A volume centured around Jaco - kinda dissapointed

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

A volume centured around Jaco - kinda dissapointed

Post by SaiyaMel » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:38 pm

I guess that this subject has been brought up before...

I'm kinda disappointed to learn that a character the likes of Jaco has his own manga series (several pages?), yet Bardock doesn't - only a little snippet showing him and Gine sending off young Kakarot. Okay, there is that spinnoff showing Bardock way back in distant past on Planet Plant... I personally think it would be great if Toriyama reveals a lot more of the Saiyans and Planet Vegeta than he has already. What I've wanted for years.

Hopefully down the road in DBS, Vegeta (and probably Goku too) will go with Cabba to Planet Sadla like he mentions - that should be interesting. Love to see more of the U6 Saiyans.
Just Saiyan...

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: A volume centured around Jaco - kinda dissapointed

Post by Chuquita » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:08 am

I'm still holding out hope for a Planet Sadla arc. In fact I'm hoping it's what happens after this Future Trunks arc, but I bet it'll be the Omniverse tournament instead.

They dropped so many tidbits about Sadla in the Champa arc I was surprised they didn't go there afterwards.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:45 am

I prefer Jaco to Bardock. Plus the reception to Dragonball Minus is horrific. I don't think the fandom generally want Toriyama to write more Bardock backstory.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:51 am

I rather enjoyed the Jaco manga. I feel that it was a totally different story from Dragon Ball and it gave me an opportunity to like something brand new without having to fit into the constraints of Dragon Ball. I personally thought that DB Minus was awful. I think that we've nailed Burdock into the ground at this point.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:47 pm

Jaco is one whole volume; It's a couple chapters long. Ten...? I could look it up on this very site...?

Episode of Bardock is three chapters long. I mean, if you include that, the TV special it's a direct sequel to, and Minus... It's almost equal? I honestly think we know enough about Saiyans.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:49 pm

I feel like this analysis kicks off with the wrong context.

It's not that Jaco was an existing character and he was given his own volume centered around him specifically (and furthermore, was therefore given a volume somehow at the expense of another character... say, Bardock).

Jaco the Galactic Patrolman was released over the course of a few months in 2013. It happened to be after Battle of Gods, but it was in production well before that movie's production began. Jaco didn't exist anywhere else. He had never debuted before. He was completely new. Resurrection 'F', the character's first animated appearance, wouldn't come out for another two years.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:11 pm

I really enjoyed the Jaco manga. I read it before RoF came out. I would like for them to make Jaco's manga free online so everyone can enjoy his character's origins. (Since I know not everyone will buy it) It's a great little story that deserves more publicity.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:25 pm

He did enough damage to Bardock with one chapter.

In terms of the Saiyans' history, he had a great opportunity to bring it up in RF alongside Freeza's history but that would've taken time that he and Toei don't want to spend on the franchise so it didn't happen.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:10 pm

SaiyaMel wrote:I guess that this subject has been brought up before...

I'm kinda disappointed to learn that a character the likes of Jaco has his own manga series (several pages?), yet Bardock doesn't - only a little snippet showing him and Gine sending off young Kakarot. Okay, there is that spinnoff showing Bardock way back in distant past on Planet Plant... I personally think it would be great if Toriyama reveals a lot more of the Saiyans and Planet Vegeta than he has already. What I've wanted for years.

Hopefully down the road in DBS, Vegeta (and probably Goku too) will go with Cabba to Planet Sadla like he mentions - that should be interesting. Love to see more of the U6 Saiyans.
Jaco's volume isn't presented as a Dragon Ball spin-off, though. It's a unique series/character that Toriyama wanted to work with, which wound up being connected to Dragon Ball in its final chapter. As VegettoEX mentioned, his appearance in Resurrection "F" came well after his manga ended, and came as something of a surprise.

Think of his appearances in the series as akin to Arale's -- it's a separate Toriyama character, albeit one who exists in Dragon World rather than a separate fictional universe.

Also, anyone who hasn't read Jaco and likes Toriyama's style should do so. It's really wonderful.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:20 pm

I personally think the Saiyans have had enough of the spotlight in terms of lore, and I'm actually glad Toriyama was willing to provide a Dragon Ball story from the context of another original character. Jaco was a really fun read, even though it was just 10 chapters long.

