How would a War arc work in Dragon Ball?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

How would a War arc work in Dragon Ball?

Post by Doctor. » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:09 am

Hypothetically, if a war arc is ever implemented in Dragon Ball (highly doubt it), how would it function? Who would be the fighters? What would be the motive? A war is typically a very, very serious topic, something that Dragon Ball doesn't normally address, hence why most people might think it's not suited for the series, I do too. But do you think it could work in some way? How so?

sintzu
Banned

Re: How would a War arc work in Dragon Ball?

Post by sintzu » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:50 am

If we ever get one it will have to be between 2 or more of the 12 universes.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:25 pm

Are we talking about a war on Earth? A galactic war? A civil war between the Z Fighters? The Earth government vs the Z Fighters?

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:31 pm

What would be interesting would be a Sengoku era feudal Japan. :P

There is a Pokemon game that did this and it was a pretty great game. Would be interesting to see a Dragon Ball game with that too. Possibly have the important history fights as rein-acted with battles from the manga.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:34 pm

Something involving the Red Ribbon Army actually fighting the Royal Military would've been interesting. King Furry never seemed to do anything about them in the actual series (obviously, he wasn't thought up yet, but still).
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:36 pm

FoolsGil wrote:Are we talking about a war on Earth? A galactic war? A civil war between the Z Fighters? The Earth government vs the Z Fighters?
Anything will do. What you feel could make a war arc work.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:08 pm

The war against the Demon King Piccolo (in the past, with Mutaito and co.) would be interesting. It would be kinda like the wars in the Dragon Quest games and mangas (Emblem of Roto and Dai no Dai Boken).

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:54 pm

Marco Polo wrote:The war against the Demon King Piccolo (in the past, with Mutaito and co.) would be interesting. It would be kinda like the wars in the Dragon Quest games and mangas (Emblem of Roto and Dai no Dai Boken).
This. I think we can still get something in the Daimao era.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Regarder
Regular

Post by Regarder » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:23 pm

A war would probably give some of the weaker characters something to do, at least.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:45 pm

Doctor. wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:Are we talking about a war on Earth? A galactic war? A civil war between the Z Fighters? The Earth government vs the Z Fighters?
Anything will do. What you feel could make a war arc work.
I would go with galactic. A power vacuum has been going on since Freeza's death. Remnants of Freeza's and King Cold's (Maybe Cooler's) armies vs the resistance and it's been a war going on for decades. One of the resistance crash lands on Earth asking for assistance 10 years after DBZ. Just about everyone outright refuses for various reasons to assist the guy, except for Pan, who's craving adventure.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:44 pm

King Furry's rise to power is something that if actually touched upon in the series would more than likely end up being pretty silly.

For the sake of the topic at hand, though, I could imagine there being some underhanded yakuza-type things going down all for the sake of getting (what I'm assuming is) a minority party in a position of power. Bipedal animals as well as dinosaurs seem to have died out later in the series, but just imagine how wars and general conflicts would have gone down on earth before that point. Red Ribbon-type mechs and dinosaurs and bears with swords all beating the crap out of each other over some kind of ideal that none of the parties can agree on... if anything it would at least be entertaining from a "my goodness, this is just spectacularly ridiculous" standpoint.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:03 pm

I think the closest to a 'war' Toriyama would ever depict would probably be Goku's one-man crusade against the Red Ribbon Army. I suppose on a lesser scale one could view Piccolo Daimao's rise as a war of sorts, or even the invasion of the Saiyans or the even the battle on Namek or the invasion of the Androids or Babidi/Majin Buu for that matter.

Besides, I find the current trend for 'war' arcs in Shonen to be tiresome. I think One Piece's war was more credible than Naruto's, but nevertheless, it was largely just fan-service to show established villains or major players fighting each other. As for Bleach? The current war storyline is just as ridiculous and bogged down in endless pointless fights as every other arc is.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:55 pm

Blade wrote: I find the current trend for 'war' arcs in Shonen to be tiresome. I think One Piece's war was more credible than Naruto's, but nevertheless, it was largely just fan-service to show established villains or major players fighting each other. As for Bleach? The current war storyline is just as ridiculous and bogged down in endless pointless fights as every other arc is.
The difference between those writers and Toriyama is he wouldn't write something that would ruin the series quality and reputation so if he does a war in one of the next movies you can be sure that it'll be epic and it'll no doubt put the wars you mentioned to shame.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:46 pm

sintzu wrote:
Blade wrote: I find the current trend for 'war' arcs in Shonen to be tiresome. I think One Piece's war was more credible than Naruto's, but nevertheless, it was largely just fan-service to show established villains or major players fighting each other. As for Bleach? The current war storyline is just as ridiculous and bogged down in endless pointless fights as every other arc is.
The difference between those writers and Toriyama is he wouldn't write something that would ruin the series quality and reputation so if he does a war in one of the next movies you can be sure that it'll be epic and it'll no doubt put the wars you mentioned to shame.
I'm not sure I agree, I think an obsession in presenting something 'epic' and high octane is exactly where One Piece, Naruto and Bleach have failed in their depiction of wars. Furthermore, the endless ramping up of high stakes battles in the Cell and Buu arc contributed greatly to Toriyama's burn out and distaste of writing in that style.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:03 pm

One Piece is the only Shounen so far that has successfully made a good war arc, so I was wondering if Toriyama could do the same feat as Oda. This isn't likely, as I consider Oda overall a far better writer, but nevertheless, I still hold Toriyama in a very high regard and I think he could pull it off in his comedic, yet serious when it needs to be, style.

ImmaDeker
Banned

Post by ImmaDeker » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:26 am

Both sides keep abusing different sets of Dragonballs to bring their soldiers back.

flashback0180
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by flashback0180 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:52 am

CAPSULE TEAM :
Maybe capsule corp takes over the world idk ,
Trunks,Vegeta,Bulma,Yamcha ,Kuririn,18 (bulma pays her)

THE KINGS ARMY

the kings army ,so Satan is hired .

Fat Buu, Gohan , Videl ,Goten

The peacekeepers

fighting to stop all wars and still hate vegeta(except goku)

Piccolo ,Popo,Tien, Chaozu, GOKU

TheUltimateVegito
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:13 pm

Z-Fighters vs Android Army

A galactic organization gains hold of the blueprints for Dr. Gero's androids and creates an army of them. That's the best concept I can think of for a war arc.
YouTube account:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperVegitoSSJ2

PSN: Songojames

My Reddit account is also Songojames

ImmaDeker
Banned

Post by ImmaDeker » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:50 pm

TheUltimateVegito wrote:Z-Fighters vs Android Army

A galactic organization gains hold of the blueprints for Dr. Gero's androids and creates an army of them. That's the best concept I can think of for a war arc.
My only quibble is I don't think the Gero ties are vaguely necessary. Shrinks the universe and, really, it's more than easy to assume space people can make android soldiers.

TheUltimateVegito
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:13 pm

ImmaDeker wrote:
TheUltimateVegito wrote:Z-Fighters vs Android Army

My only quibble is I don't think the Gero ties are vaguely necessary. Shrinks the universe and, really, it's more than easy to assume space people can make android soldiers.
I wouldn't say it's completely necessary, but it would make a great plot element. Considering that if Androids like Dr. Gero's are common among the DB Universe then they should already exist. It would also be a great plot element as it would explain why there is an army of ultra powerful robots as well as tying them into the main series.
YouTube account:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperVegitoSSJ2

PSN: Songojames

My Reddit account is also Songojames