So Goku shaves??

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheMikado
I Live Here

So Goku shaves??

Post by TheMikado » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:17 pm

I always assumed Goku just couldn't grow facial hair like that.
Considering the guy cares nothing about appearances and barely wants to put on new clothes this feels hard to believe.
I mean he didn't get beards other times, plus I doubt Chi-chi would give him grief considering her father is the King of Beards.

I'll take it as just a cute joke and for the most part assume Goku doesn't have any real ability to grow facial hair.

Vegeta I get though, considering he's always on his royalty kick and upkeeping proper appearance would be part of it. Plus I image Bulma would give him a hard time about it.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: So Goku shaves??

Post by Chuquita » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:45 pm

I like to head-canon that those beards they grew in the RoSaT were their very first ones. (Saiyan aging is its own thing; if they don't suddenly become old until their 80, why not have them suddenly gain the ability to grow facial hair only once they get close to 50).

I did like Vegeta with the beard (that royalty vibe), but I didn't like Gokû with it at all (I thought it looked bad on Gokû imo).

Alternatively, if those are not their first beards, maybe Gokû doesn't like how he looks with facial hair and that's why he was saying he felt better after he'd shaved it off in that ep.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:43 am

I like to head-canon that those beards they grew in the RoSaT were their very first ones. (Saiyan aging is its own thing; if they don't suddenly become old until their 80, why not have them suddenly gain the ability to grow facial hair only once they get close to 50).
This would actually make a lot of sense, considering that the only other bearded/mustached Saiyans we've seen so far have been the older ones... Nappa, King Vegeta, I think Onio from Neko Majin Z had some fuzz maybe? Unless I'm forgetting an example of a younger Saiyan with facial hair, it does seem to be an "old guy" thing for the species as a whole.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:58 am

Pantalones wrote:
This would actually make a lot of sense, considering that the only other bearded/mustached Saiyans we've seen so far have been the older ones... Nappa, King Vegeta, I think Onio from Neko Majin Z had some fuzz maybe? Unless I'm forgetting an example of a younger Saiyan with facial hair, it does seem to be an "old guy" thing for the species as a whole.
Closing in on 50 is too old for the facial hair theory, because Nappa had facial hair when Vegeta was still a kid in the anime. Also, Goku is still physically below 40, I believe he's 38, but Vegeta on the other hand is about 52. Maybe Vegeta's been shaving for years. :P

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:25 am

Sora Saiyan wrote:
Pantalones wrote:
Closing in on 50 is too old for the facial hair theory, because Nappa had facial hair when Vegeta was still a kid in the anime. Also, Goku is still physically below 40, I believe he's 38, but Vegeta on the other hand is about 52. Maybe Vegeta's been shaving for years. :P
We never actually see King Vegeta in the manga though and Nappa could be 50 by the time the Saiyan's arrive to fight the Z Fighters if you ignore the non-manga event of seeing Nappa with Vegeta as a child. Herms guide has Nappa at age 49-58 during the events of they Saiyan Saga. So it could work? And you could argue that he was 50 back then too if you really wanted to include that scene with him and young Vegeta.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:12 am

Even if he doesn't care about appearance he might shave because he doesn't like getting punched in the face with a beard. Pretty sure I've heard some MMA fighters say that. Though they have gloves and that might cause some beard hair to get ripped out :shock:
Or maybe one of his teachers told him to. Like how Krillin shaved his head when he was fighting. I know Grandpa Gohan and Roshi had facial hair but that might just be because they were older and not active any more like how Krillin grew his hair out when he sort of retired. When we see younger versions of Roshi he doesn't have facial hair.
Though that doesn't really explain why he let it grow out when training with Vegeta... Maybe they ran out of shaving cream.
(Also I gotta say I never thought this would come up :lol: )

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:09 am

This is like saying Chaozu doesn't go to the bathroom because we never seem him go to the bathroom. There's no reason to believe Goku can't grow facial hair. If you wish to count it, Toriyama drew a what-if old man Goku where he has a thick white mustache.

(I had to think for a second on the character I was gonna use, because we have in fact had many folks in-series go to the bathroom!)
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:15 am

Hitiro wrote:
Sora Saiyan wrote:
Pantalones wrote:
We never actually see King Vegeta in the manga though and Nappa could be 50 by the time the Saiyan's arrive to fight the Z Fighters if you ignore the non-manga event of seeing Nappa with Vegeta as a child. Herms guide has Nappa at age 49-58 during the events of they Saiyan Saga. So it could work? And you could argue that he was 50 back then too if you really wanted to include that scene with him and young Vegeta.
Toriyama did do the face design for King Vegeta so it's very likely his face would've remained the same if he did appear in the manga. Also, if Nappa was that old back then it still wouldn't explain Goku growing facial hair well before he is 50 physically, so I can't see the 50 for facial hair theory fitting.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:19 am

During the "Z" portion of the manga, we see these people over a total of, like, 16 days. Most of the arcs take place over one or two days, with a couple of gaps between them.

Point being, we don't know what the characters are off doing during the majority of the time they exist in the DB universe. Maybe Goku had serious stubble in the 10 day wait for the Cell Games? Who knows?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:00 pm

I'm not complaining about this, I just find it funny that Goku apparently takes the time to make sure he's clean shaven.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:10 pm

TheMikado wrote:I'm not complaining about this, I just find it funny that Goku apparently takes the time to make sure he's clean shaven.
Maybe its not a big deal. Could be hes a baby face but can grow facial hair but it takes a really long time to get anything noticeable so he shaves vary rarely.

