The new arc will (may?) settle an old debate: Tenshinhan vs. Kuririn

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dragonball0900
Advanced Regular

Re: The new Arc will settle an age old debate. Tien vs Krilin

Post by dragonball0900 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:34 pm

Akyon wrote:
dragonball0900 wrote:Have to agree with lord turbo here. Nappa went against Tien first instead of Krillin. Put in on this way:

Imagine Nappa didn't go against Tien, and instead he goes against Krillin. He could've broken his arm as well. In the original fight, Nappa wanted to kill Tien first, while Krillin, Piccolo and Gohan were just there watching the fight. Also, Krillin's attacks against Nappa was because Nappa was caught off guard. Imagine putting Tien in Krillin's place, Tien would've done the same thing Krillin did if Nappa decided to kill Krillin first instead of Tien.
Broken his arm is an amusingly cute underplay of what happened. I kinda like that. "You just wait til my arm heals!"

The two strongest humans fight completely differently; Krillin uses hit and run tactics and is a combat pragmatist who tends to fight tactically whilst Tien is more of a proud honour before reason martial artist type of guy. Tien tried to tank it because that's a Tien thing to do, but it's not a Krillin thing to do.
If Nappa went after Krillin first...well Krillin never would have tried to block Nappa's strike to begin with so the outcome would have been different straight away. Nappa does take a swing at Krillin later in the fight, and he dodges that. Remember when Vegeta comments on how Krillin "Can move at least"? That's due to his style. Nappa wouldn't hit with punches and kicks. Ki blasts that affect a larger range making it less easy to dodge? That'll work.

Yup, I'm aware that didn't add anything constructive to the debate but it's no worse off for comparing their fighting styles. Might be worth talking about for comparison's sake?
Oh yeah, I agree with you here. When it's about tactics, Krillin is better than Tien. What I try to say is an hypotethical situation where Krillin doesn't run away and gets his arm cut, while Tien would be the one who is watching alongside Piccolo and Gohan, he goes to help but gets blasted by Nappa (just like how he did to Krillin in the original series).

Shinda Forever
Temporarily Banned

Post by Shinda Forever » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:47 am

After the latest press release the debate was closed again. They were presented as the 10 strongest fighters on universe 7 and Kuririn is the strongest earthling, therefore, game over. Yeah and that means that Roshi is stronger than Yamcha as well.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:33 am

Shinda Forever wrote:After the latest press release the debate was closed again. They were presented as the 10 strongest fighters on universe 7 and Kuririn is the strongest earthling, therefore, game over. Yeah and that means that Roshi is stronger than Yamcha as well.
10 strongest fighters is bullshit when Trunks and Goten exist.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Shinda Forever
Temporarily Banned

Post by Shinda Forever » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:18 am

And yet they claim these 10 are the strongest what would mean that Yamcha is weaker than Roshi. :crazy:

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:32 am

I see a general statement regarding the tournament itself featuring the "strongest warriors" from all 12 universes, but I don't see a specific statement saying "these are the top ten strongest fighters from Universe 10." Nothing to fuss over.

Either way, looks like Kuririn's still holding on to his title. Gotta love it.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:12 pm

Kaboom wrote:I see a general statement regarding the tournament itself featuring the "strongest warriors" from all 12 universes, but I don't see a specific statement saying "these are the top ten strongest fighters from Universe 10." Nothing to fuss over.

The final paragraph.
These members who have clashed their power and skills together can truly be said to be the strongest 10 people on Earth now. It seems that Goku plans on improving his ki power and stamina by training with Kuririn in preparation to fight the strong opponents ahead. We're looking forward to Goku's further evolution.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:33 pm

It was never a debate. This was stated by Yamcha, when Krillin fought in 25th Tenkaichi Budokai during the Buu arc.
Since then it's often used in Krillin's character biography, and it just happened again with the Super new arc.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:35 pm

Darkprince410 wrote:
Kaboom wrote:I see a general statement regarding the tournament itself featuring the "strongest warriors" from all 12 universes, but I don't see a specific statement saying "these are the top ten strongest fighters from Universe 10." Nothing to fuss over.

