding guys like Goku is being able to keep their bodies in the afterlife and pretty much go wherever they like. They are never mentioned being special due to not having to reincarnate.
I'm not talking about normal people who go to heaven. I'm talking about other heroes from across the universe who have also saved their planets and earned the right to keep their bodies. Goku says he was taught fusion and that the Metamoran's are strong once they are fused. Goku wouldn't be fighting them if they were just simple spirits in heaven. They wouldn't even be able to perform fusion with no limbs or be able to show how to do the fusion dance. Goku and the Z-senshi aren't the only special people in the universe. Grandpa Gohan is also a person who was allowed to keep his body and earned the right to visit Earth for a day. And yes, Goku did say he would able to meet all the great old martial arts masters from history before they tried to wish him back after summoning Shenlong.
And I never said they were the only ones in that situation. My only point was that they are different from normal people who go to heaven, but the fact that they don't reincarnate was never mentioned as a special attribute they had compared to others. I fail to see your particular point regarding this.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Tue May 13, 2014 4:30 pm

rereboy wrote:And I never said they were the only ones in that situation. My only point was that they are different from normal people who go to heaven, but the fact that they don't reincarnate was never mentioned as a special attribute they had compared to others. I fail to see your particular point regarding this.
Well we can't be sure if it is or if it isn't. We don't know how reincarnation works. Just because it isn't mentioned doesn't mean to say that it isn't true. The fact that Goku keeps his body so he can train with the other heroes is the only defining factor we know and that people can be reincarnated. But I would think considering the size of Heaven it would be weird if reincarnation didn't happen for normal spirits. If you truly believe that new souls are continuously created then the Dragon Ball universe is pretty screwed considering the design of the universe and Heaven. And considering Goku is with the martial arts masters from history it would be a good assumption that there are special cases, like Goku's, where they can avoid reincarnation to perfect their arts and forms. Reincarnation has to happen at some time and they can't just let people decide when they can reincarnate, unless you've done stuff like Goku. Otherwise nobody will leave Heaven.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue May 13, 2014 6:08 pm

rereboy wrote:Never once were they mentioned as special due to the fact that they don't reincarnate, not once.
One could assume that they don't reincarnated because they keep their bodies.
They get cleansed because of their evil, not because of their personalities and memories.
You don't know that. It definitely is to remove their evil, but their memories & personalities could have been included, since the evil is part of their memories & personalities. Piccolo's statement isn't very clear, so it may or may not be referring to the memories & personalities along with their evil.
The reincarnation process has to get rid of their personalities and memories because otherwise they would just remain evil. None of this is the case with good people.
You are assuming that everyone that goes to Heaven is pure hearted like Goku or Gohan?
A planet that we have no idea how it works. I'm sure that in Toriyama's illustration of Kami's lookout nobody could tell that there was a room in there much larger than the actual lookout.
Except that the RoSaT isn't exactly a room, it's a completely different dimension. The door is the portal to that dimension.

We don't know what happens to those that go to Heaven. Maybe they get reincarnated at a specific point, maybe they get reincarnated whenever they want, maybe they never get reincarnated. Debating about this is meaningless, because there isn't enough evidence for either side. But who knows, with Toriyama going around answering questions, we may learn the answer soon.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Tue May 13, 2014 6:29 pm

Let's add to the list of questions for Toriyama:

• You said Uub's reincarnation was almost immediate. How long does usually take for a normal bad guy to reincarnate?
  • Uub kept this previous fighting potential, surprising everyone. Will Cell and Freeza reincarnate eventually as random people with great potential too!?
  • We know Heaven must be very good, but... Do good people also get to reincarnate if they want?
Jesus Christ.... What I would give for an hour of Q&A with him.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue May 13, 2014 7:02 pm

Hitiro wrote:
rereboy wrote:And I never said they were the only ones in that situation. My only point was that they are different from normal people who go to heaven, but the fact that they don't reincarnate was never mentioned as a special attribute they had compared to others. I fail to see your particular point regarding this.
Well we can't be sure if it is or if it isn't. We don't know how reincarnation works. Just because it isn't mentioned doesn't mean to say that it isn't true. The fact that Goku keeps his body so he can train with the other heroes is the only defining factor we know and that people can be reincarnated. But I would think considering the size of Heaven it would be weird if reincarnation didn't happen for normal spirits. If you truly believe that new souls are continuously created then the Dragon Ball universe is pretty screwed considering the design of the universe and Heaven. And considering Goku is with the martial arts masters from history it would be a good assumption that there are special cases, like Goku's, where they can avoid reincarnation to perfect their arts and forms. Reincarnation has to happen at some time and they can't just let people decide when they can reincarnate, unless you've done stuff like Goku. Otherwise nobody will leave Heaven.
Of course we don't know for sure, but like I said:

- We have no reason to assume it exists for good people at all;

- Its only mentioned regarding evil people and the way the whole process works implies that its BECAUSE of their evil, which is obviously not the case with good people;

- Goku and the others are never refereed to as being special in regards to reincarnation, which would be a logical thing to mention regarding them if they were different in that regard compared to the other good guys in heaven.

All this considered, and my interpretation is that its far more likely that reincarnation only exists regarding bad people as a way to cleanse them and reform them.
Last edited by rereboy on Tue May 13, 2014 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue May 13, 2014 7:09 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote: One could assume that they don't reincarnated because they keep their bodies.
We have no reason at all to think that would prevent reincarnation or to believe that any good person is even subject to reincarnation.
You don't know that. It definitely is to remove their evil, but their memories & personalities could have been included, since the evil is part of their memories & personalities. Piccolo's statement isn't very clear, so it may or may not be referring to the memories & personalities along with their evil.
In my opinion its implied from Piccolo's speech to Vegeta.
You are assuming that everyone that goes to Heaven is pure hearted like Goku or Gohan?
Not at all. If someone isn't mostly evil or pure evil, that person is mostly good and can be considered a good person. Therefore, no need to be reformed, and therefore cleansed and reincarnated.
Except that the RoSaT isn't exactly a room, it's a completely different dimension. The door is the portal to that dimension.
And? What prevents Heaven for having infinite gardens or doors with other pocket dimensions inside? Its a place even more mystical than Kami's lookout, so to assume it HAS to be like a regular planet doesn't make much sense especially when we've never even seen it or know stuff about it.
We don't know what happens to those that go to Heaven. Maybe they get reincarnated at a specific point, maybe they get reincarnated whenever they want, maybe they never get reincarnated. Debating about this is meaningless, because there isn't enough evidence for either side. But who knows, with Toriyama going around answering questions, we may learn the answer soon.
Of course we don't know. But I feel that its far more likely from what its presented in the manga that reincarnation is only for evil people as a means to reform them.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed May 14, 2014 1:24 am

See? Everything single point of yours is only your opinion. We do have a reason to think that good people get reincarnated: The AfterLife in DB is based on the Buddhist conception of the AfterLife. And according to that, good people get reincarnated as well.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Thu May 15, 2014 11:46 am

I agree, at this point we can only go by opinion. But we do have facts like the size of the planet of Heaven. And the fact that if we compare all the planets in the universe they would sparsely overpopulate the planet of Heaven. I think it is safer to assume that souls get recycled and it would give the God of Destruction and actual need to do his job. Rather than him destroying planets because he is told to and every good soul remains in Heaven. In fact that would destroy the whole purpose of him being needed to maintain the "balance" of the universe.