How did Vegeta get God Ki?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Re: How did Vegeta get God Ki?

Post by DBZ Macky » Mon May 01, 2017 2:11 am

There was actual build-up for Vegeta attaining SS and SS2. We saw him struggle and get desperate for SS to the point where he literally cried at his helplessness. It took him training for 7 years to attain SS2 and only after selling his soul was he able to compete on an equal basis with Goku.

Compare that to him getting the form off-screen after just a few months of training with Whis.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Mon May 01, 2017 5:53 pm

If characters like Beerus and other Gods of Destruction (and presumably an-about-to-be Hakaishin like Toppo) can get ungodly powerful just by training with their Angel attendants, I don't see how Vegeta reaching godhood by training with Whis is a problem.

People claim that Vegeta reaching godhood in a matter of 6 months cheapens SSJG, but isn't the concept of SSJG cheap itself considering all the Saiyans on Earth have to do is to hold hands for one other to reach such godly heights in power. I mean, the ritual could've been abused to death to make Gohan, Goten, Trunks and Pan god tier levels of strength.
Kaboom wrote:And he gained that power just in time to make Goku look good by getting his ass kicked by some random edgy trenchcoat dude who apparently got his hands on the watch from Clockstoppers.
And much later on, Goku gets KO'd by the dude in just one shot.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon May 01, 2017 6:55 pm

DBZ Macky wrote:There was actual build-up for Vegeta attaining SS and SS2. We saw him struggle and get desperate for SS to the point where he literally cried at his helplessness. It took him training for 7 years to attain SS2 and only after selling his soul was he able to compete on an equal basis with Goku.

Compare that to him getting the form off-screen after just a few months of training with Whis.
There was zero build up to Vegeta getting SSJ and even less for him getting SSJ2. The reason Vegeta gave as to how he attained the form is just dumb. It flies right in the face of everything that happened on Namek and retroactively ruins all of the symbolism with regards to how Goku became a SSJ in the first place. But because for a lot of people Vegeta had suffered so much on Namek, they were willing to brush all that aside because they felt he deserved that moment. Vegeta becoming a SSJ in circumstances that he did was just flat-out bad writing because the whole point of the Namek/Freeza arc was basically, "Don't be like Vegeta and you can become a SSJ." Then Toriyama backtracked on that and practically handed Vegeta the Super Saiyan form. For me personally, the mystique of Super Saiyan was destroyed the second it was achieved off-screen by Vegeta.

As for SSJ2... it just happened at some point in seven years for training. Just like SSJ2 and SSJ3 did for Goku.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:20 pm

Welp, it has now been confirmed:

By training with Whis and Beerus!
ttps://twitter.com/Herms98/status/1053715561165647872

I mean, many of us have speculated this in the past, so it didn't come off as surprising, at least to me. *Shrugs*

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:39 pm

DBZ Macky wrote:There was actual build-up for Vegeta attaining SS and SS2. We saw him struggle and get desperate for SS to the point where he literally cried at his helplessness. It took him training for 7 years to attain SS2 and only after selling his soul was he able to compete on an equal basis with Goku.

LOL he trained off screen for 7 years and got SSJ2. Am I supposed to believe that there's any build up there and we should feel like he earned it? Vegeta, somebody who has never had a master before, swallowed his pride and literally got on his hands and knees and begged somebody to train him. He also cooked for them and showed humility by doing house-cleaning in return for getting training from a God. And we actually saw him learn the nuance to God Ki and how it works, per this God. This is a perfect example of the extraordinarily prevalent double-standard that exists.

Edit: Didn't realize how old that post was.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:14 pm

superfan2024 wrote:Welp, it has now been confirmed:

By training with Whis and Beerus!
ttps://twitter.com/Herms98/status/1053715561165647872

I mean, many of us have speculated this in the past, so it didn't come off as surprising, at least to me. *Shrugs*
We saw how he got it in 20 and 22. Whis taught both him and Goku.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:44 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:

There was zero build up to Vegeta getting SSJ and even less for him getting SSJ2. The reason Vegeta gave as to how he attained the form is just dumb. It flies right in the face of everything that happened on Namek and retroactively ruins all of the symbolism with regards to how Goku became a SSJ in the first place. But because for a lot of people Vegeta had suffered so much on Namek, they were willing to brush all that aside because they felt he deserved that moment. Vegeta becoming a SSJ in circumstances that he did was just flat-out bad writing because the whole point of the Namek/Freeza arc was basically, "Don't be like Vegeta and you can become a SSJ." Then Toriyama backtracked on that and practically handed Vegeta the Super Saiyan form. For me personally, the mystique of Super Saiyan was destroyed the second it was achieved off-screen by Vegeta.

As for SSJ2... it just happened at some point in seven years for training. Just like SSJ2 and SSJ3 did for Goku.
You are projecting a false message into the Namek arc's story. No such "point" was ever implied in that arc, let alone any symbolism you seem to project on to it. Goku unlocked SSJ for the first time through feeling intense rage, not his "purity" nor morality of any kind. The way Vegeta and Future Trunks did it was essentially no different. And if anything, the way Vegeta got SSJ for the first time was actually better written than how Goku did on Namek, since it suits his character more considering what he went through.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:47 pm

Wasn't it obvious that he got it training with Whis after Battle of Gods? Its common sense.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:15 am

Lord Beerus wrote:

But, you do know that Vegeta needed to get the form if he was going to be relevant in that arc.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.