The final paragraph.
These members who have clashed their power and skills together can truly be said to be the strongest 10 people on Earth now. It seems that Goku plans on improving his ki power and stamina by training with Kuririn in preparation to fight the strong opponents ahead. We're looking forward to Goku's further evolution.
Do we know who all ten fighters are? I haven't really been following this stuff.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:41 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:Do we know who all ten fighters are? I haven't really been following this stuff.
Presumably the ten in the key visual that's been revealed (and is a part of this promotional splash from Animedia, which I feel the need to clarify is not a press release): Boo, Kuririn, #18, #17, Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Kame-Sen'nin, Tenshinhan, Piccolo.

I hate to bring this up, especially since everyone seems to want to just have the same circular conversation with the same points over and over...

But if we look at the U6 vs. U7 tournament... uhh... Boo didn't actually end up fighting in it. He was disqualified. Maybe... uhh... like... Kame-Sen'nin gets swapped out later on...?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:46 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:Do we know who all ten fighters are? I haven't really been following this stuff.
Presumably the ten in the key visual that's been revealed (and is a part of this promotional splash from Animedia, which I feel the need to clarify is not a press release): Boo, Kuririn, #18, #17, Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Kame-Sen'nin, Tenshinhan, Piccolo.

I hate to bring this up, especially since everyone seems to want to just have the same circular conversation with the same points over and over...

But if we look at the U6 vs. U7 tournament... uhh... Boo didn't actually end up fighting in it. He was disqualified. Maybe... uhh... like... Kame-Sen'nin gets swapped out later on...?
In that case, the statement that Kaboom mentioned is clearly just there for flavor, since Beerus and Whis aren't included.
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).

JulianStyles
Banned

Post by JulianStyles » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:02 pm

New synopsis is just the same statement that doesn't apply to non pure humans. 17 and 18 are Earthlings we know it doesn't apply to them.

Krillin was grouped in with Roshi. Piccolo and Tien were mentioned together. 17 and 18 together. There's a reason for this.

JulianStyles
Banned

Post by JulianStyles » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:09 pm

Shinda Forever wrote:After the latest press release the debate was closed again. They were presented as the 10 strongest fighters on universe 7 and Kuririn is the strongest earthling, therefore, game over. Yeah and that means that Roshi is stronger than Yamcha as well.
Again the statement doesn't apply to Tien. If it doesn't apply to 17 and 18 then it doesn't apply to Tien. Look how they grouped them. Krillin was grouped with Roshi. Then Piccolo and Tien grouped together. Then 17 and 18.

The proof will come in the fights. NOT a sentence you pick and choose who's apart of it.

Someone please explain how 17 and 18 are not Earthling? Parents human. Born human. Still give birth to humans. DBZ has established there's monster type, animal type, human type, mixed races type. So Krillin stronger than all Earthlings?

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:23 pm

JulianStyles wrote:New synopsis is just the same statement that doesn't apply to non pure humans. 17 and 18 are Earthlings we know it doesn't apply to them.

Krillin was grouped in with Roshi. Piccolo and Tien were mentioned together. 17 and 18 together. There's a reason for this.
They were grouped thematically. Goku's "family" (his son, best friend, and master), then his enemies/rivals turned allies (Tenshinhan, Piccolo, Vegeta and Buu) which the article itself represented his "fighting history", and then #17 and #18 tacked on for good measure at the end.

Saying that Piccolo and Tenshinhan were being grouped together for any reason other than that they were rivals turned allies would be like saying that Gohan and Kuririn being grouped together is for some reason other than them being "family".
Someone please explain how 17 and 18 are not Earthling? Parents human. Born human. Still give birth to humans. DBZ has established there's monster type, animal type, human type, mixed races type. So Krillin stronger than all Earthlings?
Because, within the Daizenshuu, they're stated as such. #17's history from Daizenshuu 7, for example, clearly states "used to be human", as in "not human anymore". The same sources that classify Tenshinhan as being of extreme alien descent still classify him as human/Earthling in the same category as Kuririn.

JulianStyles
Banned

Post by JulianStyles » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:59 pm

Darkprince410 wrote:
JulianStyles wrote:New synopsis is just the same statement that doesn't apply to non pure humans. 17 and 18 are Earthlings we know it doesn't apply to them.

They were grouped thematically. Goku's "family" (his son, best friend, and master), then his enemies/rivals turned allies (Tenshinhan, Piccolo, Vegeta and Buu) which the article itself represented his "fighting history", and then #17 and #18 tacked on for good measure at the end.

