So is Tarble now non-canonical?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Re: So is Tarbles now non canon?

Post by rereboy » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:32 am

sintzu wrote:
Can you and anyone else who says this please stop saying it cause all you're doing is spreading false information.
What? That's completely true. No official entity has ever made a statement regarding what "counts" and what "doesn't count", what's canon and what's not canon. Therefore, it's completely true, there is no established canon. All there is is fan canon and fan's expectations regarding what could be considered canon and non-canon.

Someone claiming that something actually is canon is the one who is spreading technically false information. At most all he can say is if something should be canon or not and his expectation regarding whether it will be someday considered canon or not.
fadeddreams5 wrote:There is no official canon besides, of course, the original source material, which is the manga. That is fact.
Yes. But even portions of the manga can be considered non-canon if the author wishes. For example, if Toriyama stated that in light of BOG, ROF and Super, the last chapters of the manga are non-canon, at least portion of the manga would be non-canon. So, technically, not even the manga is safe.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: So is Tarble now non-canonical?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:40 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Not being mentioned doesn't mean he doesn't exist.
But most people always go by the "If it was never mention or seen again, it never happen". That's why Star Trek fans don't view Star Trek V as canon since that movie was mention ever again in the later films. You could say the same for the older 13 DBZ movies as well too.
DBZAOTA482 wrote:This is why TOEI shouldn't write Dragon Ball stories on their own... though recent stuff like Minus prove Toriyama-sensei lost quite a bit of his original touch,
Toei did stories of their own in the 90's and a lot of fans are mixed on GT and the 13 films. I'm glad Toriyama is writing the series again. He is a better story teller then Toei is in my opinion. GT was pretty bad and most of the 13 DBZ movies did suck. People have their nostalgia glasses on when they talk about how the older DBZ movies where amazing when most of them are pretty terrible. Sure Toei did some good stuff on their own, but most of it was pretty bad in my opinion.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:15 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:People have their nostalgia glasses on when they talk about how the older DBZ movies where amazing when most of them are pretty terrible.
I could outline in excruciating detail why I think several of the older DBZ films are not only good, but I may actually like them better than certain/corresponding parts of the "actual" story.

Can we please as a fandom get away from these piss-poor dismissals?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Sayo-chan
Regular

Post by Sayo-chan » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:23 pm

Why would Super take precedent over the movie it's reiterating? Why would the movie? Did Toriyama's work on BoGs directly affect the line about Tarble being put in? It's all rather arbitrary what's decided by fans to be canon, so I don't see why it matters. Official material is official material, contradictions and all.
VegettoEX wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:People have their nostalgia glasses on when they talk about how the older DBZ movies where amazing when most of them are pretty terrible.
I could outline in excruciating detail why I think several of the older DBZ films are not only good, but I may actually like them better than certain/corresponding parts of the "actual" story.
I would be interested in reading this.
Most Dragon Ball fans are incapable of making a logically sound argument.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:26 pm

Yes. But even portions of the manga can be considered non-canon if the author wishes. For example, if Toriyama stated that in light of BOG, ROF and Super, the last chapters of the manga are non-canon, at least portion of the manga would be non-canon. So, technically, not even the manga is safe.
Honestly, I have to disagree. Besides the fact that that portion of the manga would still be canon to the manga itself, which is the original source material, Toriyama doesn't have the final word in this matter since he doesn't have full ownership of the series. For example, he can't just say GT is non-canon--Toei or Shueisha (?) has to agree too. Chances are, they would, but I personally don't take anything the man says in a random interview as the new canon.

Imagine if Stan Lee claimed Spider-Man actually gained his powers from a mosquito that first sucked the blood of ancient spider-like humanoids before biting Peter Parker in his sleep. Yeah, no. lol.
Last edited by fadeddreams5 on Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:29 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: But most people always go by the "If it was never mention or seen again, it never happen". That's why Star Trek fans don't view Star Trek V as canon since that movie was mention ever again in the later films. You could say the same for the older 13 DBZ movies as well too.
Well, the events of the JSAT are pretty insignificant, though. Lots of things happen in everyone's lives that nobody ever mentions again. That doesn't mean it didn't happen. It just means it is not especially important. Tarble could be canonical or not.

As a Star Trek fan, as much as I dislike STV, it is unfortunately part of canon. The concept of a sect of Vulcans with emotions is referenced again in "Enterprise" as the V'Tosh Ka'tur, anyway. It is not like the JSAT -- to deny its canonical status would be a matter of personal preference, not of source material. The source material includes TOS and its 6 movies as canon (even though many episodes in TOS are standalone and not mentioned again). TAS is more disputed.

Film 13 (and maybe 1 other film? don't remember which) could still happen depending on the exact timing of Super. Again, not being mentioned doesn't mean it didn't happen (doesn't mean it did, but it is possible). A complete contradiction in the timeline (not a small one that could be a storytelling oops) makes it impossible to reconcile most movies, however.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:31 pm

For what it's worth, don't they even within the JSAT special itself mention how insignificant its events were? That's a perfect "out" for not having to ever really talk about it again.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:35 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
Honestly, I have to disagree. Besides the fact that that portion of the manga would still be canon to the manga itself, which is the original source material, Toriyama doesn't have the final word in this matter since he doesn't have full ownership of the series. For example, he can't just say GT is non-canon--Toei or Shueisha (?) has to agree too. Chances are, they would, but I personally don't take anything the man says in a random interview as the new canon.

Imagine if Stan Lee claimed Spider-Man actually gained his powers from a mosquito that first sucked the blood of ancient spider-like humanoids before biting Peter Parker in his sleep. Yeah, no. lol.
Yes but if all of them agree it is no longer canonical. That is what retconning is. Basically they could retcon all 42 vols. if they wanted.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:11 pm

Cetra wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:

Yes but if all of them agree it is no longer canonical. That is what retconning is. Basically they could retcon all 42 vols. if they wanted.
The manga is still canon within itself, and is the original source material. When we argue canonicity, we are basically pondering over what external material is canon to that original source material.

If they were to all agree that, say, the manga is not canon to the new content, and the new material is the official canon, that is quite literally the same as saying, "the new stuff is not canon to the manga." So basically, it's all pointless as far as building a timeline goes because fans only care about what fits in with the manga (or non-filler adaptation of it).
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:15 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
Cetra wrote: The manga is still canon within itself, and is the original source material.
When they decide to retcon the manga, the version that you know right now is no longer canonical to anything, not even itself because it is written out of existence when it comes to what is meant, like when you say "You have nice eyes, oops, no, I meant nose" or when someone changes his opinion and overrides the former content of his opinion with it. Do the versions of those books still exist? Yes. But it has no value when it comes to the informative part of Dragon Ball anymore as it is like I edit this post and give the signal "guys, that stuff that stood here before has no value". It then is just a letter that you throw away to write a new one or something that you tell the world just to say later "nah, forget that from before". Babidi talks about his father in the manga, That statement will always exist. But it has no value, as it is retconned. If people complain about something that actually no longer is "officially meant" then the entire complaint is not justified. One guy once asked me about Babidi and Bibidi, he did not know that the story was retconned but he knew it was no use to talk about the old lines anymore. Maybe you get what I mean. And when they come out one day and say "all of it is retconned now" then all of it, even the 42 vols. because they can, can be retconned and their official information is changed.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:49 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
Honestly, I have to disagree. Besides the fact that that portion of the manga would still be canon to the manga itself,
Thats not how canon works. If it worked that way, then everything would be canon to something, we would just have to specify to what, and all meaning of saying that something is canon would be lost. For example, movie 7 is canon (to a continuity that includes it). You could do the same to anything in the series. That's not really it's intent or it's point.

Canon is simply the main or real continuity of events, officially described and stated as such, distinguishable from other events that aren't part of it. And there's nothing stopping a portion of a manga from suffering a retcon and the official word being that the changes are canon, aka part of the main continuity, while the old stuff is not.
Toriyama doesn't have the final word in this matter since he doesn't have full ownership of the series. For example, he can't just say GT is non-canon--Toei or Shueisha (?) has to agree too. Chances are, they would, but I personally don't take anything the man says in a random interview as the new canon.

If the author and the company that owns the story and characters disagreed, that just means that there wouldn't be a single unified official word regarding canon. That's all. In those cases you would either choose which official position should be held in higher regard, or you would consider that a unified official position is required regarding canon.

And you finding the changes to spider-man's story ridiculous wouldn't matter at all if the people responsible for that made them official and declared them canon. So, what you feel about spider-man gaining his powers from a mosquito that first sucked the blood of ancient spider-like humanoids is rather irrelevant towards it being canon or not.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:14 pm