Or maybe Chichi makes him shave and he kept up with it out of habit but said habit broke after ~3 years and dead bodies don't grow facial hair for some reason.
Last edited by dario03 on Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:14 pm

dario03 wrote:
TheMikado wrote:I'm not complaining about this, I just find it funny that Goku apparently takes the time to make sure he's clean shaven.
Maybe its not a big deal. Could be hes a baby face but can grow facial hair but it takes a really long time to get anything noticeable so he shaves vary rarely.
Or maybe he spends all of his free time when not training shaving his wookie legs. All that Oozaru hair has to come from somewhere.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:25 pm

Sora Saiyan wrote:Toriyama did do the face design for King Vegeta so it's very likely his face would've remained the same if he did appear in the manga. Also, if Nappa was that old back then it still wouldn't explain Goku growing facial hair well before he is 50 physically, so I can't see the 50 for facial hair theory fitting.
It doesn't have to be 50's it could be 40's? And when Tarble Comes to Earth Goku is 35(Added 3 years on because Herms Age Guide doesn't take into account that Dragon Ball Minus puts Goku at 3 years old before he left Planet Vegeta). Battle of Gods takes place 3 years later. By this time Goku is 38. Goku and Vegeta train in Whis' version of the RoSaT, there is no telling how long they spent in there. Plus the extra 6 months that passed before Goku initiated this training and Goku trained for a month. So that is 7 months that we do know which would either mean Goku was 38(If you don't count Whis' RoSaT) or 39(Again if you don't count the time they spent in Whis' RoSaT). Goku then spends 3 years in the Lookout's RoSaT putting him at 43(Without counting Whis' RoSaT). So it is highly possible that he could be 50, he is at least 42(If he didn't have a birthday in the 6-7 months leading up to FnF) if you count these events.

Did Toriyama do the face for King Vegeta? I don't recall that but it's been a whle. Also, as I said, the age could be 40's for facial hair to start growing. Vegeta's father would probably be in his 40's.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:49 pm

Hitiro wrote:It doesn't have to be 50's it could be 40's? And when Tarble Comes to Earth Goku is 35(Added 3 years on because Herms Age Guide doesn't take into account that Dragon Ball Minus puts Goku at 3 years old before he left Planet Vegeta). Battle of Gods takes place 3 years later. By this time Goku is 38. Goku and Vegeta train in Whis' version of the RoSaT, there is no telling how long they spent in there. Plus the extra 6 months that passed before Goku initiated this training and Goku trained for a month. So that is 7 months that we do know which would either mean Goku was 38(If you don't count Whis' RoSaT) or 39(Again if you don't count the time they spent in Whis' RoSaT). Goku then spends 3 years in the Lookout's RoSaT putting him at 43(Without counting Whis' RoSaT). So it is highly possible that he could be 50, he is at least 42(If he didn't have a birthday in the 6-7 months leading up to FnF) if you count these events.
Goku is ~3 years old when he's sent off Vegeta in DB-, but the events of that story happen in AGE 739, not AGE 737. Which means the 3 years either covers all of those years in full and he's the exact same age, or at most 1 year older than we thought.

As for the rest of the Super Era timeline, this is still the best I can come up with for now:
Going off the anime's apparent timeline for Super (until we get something official): 780-737 = 43
Goku's year dead in the Saiyan Arc is negated by his time in the RoSaT during Kami's training and the Cell Arc.
~7 years dead after the Cell Arc nets him an age of 36.
He spent another 3 years in the RoSaT for the Hakaishin tournament, so 39.

The only part not worth factoring in is the anime's inclusion of Whis' "divine RoSaT", because we don't know exactly how much "real world" time they spent in there or what the exact correlation is to the flow of time within the staff dimension. Being like the RoSaT they know doesn't mean it's 1 day = to 1 year. They only had so many pizzas in there, and Saiyans eat a lot...

That gives you a potential range of:
38 (potential Super manga and born in 737)
39 (potential Super manga and born in 736, or Super anime and born in 737)
40 (Super anime and born in 736)
Hitiro wrote:Did Toriyama do the face for King Vegeta? I don't recall that but it's been a while.
He did.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Protege
Beyond Newbie

Post by Protege » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:36 pm

I was kinda upset to see it come and go like that. I was hoping that perhaps we would see more of Goku with his beard like that. I mean there is nothing wrong with having a beard and its actually considered manly and viking warrior like. I guess japan just hates beards or atleast not very a fond of culturally ;(

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:26 am

Protege wrote:I was kinda upset to see it come and go like that. I was hoping that perhaps we would see more of Goku with his beard like that. I mean there is nothing wrong with having a beard and its actually considered manly and viking warrior like. I guess japan just hates beards or atleast not very a fond of culturally ;(
They can't grow beards. That's why almost no one has facial hair in DB except moustaches.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:05 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:
Protege wrote:I was kinda upset to see it come and go like that. I was hoping that perhaps we would see more of Goku with his beard like that. I mean there is nothing wrong with having a beard and its actually considered manly and viking warrior like. I guess japan just hates beards or atleast not very a fond of culturally ;(
They can't grow beards. That's why almost no one has facial hair in DB except moustaches.
Except ya know, one of the most famous Dragon Ball characters.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:11 am

soppa saia people wrote:
Kuririn Fan wrote:
Except ya know, one of the most famous Dragon Ball characters.
I can only think of Muten Roshi and King Vegeta. My "almost no one" statement is pretty damn true.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:13 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:
soppa saia people wrote: Except ya know, one of the most famous Dragon Ball characters.
I can only think of Muten Roshi and King Vegeta. My "almost no one" statement is pretty damn true.
Don't forget Ox King!

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:14 am

Yeah, how could i forget that important character!
And Bacterian!