Saying that Piccolo and Tenshinhan were being grouped together for any reason other than that they were rivals turned allies would be like saying that Gohan and Kuririn being grouped together is for some reason other than them being "family".
Because, within the Daizenshuu, they're stated as such. #17's history from Daizenshuu 7, for example, clearly states "used to be human", as in "not human anymore". The same sources that classify Tenshinhan as being of extreme alien descent still classify him as human/Earthling in the same category as Kuririn.
Daizenshuu also mentions Gohan and Piccolo in as Earthlings to. http://magikarp46.com/dragonball/guideb ... ldview.php

Also 17 and 18 were revised recently with Toriyama revelations about them. You also can't have a human child if you're not human. Which 18 does.

JulianStyles
Banned

Post by JulianStyles » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:02 pm

I'm glad this happened. Because people were beginning to say. If the tournament proves Tien is stronger doesn't mean he always was. Krillin again has that statement. If Tien is proven stronger it means he wasn't included in that statement and always has been.

Remember ROF Krillins bio said the same thing. Tienshinhan still out performed him drastically in the movie and series.

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:37 pm

JulianStyles wrote: Remember ROF Krillins bio said the same thing. Tienshinhan still out performed him drastically in the movie and series.
NOTE: Talking about Super's Anime version here.

If by "outperformed drastically" you mean that he needed to use the life risking Kikoho to keep Freeza's second rate hodge podge of soldiers at bay, then yes, he did outperform Kuririn.

Because really, it's not like Kuririn was able to easily defeat several soldiers with a single Ki blast after he regained his confidence (I think that technique is most well known as the "Scatter Shot").

No, Tenshinhan did not "outperform Krillin drastically", it's just because you believe that he should, that you feel he did so.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:39 pm

JulianStyles wrote:
Daizenshuu also mentions Gohan and Piccolo in as Earthlings to. http://magikarp46.com/dragonball/guideb ... ldview.php

Also 17 and 18 were revised recently with Toriyama revelations about them. You also can't have a human child if you're not human. Which 18 does.
Even there, it still distinguishes them from being considered regular humans. Gohan's indicated to be a hybrid, and Piccolo was "naturalized", while still marking him

With Tenshinhan, despite his alien ancestry, he's always still classified as a human/Earthling. Not a hybrid. Not "naturalized". Just an Earthling. Gohan and the other hybrids are specified as being hybrids, and Piccolo and the others, while "Earthlings", are still stated to be naturalized.

And no, he's not revised them in any way that changes the stance on them. We've always known that they were humans changed into cyborgs. We've known since the Buu arc that #18 was able to produce children. It doesn't change that they're still cyborgs rather than humans/Earthlings in the sense that Kuririn and Tenshinhan are both labeled as.
JulianStyles wrote:I'm glad this happened. Because people were beginning to say. If the tournament proves Tien is stronger doesn't mean he always was. Krillin again has that statement. If Tien is proven stronger it means he wasn't included in that statement and always has been.

Remember ROF Krillins bio said the same thing. Tienshinhan still out performed in drastically in the movie and series.
Against enemies they were intentionally holding back on to avoid killing, that's not saying much. Freeza specifically stated that his army was trash in comparison to how they used to be, and Kuririn was leaps and bounds stronger than the grunt soldiers Freeza had back in the day, especially after his potential unlock.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:14 pm

JulianStyles wrote:Daizenshuu also mentions Gohan and Piccolo in as Earthlings to. http://magikarp46.com/dragonball/guideb ... ldview.php
Where, exactly, does that page say this? I've been searching for both "Gohan" and "Piccolo" in the text and not seeing it.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:16 pm

Kaboom wrote:
JulianStyles wrote:Daizenshuu also mentions Gohan and Piccolo in as Earthlings to. http://magikarp46.com/dragonball/guideb ... ldview.php
Where, exactly, does that page say this? I've been searching for both "Gohan" and "Piccolo" in the text and not seeing it.
The only thing I saw concerning Piccolo and Earth was this:
Namekkians, including Piccolo, are a race with an extremely powerful life force in comparison to Earthlings.
Which points out pretty clearly that Piccolo is a "Namekkian," and that "Namekkians" are not Earthlings.
Malik_DBNA wrote: