Freeza's race name?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Freeza's race name?

Post by worldmonsters » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:01 am

So to give this some context. My brother and I have been working on a Dragon Ball boardgame for years and we've decided that we want to actually design a proper board and 3d print some face card holders etc to actually make it LOOK like a professional boardgame as much as possible (check the fanworks thread here: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=33199)

In that boardgame you can have four characters and for each character you can choose from six different races including Human, Namekian, Saiyan, Android, Buu and Changeling. The word Changeling is something that stuck since we both grew up with the Funimation dub and all kinds of fanisms. But... what WOULD be the correct term?

I've heard "Freeza Clan" or just "Freeza's Race", but that's extremely vague to me and besides you can choose to look like 20 different Changelings (we have 20 different face cards for each race) and among those face cards are a few forms of Freeza, so calling them "Freeza Clan" or "Freeza's Race" isn't really gonna cut it. Has there ever been a proper name given?

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Freeza's race name?

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:18 am

The English version of Dragon Ball Xenoverse had Cell call them Frost Demons in some special mission or whatever it was. The Japanese version does not give the race a name.
That's the only time official material has given the race a name other than just calling it Freeza's race/clan AFAIK.

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:27 am

dbgtFO wrote:The English version of Dragon Ball Xenoverse had Cell call them Frost Demons in some special mission or whatever it was. The Japanese version does not give the race a name.
That's the only time official material has given the race a name other than just calling it Freeza's race/clan AFAIK.
Iiiinteresting. Frost Demons doesn't sound nearly as weird to put on the cards than Freeza Clan. iirc Xenoverse has a character creation option for looking like Freeza's race, right? Let me see if I can find out what they're called there... Same goes for Heroes now that I think about it...

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:28 am

Freeza's race name is unknown.However due to Frost,we might finally know what the hell is the name of their race is.Best hopes is we get to see something like.
''This is Frost,a XXX race from Universe 6 vs. Piccolo,a Namekian from Universe 7''

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:35 am

SSJ3 Vegeta wrote:Freeza's race name is unknown.However due to Frost,we might finally know what the hell is the name of their race is.Best hopes is we get to see something like.
''This is Frost,a XXX race from Universe 6 vs. Piccolo,a Namekian from Universe 7''
That's probably something to wait on a bit... though I hope it doesn't take super long to find out XD If the character is called Frost though, you'd think they wouldn't be called Frost Demons :o

Anyway, as far as I could tell Heroes and Xenoverse use "Freeza Clan"/"Freeza's Race", but honestly that's info from the wikia so I don't know how trustworthy that info is o.o

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:32 pm

worldmonsters wrote: That's probably something to wait on a bit... though I hope it doesn't take super long to find out XD If the character is called Frost though, you'd think they wouldn't be called Frost Demons :o
It's extremely unlikely anyone working on producing ANYTHING related to the series has any clue what name some English video game translator decided to make up and toss into a scene that originally didn't have a specific name mentioned. Even if they did, it's not like they'd have any reason to care.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:44 pm

Adamant wrote:
worldmonsters wrote: That's probably something to wait on a bit... though I hope it doesn't take super long to find out XD If the character is called Frost though, you'd think they wouldn't be called Frost Demons :o
It's extremely unlikely anyone working on producing ANYTHING related to the series has any clue what name some English video game translator decided to make up and toss into a scene that originally didn't have a specific name mentioned. Even if they did, it's not like they'd have any reason to care.
True, but I meant that it probably won't be Frost Demons then if that character is already called Frost :)

However so far Frost Demons seems to be the best name other than "Freeza's Clan"/"Freeza's Race". At least better than Changeling.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:29 am

Hopefully, Super will finally get this for us and put this to bed.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:51 am

I think originally they didn't have a name because they're mutants. They're supposed to be unique creatures or at least creatures that never existed before. Kind of like if a dinosaur suddenly gave birth to the first chicken ever.

Of course, the video games changed this by introducing many other members of the race.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:12 pm

Didn't "Frost Demons" originally come from that Multiverse fan manga?
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:24 pm

Marco Polo wrote:I think originally they didn't have a name because they're mutants. They're supposed to be unique creatures or at least creatures that never existed before. Kind of like if a dinosaur suddenly gave birth to the first chicken ever.

Of course, the video games changed this by introducing many other members of the race.
Yeah, that and just the whole thing of we need a name for the race for our boardgame :3 So honestly I don't mind that it sort of became its own race even though originally Toriyama might've intended to just have them a one-off family.

fadeddreams5 wrote:Didn't "Frost Demons" originally come from that Multiverse fan manga?
Good question, I dunno :o But at least it's better than "Changelings".

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:50 pm

They're aliens who transform. Xenomorphs ;)

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:08 pm

If we didn't get a official name in ROF, Freeza own movie, we will probably never know.
Unless someone just directly makes the question to Toriyama.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:04 pm

It's always possible that there are so few of the species in Universe 7 that a name isn't warranted, but that Universe 6 may have a enough of them that we get one.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Silver Sinspawn
Advanced Regular

Post by Silver Sinspawn » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:56 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:It's always possible that there are so few of the species in Universe 7 that a name isn't warranted, but that Universe 6 may have a enough of them that we get one.
There are around about 50+ named races, even for characters like Rasin and Lakasei who if you recall, don't have a whole heap of screen time.
Oh, you think the Grand Tour is your ally, you merely stepped into the Grand Tour. I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn’t see the Super until I was already a man; by then, it was nothing to me but blinding!

