About the Kaio/Kaioshin

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

About the Kaio/Kaioshin

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:36 pm

Where Kaio come from
Toriyama is next asked what the Kaio’s heredity system is like. Toriyama explains that inside the giant ball that is the DB cosmos is a world called Planet Kaishin (World-Core), which is where the Kaio are all born and raised. This planet is like a giant version of the Kaio Planets that North Kaio and the others live on. On it is a gigantic tree (or trees; the lack of Japanese plural clouds up things again), the Kaiju (World-Tree), and the Kaio are all born from the fruit of this tree, as Shin-jin (Core-People). The population of this planet is about 80. The Shin-jin are genderless, and their average life expectancy is said to be 75,000 years. They live leisurely lives, studying various things at a school-like castle. But whenever one of the Kaio on the Kaio Planets passes away, they draw lots among themselves to choose who will take that Kaio’s place and become the new Kaio. The Kaioshin, however, are chosen only from among Shin-jin born from a special golden fruit that is particularly rare. Occasionally there are delinquent Shin-jin with evil hearts, and they go to be with the Makaio (“Demon Realm Kings”; apparently the Demon Realm answer to the Kaio, like the Makaioshin are to the Kaioshin, though Toriyama doesn’t explain the term).
Was Kaishin destroyed? If not then how come we haven't had new Kaioshin/Kaio. Also why wasn't Kaio replaced when dead? Lastly why bother replacing dead Kaio when they can still just live on the planets as a dead beings eternally? Kaio and Elder Kaioshin could still be around despite being dead, so what's the point of switching out when they now kinda have eternal life. Is it to give other people a turn and that's it?

My only answers are

-Kaishin was destroyed at some point, probably by Boo is my guess.
-With Kaishin destroyed North Kaio was never replaced.
-Because so they didn't have to do their jobs for an eternity.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: About the Kaio/Kaioshin

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:47 pm

Well, dying of old age, and being stuck in the condition they were in prior to dying for the rest of eternity would kinda suck.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:19 pm

Kaishin couldn't have been destroyed by Buu, otherwise the present generation of Kaiou wouldn't be around. The events regarding Buu's last attack before he was imprisoned and sent to Earth happened millions of years ago, while the average Kaiou only lives to 75,000. That means all of them would had to have been born sometime after the events of Buu's attack on the Kaioushin.

It should be noted that it's said that only the Kaiou are selected from lots, not the Kaioushin, and given the rarity of the fruit, it's possible that none have grown on the Kaiju tree since the death of the other four Kaioushin. As for North Kaiou, perhaps given that he died before his 75,000 years time frame and the fact that he could perform his job just as adequately while dead as he could while alive, then the Shin-jin are just going to let him finish out his "term" so to speak.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:22 pm

Wait, wasn't Boo's attack 5 million years before age, Kaioshin being a witness? And he's still alive?

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:00 pm

Doctor. wrote:Wait, wasn't Boo's attack 5 million years before age, Kaioshin being a witness? And he's still alive?
The 75,000 life span seems to only refer to the Kaio from what I can see. Not the Kaioshin.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:06 pm

There's some question of when these events actually happen in the manga as well as whether gold fruit Shinjin have the same lifespan as the regular ones. Toriyama himself never gives a specific date to the Kaioshin events. It' always just X generation or some comparison like "when man learned to walk upright" (which is where they got the 5 million date for the Daizenshu, but it might have been different in the Dragon World). It's entirely possible anime!Elder Kaioshin is from ~75 million years ago and manga!Elder Kaioshin is from a measly ~1,125,000 years prior to the series.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:39 pm

My thinking was that Kaioshin are like Enma: they won't die of old age or they live for countless eons longer than regular Shin-jin. As for Kaio not being replaced, it's possible his tenure is based on a certain amount of years served and not whether or not the person is dead. For example, if the Kaios have to serve for 70,000 years and somehow die at the age of 20,000, then they'd be serving for another 50,000 years while dead.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:33 pm

Dayspring wrote:My thinking was that Kaioshin are like Enma: they won't die of old age or they live for countless eons longer than regular Shin-jin. As for Kaio not being replaced, it's possible his tenure is based on a certain amount of years served and not whether or not the person is dead. For example, if the Kaios have to serve for 70,000 years and somehow die at the age of 20,000, then they'd be serving for another 50,000 years while dead.
I agree somewhat. If a Kaio dies of natural cases (e.g. old age) then he is going to be replaced because his soul isn't going to be fit for continuing the work. But if they die at a relatively young age then there is no reason why they can't continue to do their duties.