Cetra wrote: When they decide to retcon the manga, the version that you know right now is no longer canonical to anything, not even itself because it is written out of existence when it comes to what is meant, like when you say "You have nice eyes, oops, no, I meant nose" or when someone changes his opinion and overrides the former content of his opinion with it. Do the versions of those books still exist? Yes. But it has no value when it comes to the informative part of Dragon Ball anymore as it is like I edit this post and give the signal "guys, that stuff that stood here before has no value". It then is just a letter that you throw away to write a new one or something that you tell the world just to say later "nah, forget that from before". Babidi talks about his father in the manga, That statement will always exist. But it has no value, as it is retconned. If people complain about something that actually no longer is "officially meant" then the entire complaint is not justified. One guy once asked me about Babidi and Bibidi, he did not know that the story was retconned but he knew it was no use to talk about the old lines anymore. Maybe you get what I mean. And when they come out one day and say "all of it is retconned now" then all of it, even the 42 vols. because they can, can be retconned and their official information is changed.
rereboy wrote:
Thats not how canon works. If it worked that way, then everything would be canon to something, we would just have to specify to what, and all meaning of saying that something is canon would be lost. For example, movie 7 is canon (to a continuity that includes it). You could do the same to anything in the series. That's not really it's intent or it's point.

Canon is simply the main or real continuity of events, officially described and stated as such, distinguishable from other events that aren't part of it. And there's nothing stopping a portion of a manga from suffering a retcon and the official word being that the changes are canon, aka part of the main continuity, while the old stuff is not.
Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "canon." My point is the manga has its own self-contained timeline, as does GT. When we discuss what is canon, we are looking at the franchise as a whole and seeing what connects with what (i.e. Super to GT) to form an official timeline. Something non-canon is excluded from this timeline--it never happened within it.

In the case of DB, since the manga is the original source material, that is what we use to base what is canon and what is not by default; people want to know what is canon to THAT story. I'm not disagreeing that they can retcon the manga or even remove it from the canon altogether. I'm just saying that is incredibly stupid and wouldn't make sense since it's that timeline fans care about in the first place.
If the author and the company that owns the story and characters disagreed, that just means that there wouldn't be a single unified official word regarding canon. That's all. In those cases you would either choose which official position should be held in higher regard, or you would consider that a unified official position is required regarding canon.

And you finding the changes to spider-man's story ridiculous wouldn't matter at all if the people responsible for that made them official and declared them canon. So, what you feel about spider-man gaining his powers from a mosquito that first sucked the blood of ancient spider-like humanoids is rather irrelevant towards it being canon or not.
My original point was that Toriyama saying random nonsense in interviews doesn't change what actually occurred in the original manga. It's already there, and Toei and Shueisha have the higher authority.

My Stan Lee example wasn't about my personal opinion of retcons. If it's official, then it's official. What I meant was that Stan Lee stating something does not make it official. He's one man. A pioneer and legend, but he does not hold the rights to Spider-Man just because he created the hero.
Last edited by fadeddreams5 on Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

bjh13

Post by bjh13 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:12 am

rereboy wrote: Thats not how canon works. If it worked that way, then everything would be canon to something, we would just have to specify to what, and all meaning of saying that something is canon would be lost. For example, movie 7 is canon (to a continuity that includes it). You could do the same to anything in the series. That's not really it's intent or it's point.
Actually, that's exactly how the term canon works. To give an example, the Roman Catholic Church considers the Book of Sirach canonical, the Southern Baptist Convention does not.
rereboy wrote: Canon is simply the main or real continuity of events, officially described and stated as such, distinguishable from other events that aren't part of it.
Considering no one officially involved with Dragon Ball has made any statements regarding canon, that would mean there is no canon. Generally, for simplicity sake, most people consider the manga canon, but for all all we know Toei may consider the television shows and movies all canon despite the continuity problems.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:25 am

bjh13 wrote:
Actually, that's exactly how the term canon works. To give an example, the Roman Catholic Church considers the Book of Sirach canonical, the Southern Baptist Convention does not.
Not at all. What you are describing is just a case akin to having more than one official word regarding canon, just like I talked about in my previous post. That's not what fadeddreams5 was talking about.

What fadeddreams5 was describing is a case where there is just one official word regarding canon and where certain parts of the manga are considered non-canon by that official word, but, despite that, fadeddreams5 argued that those parts would still form a canon regarding the rest of the manga.
Considering no one officially involved with Dragon Ball has made any statements regarding canon, that would mean there is no canon.
That is my point, yes.
Generally, for simplicity sake, most people consider the manga canon, but for all all we know Toei may consider the television shows and movies all canon despite the continuity problems.
People generally confuse their certainty that the manga and all its parts would be considered canon by an official source with it actually being canon. In other words, they confuse expectation with what actually is. As I've demonstrated, even parts of the manga can be easily be left out of canon.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "canon." My point is the manga has its own self-contained timeline, as does GT. When we discuss what is canon, we are looking at the franchise as a whole and seeing what connects with what (i.e. Super to GT) to form an official timeline. Something non-canon is excluded from this timeline--it never happened within it.

