Any meaning behind the head crushing?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Any meaning behind the head crushing?

Post by NitroEX » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:58 am

One of the things I love about the series is going back and trying to find hidden meaning behind the more subtle and overlooked aspects of the story. For example I always noticed that Cell displays more of Android 17's personality after becoming perfect and this is also noticeable during the Cell games. My theory is 17's love of games and wanting to have fun likely spawned the reckless idea for the tournament in the first place and it's something I can't imagine the first form Cell wanting to do. Sure you could just say Cell's personality never changed and he was just more cautious before (which he was) but I think that's a rather boring way to look at and it doesn't give the androids (especially 17) much redemption at the end of the arc. Even if it isn't overtly displayed in any direct way I much prefer the idea of 17 and 18's flawed teenage human traits having a negative effect on Cell and counterbalancing the power increase. Perhaps this inadvertently causes his downfall by making him play with his opponents for the thrill of it. I do realize Goku's cells might also be seen as a cause for his personality but that's more of a stretch to me as I doubt such a small addition of Goku along with everyone else would have any major influence as opposed to absorbing the Androids and the transformation that brings both inside and out.

Anyway that aside I noticed the head crushing happening twice during the Android/Cell arc with 17 stepping on Gero's head and Cell doing the same to 16. Do you think this was some kind of intentional foreshadowing by Toriyama to later events? Was there some sort of symbolic meaning in it happening both times or just coincidence? I want to think there is something more to it but I'de like to hear what you guys think.

Valerius Dover

Re: Any meaning behind the head crushing?

Post by Valerius Dover » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:16 pm

This is great! :D
Now adding to my personal headcanon! Totally agree with you there.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:18 pm

Another interesting thought: Toriyama mentioned recently that #16's appearance was was patterned after Gero's son, who died fighting as a Red Ribbon soldier at some point.

So if Cell's robot-head-stomping tendencies are coming from #17, that means that #17 technically is the one who killed Gero's entire family (Gero himself and the robotic "replacement" for his son.)

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:23 pm

Cell's eagerness for battle is definitely Saiyan-like. I never considered Android 17's personality affecting Cell's behavior. However, I personally think it was just coincidence. I don't think Toriyama had any hidden intention behind the constant head stomping other than "A head stomp puts one out of their misery".
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:01 pm

I say it's a coincidence. No offence or anything, but don't you think that's a ridiculous theory by saying that's foreshadowing? Heck, it could be 17's and Cell's style for all I know. When Frieza stomped Goku into a rock, did Goku pass out?
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:30 am

EXBadguy wrote:I say it's a coincidence. No offence or anything, but don't you think that's a ridiculous theory by saying that's foreshadowing? Heck, it could be 17's and Cell's style for all I know. When Freeza stomped Goku into a rock, did Goku pass out?
I'm not necessarily claiming the head crushing is foreshadowing exactly but just trying to see if there might be some significance to it since it does happen twice in two important moments to two fairly important characters during that arc of the story. Sure it probably is just coincidence on Toriyama's part but I like to think there could be more to it and it's fun to speculate and connect dots.

Knowing that 16 is apparently based on Gero's son is interesting. Whether Toriyama intended that from the beginning is another question but for now I can buy that.
DarkPrince_92 wrote:Cell's eagerness for battle is definitely Saiyan-like.
True..

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:30 pm

I would buy that if Cell also held the same pose as 17 did when he had crushed Dr. Gero's head. Otherwise I see it as a coincidence.

Also, I don't believe that Cell's personality traits did come from anyone, and that includes his will to fight.
Cell was programmed to be perfect, and when he achieved that level he wanted to show off his power and abilities, pride in other words. It wasn't about thirst for fight, IMO.

TheUltimateVegito
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:30 am

I've always wondered this, but came to the conclusion that it's just a coincidence.
YouTube account:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperVegitoSSJ2

PSN: Songojames

My Reddit account is also Songojames

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:15 pm

I think its just for the shockvalue to emphasize how sadistic and inhuman these characters can be when they're intimidating.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:37 pm

Another "hidden" symbolism is how Gohan's broken arm parallels Future Gohan's severed arm. In both cases it's the left one.

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:27 pm

Marco Polo wrote:Another "hidden" symbolism is how Gohan's broken arm parallels Future Gohan's severed arm. In both cases it's the left one.
That could have been a parallel nod.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:25 am

Marco Polo wrote:Another "hidden" symbolism is how Gohan's broken arm parallels Future Gohan's severed arm. In both cases it's the left one.
I think Toriyama just hates left handed people. Whenever someone is "hurt" they always end up holding their left arm. Vegeta does this a lot.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92