So is Tarble now non-canonical?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kishido
Banned

So is Tarble now non-canonical?

Post by Kishido » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:11 am

While BoG mentioned him as possibility for the ritual Super completely ignored it?

So what stands more weight. The movie or Super?

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: So is Tarbles now non canon?

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:54 am

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Not being mentioned doesn't mean he doesn't exist. The JSAT special could still have happened and they just didn't bring him up for the same reason a lot of things go unmentioned in the series, or perhaps he'll be introduced in another manner for Super by tying in with the "F" Arc. Just wait and see what happens before you start worrying about this canon nonsense.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:34 am

1. There is no canon, none, nothing at all.
2. Just because Tarble wasn't mentioned, doesn't mean that he doesn't exist. And even if he was, doesn't mean that the same Tarble, which appeared in JSAT, was mentioned in Super. Example is Bardock. Bardock was mentioned in a manga by name, and was even shown there. Was it the same Bardock from Bardock: Father of Goku? No, it was a completely different Bardock with a completely different personality and (probably?) backstory.
Marco Polo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Cool to see Gohan have a kill for once. He hasn't killed someone since Cell (or Broli if you want to count in General).
He almost got Videl killed in Battle of Gods tho.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:13 pm

Yes it is. You can say bye bye to him.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:15 pm

He's not canon to Super. Super is about as canon as GT.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Absolute Ice
Beyond Newbie

Post by Absolute Ice » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:20 pm

He might participate in Vegeta's ritual. The thing is... He surely needs to appear, since Dragon Ball Super is a retelling (at this moment) of Movie 14, his mention there would not have a damn meaning at all if he does not appear again.
ジャネンバ ミラ

For a reality whose Janemba and Mira join the canon world and receive a proper personality.
The Greatest Villains Ever!

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:56 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Not being mentioned doesn't mean he doesn't exist. The JSAT special could still have happened and they just didn't bring him up for the same reason a lot of things go unmentioned in the series, or perhaps he'll be introduced in another manner for Super by tying in with the "F" Arc. Just wait and see what happens before you start worrying about this canon nonsense.
Even though you're right about this and I don't disagree with your logic, I'd just like to point out the the phrase 'absence of evidence is not evidence of absence' has always annoyed me, because it's not true. It would be better phrased as 'absence of evidence is not proof of absence', because it can be very strong evidence. For example, if someone claims they have a Lamborghini, but when asked are unable to show it or any pictures or evidence of it, and it's not in their garage and there are no records of them owning one, that's pretty strong evidence that they're lying.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:43 pm

Yep, non canon.

Unless he appears later on of course.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:49 pm

I'm going to take a wild guess and say he'll get a mention later on. Or when the plot calls for it.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:47 am

Mystic Tien wrote:1. There is no canon, none, nothing at all.
Can you and anyone else who says this please stop saying it cause all you're doing is spreading false information.
Kishido wrote:While BoG mentioned him as possibility for the ritual Super completely ignored it?

So what stands more weight. The movie or Super?
Super will be following the events that were written in it's BOG arc so it holds more weight.
Last edited by sintzu on Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:48 am

sintzu wrote:
Mystic Tenshinhan wrote:1. There is no canon, none, nothing at all.
Can you and anyone else who says this please stop saying it cause all you're doing is spreading false information.
I agree. It's getting annoying.

SSJ God Gogeta
I Live Here

Post by SSJ God Gogeta » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:50 am

He's "canon" to me and that's all that matters.
"I am neither Goku nor Vegeta! I am the one who will defeat you!!" - Gogeta

I'm that guy who makes the avatars

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:01 am

sintzu wrote:
How so? Seems like a true statement to me.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:40 am

sintzu wrote:
He's not spreading false information though, since there is truly no officially defined canon. We have some inferences made by Toriyama regarding things like GT and the pre-BoG movies, but neither he nor Toei have ever flat out said "This is canon and this is not".

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:16 am

Tyro wrote:How so? Seems like a true statement to me.
Saying there's no canon is like saying the writers aren't following any story line and are just doing whatever they want regardless of it fitting together or not which isn't the case now and never was.

The best example I can think of for a show not having a canon is Tom&Jerry,each episode is it's own thing and has nothing to do with what came before and what'll come after which doesn't fit DB at all cause each new arc is a continuation of the story and plot points that were set in the previous arcs.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:34 am

sintzu wrote:Saying there's no canon is like saying the writers aren't following any story line and are just doing whatever they want regardless of it fitting together or not which isn't the case now and never was.
That's precisely the case right now with Dragon Ball Super. They're re-telling events they literally just told, have massive age/year contradictions going on (saying it's six months after Buu, Beerus' 39 years thing not lining up with what they've told already, Videl already being pregnant despite us seeing Pan four years old at the final tournament, etc.). It's not fitting together at all, and you're supposed to just accept it.

That's in addition to all the contradictions that exist within the original 42-volume manga itself, irrespective of later adaptations. Then you DO get into the new material, and there's consistently more and more things that don't add up (everything from a couple timeframes in Jaco to massive strength disparities if you want to go down that route).

To say it's always worked perfectly and it's always made perfect sense is to be willfully or naively ignorant about how the series has been constructed and what the author's goals have always been.

I'm sorry you don't like the fact that no-one in an official capacity has outlined "THE CANON", but you don't get to change the truth just because you don't like it. If "THE CANON" was as easy and obvious as you think it is, there wouldn't be constant questions about it.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Re: So is Tarble now non-canonical?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:39 am

This is why TOEI shouldn't write Dragon Ball stories on their own... though recent stuff like Minus prove Toriyama-sensei lost quite a bit of his original touch,
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:53 am

VegettoEX wrote: That's precisely the case right now with Dragon Ball Super. They're re-telling events they literally just told, have massive age/year contradictions going on (saying it's six months after Buu, Beerus' 39 years thing not lining up with what they've told already, Videl already being pregnant despite us seeing Pan four years old at the final tournament, etc.). It's not fitting together at all, and you're supposed to just accept it.
I'm not saying it's perfect cause it's far from it but to say it doesn't exist is a little excessive.

I agree that Videl being pregnant this early is a massive contradiction to the original ending but did you ever think that maybe it's because Toriyama is going to give us a new one ? he wrote the original ending during a time where he was tired of the franchise and wanted to get done with it as fast as possible but now he's having fun with it and might have something better in mind.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:10 am

sintzu wrote: Can you and anyone else who says this please stop saying it cause all you're doing is spreading false information.

Buy the rights for Dragon Ball, become the Canonicity Manager, then we stop. Other than that, there is no unequivocal canonicity and nothing that leads to the conclusion of intended canonicity. Normally I am the guy who says when things are obvious and people don't want it to be but for that it has to be obvious. No legal owner cares about a definitive canonicity and that is how it is.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: So is Tarble now non-canonical?

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:21 am

There is no official canon besides, of course, the original source material, which is the manga. That is fact.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super