In the case of DB, since the manga is the original source material, that is what we use to base what is canon and what is not by default; people want to know what is canon to THAT story. I'm not disagreeing that they can retcon the manga or even remove it from the canon altogether. I'm just saying that is incredibly stupid and wouldn't make sense since it's that timeline fans care about in the first place.
Yes, I agree that the manga forms its own continuity, but anything can form its own continuity, basically. And yes, it probably would be stupid.

My original point was that Toriyama saying random nonsense in interviews doesn't change what actually occurred in the original manga. It's already there, and Toei and Shueisha have the higher authority.

My Stan Lee example wasn't about my personal opinion of retcons. If it's official, then it's official. What I meant was that Stan Lee stating something does not make it official. He's one man. A pioneer and legend, but he does not hold the rights to Spider-Man just because he created the hero.
He might be just one man, but he is arguably the man with most moral authority over the character, as well as having certain legal rights to him. That makes him an official source. If he actually introduced those changes seriously, not as a joke or just a thought, and no other official source contradicted that, all we can really say is that we don't like the changes. We can always have our own fan canon, but that would be irrelevant for the actual canon.
Last edited by rereboy on Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:34 am

I'd say he was canon as he was mentioned in Battle of Gods. I also think that movie is more canon than Super as well. Has Toriyama actually had any involvement with the BoG or RoF sagas?

He might just be working on the Universe 6 arc which is likely the intended follow up of the latest movie. What we've seen so far is likely just Toei's spin on it.

Absolute Ice
Beyond Newbie

Post by Absolute Ice » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:22 pm

Bullza wrote:I'd say he was canon as he was mentioned in Battle of Gods. I also think that movie is more canon than Super as well. Has Toriyama actually had any involvement with the BoG or RoF sagas?
Probably not, if he had, we probably wouldn't see Gregory hanging around.
ジャネンバ ミラ

For a reality whose Janemba and Mira join the canon world and receive a proper personality.
The Greatest Villains Ever!

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:59 pm

Zombie wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Mystic Tenshinhan wrote:1. There is no canon, none, nothing at all.
Can you and anyone else who says this please stop saying it cause all you're doing is spreading false information.
I agree. It's getting annoying.
What's canon then? We can agree that the original 17 movies, the Bardock Special, PtEtSS, EoB, GT, and the video games are not part of Toriyama's continuity I guess, since they no longer fit at all (unless you count XenoVerse & take the parallel worlds path). But what about the rest? Which version of the story is canon, the Tankoubon manga, the Kanzenban manga, the DB/Z anime, or the DB/Kai anime? The manga version or the anime adaptation of the Trunks Special? The anime or the manga version of the JSAT Special? The theatrical version, the Special Edition, the Super anime adaptation, or the Super manga adaptation of BoG? The script from Volume "F", the manga adaptation, the movie version, the upcoming Super anime adaptation, or the (presumably) upcoming Super manga adaptation of FnF?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Relenanator

Post by Relenanator » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:52 am

Many people think the DBZ TV show form the 90's is canon when, in fact, they made many changes from the original manga. None of the movies are true canon. They are only canon to the DBZ TV series.

Now with that out of the way; I don't believe Tarble was ever canon but even if he was, he would only be canon to the Z timeline and not the new Super timeline.

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:17 am

I wonder what Toriyama's "head canon" is XD

He seams to do one thing, but does another thing, like when people thought he considered the Bardock Special as part of the continuity to the manga. Heck maybe he DID and just wanted to tell his spin on it? To many X factors in things like power levels and canon in this franchise to be precise on anything. You can only really make educated guesses and have fun debating it. And I doubt anyone at Toei or Toriyama will give out an official canon(s) list. Fans debating power levels and canon all the time is like free advertising. They don't wanna stop that. :D
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:29 am

VegettoEX wrote:I could outline in excruciating detail why I think several of the older DBZ films are not only good, but I may actually like them better than certain/corresponding parts of the "actual" story.
Sounds pretty interesting. You should do a thread about this.
LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:I wonder what Toriyama's "head canon" is XD

He seams to do one thing, but does another thing, like when people thought he considered the Bardock Special as part of the continuity to the manga. Heck maybe he DID and just wanted to tell his spin on it? To many X factors in things like power levels and canon in this franchise to be precise on anything. You can only really make educated guesses and have fun debating it. And I doubt anyone at Toei or Toriyama will give out an official canon(s) list. Fans debating power levels and canon all the time is like free advertising. They don't wanna stop that. :D
In my opinion, I don't think he really cares what's canon and what isn't. He's just happy telling stories and he's happy with TOEI adding to them, as long as Goku and the rest of the characters are portrayed accurately. I'm sure back in his day, people weren't as particular about inconsistencies and what was considered canon as they are now.