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:12 am

We're just going to have to see, but there never really was an opportunity to call Freeza and his species by their name in the series in contrast to Saiya-jin and Namekians, because when talking about them it would be in reference to a huge number of people, while we only see a few from Freeza's clan. Maybe because we're going to see someone of their species is not part of Freeza's clan we're going to get a name :o Well, the thing is, we just don't know :p We'll just have to wait and see.
FortuneSSJ wrote:If we didn't get a official name in ROF, Freeza own movie, we will probably never know.
Unless someone just directly makes the question to Toriyama.
I don't think that counts as anything. There was no moment in which it was necessary to call out Freeza's race. Just because the movie is about him doesn't mean that we will never get a name for the species if it wasn't mentioned in there. It has very little to do with one another :) But yes, someone ask Toriyama if you get the chance, please ;)

Maybe I should re-address the question...

What would be the best name to call Freeza's race without referring to the name Freeza? What would be the name you would agree on, that might not exactly be canon, but is good enough? Like, imagine a board game (or video game) was about to be published and the producers of that game were publicly asking the people on this very forum what they would think would be a proper name to call the species (with all the knowledge we have at this very moment).

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:53 am

worldmonsters wrote:We're just going to have to see, but there never really was an opportunity to call Freeza and his species by their name in the series in contrast to Saiya-jin and Namekians, because when talking about them it would be in reference to a huge number of people, while we only see a few from Freeza's clan. Maybe because we're going to see someone of their species is not part of Freeza's clan we're going to get a name :o Well, the thing is, we just don't know :p We'll just have to wait and see.
[...]
I don't think that counts as anything. There was no moment in which it was necessary to call out Freeza's race. Just because the movie is about him doesn't mean that we will never get a name for the species if it wasn't mentioned in there. It has very little to do with one another :)
I think it would be natural for his race to be pointed out, when Freeza blew up Namek's core. Freeza himself or Kaio could have said it was an ability inherent in his race, unlike Saiyans. Same thing in RoF, when he blows up Earth. In that case Whis or Beerus could have revealed his races' name, when talking about why he survived, whle Vegeta didn't.
What would be the best name to call Freeza's race without referring to the name Freeza? What would be the name you would agree on, that might not exactly be canon, but is good enough? Like, imagine a board game (or video game) was about to be published and the producers of that game were publicly asking the people on this very forum what they would think would be a proper name to call the species (with all the knowledge we have at this very moment).
I appreciate DB Multiverse's name for the race Frost Demons. At the very least there should be an ice pun, so Changelings and Acrosians do definitely not fit the bill.
Not sure they should be called Demons though.
Perhaps it should follow the naming conventions of Namekian, Saiyan and Tsufurian, so a japanese pun on some ice-related word and then ian.

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:01 am

dbgtFO wrote:
worldmonsters wrote:We're just going to have to see, but there never really was an opportunity to call Freeza and his species by their name in the series in contrast to Saiya-jin and Namekians, because when talking about them it would be in reference to a huge number of people, while we only see a few from Freeza's clan. Maybe because we're going to see someone of their species is not part of Freeza's clan we're going to get a name :o Well, the thing is, we just don't know :p We'll just have to wait and see.
[...]
I don't think that counts as anything. There was no moment in which it was necessary to call out Freeza's race. Just because the movie is about him doesn't mean that we will never get a name for the species if it wasn't mentioned in there. It has very little to do with one another :)
I think it would be natural for his race to be pointed out, when Freeza blew up Namek's core. Freeza himself or Kaio could have said it was an ability inherent in his race, unlike Saiyans. Same thing in RoF, when he blows up Earth. In that case Whis or Beerus could have revealed his races' name, when talking about why he survived, whle Vegeta didn't.
I appreciate DB Multiverse's name for the race Frost Demons. At the very least there should be an ice pun, so Changelings and Acrosians do definitely not fit the bill.
Not sure they should be called Demons though.
Perhaps it should follow the naming conventions of Namekian, Saiyan and Tsufurian, so a japanese pun on some ice-related word and then ian.
Ah, you make a good point about Kaio and Whis, I hadn't thought of that. Well still..

Also I like your thinking about "Frost Demons". Frostians though? We'd need to think of a Toriyama esque name-pun... Namek comes from Namekuji iirc which is japanese for slug or snail and Saiyajin comes from vegetable people. So... Frost-jin? Frostian? Coldian?

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:04 am

worldmonsters wrote:Also I like your thinking about "Frost Demons". Frostians though? We'd need to think of a Toriyama esque name-pun... Namek comes from Namekuji iirc which is japanese for slug or snail and Saiyajin comes from vegetable people. So... Frost-jin? Frostian? Coldian?
Haha, none of those, it has to be a japanese based word :P
But yes the literal translation to English would be something like that.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:05 pm

"The Cold Blooded" would be cool. It would frame their personality, but work better as a clan name. "Reiketsuna" in Japanese, according to Google translator.