In Brightest Day
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by In Brightest Day » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:32 pm

There are at least half a dozen spin-off stories I could list off the top of my head that I'd like to see before another Bardock story. Jaco receiving focus is pretty inoffensive.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:49 pm

sintzu wrote:He did enough damage to Bardock with one chapter.
Can you really say that? You could say Minus is the true Bardock because Toriyama wrote so it's like, this is the real Bardock.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:10 pm

I bought the Jaco Manga volume the very moment I realized it had been translated and released by Viz, which was coincidentally, not long before Resurrection F came out in theaters in North America. I went and saw the movie with a couple of friends, and they asked me who Jaco was. I was able to explain a bit about him, because I had just recently acquired and read that manga volume. I loved how it was its own story, but that it tied into Dragonball. It expanded the dragon world story in a new and unique way.

The chapter involving Bardock was so-so, and while the response has been mostly negative, I didn't outright hate it. Everyone asked about Goku's mother for as long as the series has been around, so I just took it as his way of introducing her. The contradictions with the established continuity was a little jarring, but it isn't difficult to overlook it and accept it as a fun addition at the end of the volume. Overall, I really enjoyed Jaco, and like the addition of him as a recurring character in the Dragonball Super series.
"Of" =/= "Have"

Contractions:
-Should have = Should've
-Could have = Could've
-Would have = Would've

The heck does "should of" even mean anyway? Think about what those two words mean individually, and then try to read them back to back in a sentence and make sense of it. Are you forming a prepositional phrase, is "should" a part of a larger grouping, or are you just typing random words based on how you think you hear them used verbally? Perhaps take a moment to contemplate this, and see if it becomes as mind jarring for you to look at as it does for me..

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:05 am

Captain Strawberry wrote:You could say Minus is the true Bardock because Toriyama wrote so it's like, this is the real Bardock.
Bardock had been an established character for nearly a quarter century by the time Minus was released so to say that he's the real one just because Toriyama wrote him is insulting to the people who created him and the character himself.

Like Freeza, if that was the best thing he could do with him then he shouldn't have bothered bringing him back at all.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:12 am

sintzu wrote:
Captain Strawberry wrote:You could say Minus is the true Bardock because Toriyama wrote so it's like, this is the real Bardock.
Bardock had been an established character for nearly a quarter century by the time Minus was released so to say that he's the real one just because Toriyama wrote him is insulting to the people who created him and the character himself.

Like Freeza, if that was the best thing he could do with him then he shouldn't have bothered bringing him back at all.
But the Bardock special was just a special, we got to see Goku's mom and how his 'parents' thought of him.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:03 am

I just now thought of this. Would anybody want a direct to video movie on the Jaco manga or a couple OVA's? Because 11 manga chapters for a TV show. Unless they let Toei start with the manga then tell their own stories written by Tieu Animation. Personally, I would want about 2 (maybe 3) Jaco the Galatic Patrolman OVA's based of the manga with barely no fillers and a few minuets for Dragon Ball -

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:52 am

Captain Strawberry wrote:
But the Bardock special was just a special.

we got to see Goku's mom and how his 'parents' thought of him.
It doesn't matter, it was a beloved established peace of lore for nearly 25 years that didn't need any changing (Minus) or continuing (EOB) plus minus was shorter than the special.

We already saw what Bardock thought of him so instead of changing Bardock's characer for no good reason, the entire chapter should've focused on his mom.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:42 pm

sintzu wrote:
Captain Strawberry wrote:
But the Bardock special was just a special.

we got to see Goku's mom and how his 'parents' thought of him.
It doesn't matter, it was a beloved established peace of lore for nearly 25 years that didn't need any changing (Minus) or continuing (EOB) plus minus was shorter than the special.

We already saw what Bardock thought of him so instead of changing Bardock's characer for no good reason, the entire chapter should've focused on his mom.
So we shouldn't have gotten any new Star Wars movies because they shit all over nearly 40 years of established content in the Star Wars franchise?

Actually, I'm okay with that. Bring back the EU.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:44 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:So we shouldn't have gotten any new Star Wars movies because they shit all over nearly 40 years of established content in the Star Wars franchise ?
I've never seen, played or read anything Star Wars so I can't tell you.

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:13 am

simtek34 wrote:I just now thought of this. Would anybody want a direct to video movie on the Jaco manga or a couple OVA's? Because 11 manga chapters for a TV show. Unless they let Toei start with the manga then tell their own stories written by Tieu Animation. Personally, I would want about 2 (maybe 3) Jaco the Galatic Patrolman OVA's based of the manga with barely no fillers and a few minuets for Dragon Ball -
I thought the best time to do this would have been in the buildup to the ROF arc in Super. or before the Universe 6 tournament.

Seeing the moment Jaco and Tights are hiding from the police on the building only for him to pose and give away his position would be so great to see animated. Plus I'd love to hear the rocket go song.

His Japanese VA seems perfect.