What do you think of Super 17?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: What do you think of Super 17?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:14 am

Dr. Gero still created the blue prints for Cell. While his computer did the main work, it was still his own creation.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:52 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Dr. Gero still created the blue prints for Cell. While his computer did the main work, it was still his own creation.
While this is true, Gero wouldn't have any idea how power Cell would have become. It was the computer who was collecting cells from Frieza and such. Without which have no idea exactly how powerful Cell would have been. In that sense it makes sense for him not to acknowledge Cell as his ultimate creation. When Cell was first born, even with all that DNA he was still pretty weak.

MajinBrolyYamcha

Post by MajinBrolyYamcha » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:27 am

Super Trash 17. He is Trash

Lupin879
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lupin879 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:42 am

I have never understood how the cyborg works. Then he can absorb and use up any attack, whether energy or physical? Goku seems to make him damage with physical attacks, but he seems to only be able to defend himself from the energy attacks, which then absorbs. But in the end how would he defeated? While he stops the energy attacks can not move in any way? He automatically begins to absorb energy attacks and at that time, even if he wanted to, he could not defend himself from physical attack? Because if he was not prevented from defending himself then it was enough not to absorb the blows of his sister, but he would have to defend against Goku.

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:29 am

My second most hated villain in the entire franchise, right behind Broly.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

Colonel Silver
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Colonel Silver » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:15 am

My absolute favorite Cyborg/Android/Artificial Human/Bio-Mutant/Machine Mutant. It's more because of his feats and abilities than his backstory or personality, he's a broken ass character. He is capable of absorbing energy, he has two infinite power generators in his body, and he can absorb other artificial humans. He absorbed Cell, let that stew in your mind for second. Think about all he would be capable of. He is undoubtedly the ultimate creation of the Red Ribbon Army.

Oh, before I get beaten down for bringing video-game abilities to this discussion, I believe Super 17's absorption abilities are "canon" to the character. I don't believe the two 17s actually fused. I think the Machine-Mutant created in hell simply absorbed the original 17 to create Super 17. It's not like GT is canon to begin with anyway. So, like, I dunno, there's a grey area for applying non-canon info to something already non-canon, right? lol

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:48 pm

The best thing I can think about him is that he puts to good use the great concept of absorbing the opponent's Ki to become stronger, which was terribly sidelined in the Android arc. The Gero/Android 19 section is easily my favorite of that arc, but sadly the two were treated pretty badly, so having a cool designed character take inspiration from them is a plus in my book. Sadly, the story surrounding him was more concerned with Hell breaking loose, Goku being trapped there and old villains coming back to life for like 5 seconds.
His personality could have been a little better too, since he doesn't really feel like the 17 we knew from before.

Cool character with cool powers that doesn't really do anything interesting would be my summary of the character.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:46 pm

In a franchise were I like all the characters, Super 17 is the only one I don't like.

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:08 pm

Adrian Malacoda wrote:Easily my least favorite part of GT, but that was more due to the arc than the character himself. Specifically, even ignoring the fact that villains shouldn't keep their bodies in Hell, it is very implausible that Gero and Myuu would have the materials or the ability to construct another #17 in Hell, and even more implausible that this #17 would be able to create a hole in Hell that allows them to escape.
Exactly my gripes. That's pretty much GT in a nutshell for ya :P

I'll add to the list the fact that he was way too strong for what he was. And the way he died was unbelievably lame too.

Colonel Silver
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Colonel Silver » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:21 pm

and I'm sorry that my post basically boiled down to "He's fucking cool and powerful." but that's all there is to him. I'm not sophisticated enough to go into greater detail and I am a casual fan at best. Cool is all I care about when I watch this stuff mostly.

It will always be one of my favorite concepts. He was created in Hell, okay? He gets high on planet busting laser beams, and he has fabulous hair. He's metal as fuck.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:34 pm

I don't like him.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:24 pm

He has a cool design.

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:49 am

I don't like the way his mouth is drawn either. But that's a problem with most characters in GT, for some reason they look like they have receding chins or something :D

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:22 pm

Bad concept and arc. OK design...

Thanos

Post by Thanos » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:30 pm

The whole arc is literally like a 12-year-old's fan fiction. Absolutely nothing inspired or creative about the concept. So, basically, Gero and Myuu created from scratch a fully artificial version of an existing cyborg (and managed to find the resources to do so in Hell) which was a copy of #17 of all people, who then came to Earth and fused with the existing #17 who was basically a good guy at that point. We'd already revisited the Red Ribbon angle, now we're revisiting the artificial humans (after already having a DBZ feature on it). Eww. Why not make an already super powerful new artificial human? All of the drama with Kuririn, 17 & 18 was half-baked and awkward. Honestly, everyone involved with the production of that arc needs to be slapped.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:35 pm

I haven't watched the arc so I can't make any comment. But I have seen his design.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

I consider his design to be lame.

Ozotto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ozotto » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:46 am

Super 17 was lame, we had previously had a Super 13 movie from Toei.
Androids already had an arc, etc.
It wasn't the most creative or interesting...

A Cell Jr. some how surviving and returning as an adult trained up power house, would have been better.
If we were to bring back an android...

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:18 pm

Super 17's existence is not better or worse than Freeza's sudden return and him getting stronger in 4 months. For the silliness of the entire franchise he is okay.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:27 pm

Ozotto wrote:Super 17 was lame, we had previously had a Super 13 movie from Toei.
Yeah, that. I actually rewatched the battle with Super 17 yesterday, and I couldn't help thinking about Super 13. 13 was Pre-FPSSj SSj tier at best, and absorbing the core components of 2 other androids couldn't even put him past the means of a pre-FPSSj SSj to defeat. Then suddenly two regular Androids 17 fuse, and they're suddenly stronger than a SSj4. Not only was Toei patting themselves on the back again, homaging their own story, but they hadn't even thought of ways to make it consistent or make sense. Or like someone said - they could have made this an opportunity for Vegeta or Gohan to get some spotlight by making Super 17 an opponent around their capabilities, but no! Of course not. Toei just couldn't resist the urge to show everyone once again just how much better Goku is than everyone else.
Cetra wrote:Super 17's existence is not better or worse than Freeza's sudden return and him getting stronger in 4 months. For the silliness of the entire franchise he is okay.
Yeah, except getting as powerful as Freeza did through only 4 months of training (albeit a grueling one), I consider a borderline plausible explanation who was literally born with a power of 120 million. Thought Broly was impressive with his 10k? Well take Freeza with 12000x more power as nothing more than birthright. On the other hand, two 17s fusing together making Super 17 as strong as he was - yeah, no.

Shinda Forever
Temporarily Banned

Post by Shinda Forever » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:36 pm

I really like him, he has an excellent design, personally, i prefer Super 17 to the regular A-17.