Why does Vegito looks only like Goku ?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DSB
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Why does Vegito looks only like Goku ?

Post by DSB » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:35 pm

I fail to see any physical features of Vegeta in Vegito other than the hair .

The face is almost Goku .

What's up with that ?

emperior
I Live Here

Re: Why does Vegito looks only like Goku ?

Post by emperior » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:50 pm

He has Vegeta's outlined eyes in base form.
In fact in DBZ he looked more like Vegeta, but he looks like Goku in facial expressions and the fact he wears a Dogi and has the bangs.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:53 pm

In the manga I think Toriyama balanced Vegetto's facial structure/features better than he appears in the anime. It's Vegeta's face, but Gokû's jawline. Vegeta's head is more heart shaped, Gokû and Vegetto's are more oval.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:18 pm

I'm not going to lie to you -- I don't get it.

How does any one character look like someone else but not another?

For example, look at Goku, adult Gohan, Yamucha (hey, why not?), Vegeta, and adult Trunks. All of their faces are outlined the same way -- in fact, everyone's face is outlined the same way (except for the rare character that has a big chin or cheekbones). Their noses are drawn exactly the same way. The outline and shape of their eyes are drawn the exact same way. Their eyebrows are drawn the exact same way. For the majority of characters, the only way to tell them apart is their hair shape and possibly eye color, etc. So how does Vegetto resemble Goku more than Vegeta when their facial features are drawn to be exactly the same? Besides hair, the only thing that differentiates Goku from Vegeta is that Vegeta's eyebrows come down more as he always looks angry. That's the only difference between their smiles (Goku usually has more raised eyebrows so his smile looks more friendly than Vegeta's). Otherwise, they look the same.

Or am I missing something here? Because I spent my entire life knowing that you can draw them exactly the same way save for clothing, hair, and the positioning of the eyebrows. Yes, Goku's eyes are not fully outlined when he's base, but we're not even considering that here, as Vegetto's eyes were always fully outlined.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:53 pm

Why does Kibito Kais face look more like Shin's then Kibitos?

Why does Merged Zamasu's face look more like Zamasu then Goku Black?

The in universe explanation is probably that the body looks more like the person with the dominant features. Out of universe explanation is that it probably hard for them to combine 2 faces in a drawing.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:56 pm

I mean, if we were talking about more realistic characters, I could see your point. But as TheGreatness said, it's not like there's a whole lot of differentiating features between the characters. If Yamcha didn't have a scar, he'd basically be Buu arc Gohan. In fact, I'm instantly reminded of the Budokai 2 intro; the scene where everyone is raising their hands to gather energy for the Genkidama. There's two scenes, side-by-side. The first one is Piccolo, Goten, Trunks, and... Goh- wait, Yamcha? No... it must be Gohan, because in the scene immediately following, you clearly see Yamcha with his scar and Pu'erh next to him ( https://i.imgur.com/eFBlm9Vg.png ). It's like they couldn't decide which one they wanted to draw in the first scene. Point is it's easy to blur the lines on a character's appearance.

I think they did a good job with the limitations they had in balancing the cross between the two. The clothes and hairline are more Goku, yet you have the personality, hair, gloves/boots, face and voice of Vegeta. Whereas Gogeta has SSJ Goku's face/hair, and Vegeta's hairline.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

RedShift
Beyond Newbie

Post by RedShift » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:58 pm

My understanding/interpretation of the Potara fusion is that it takes the best parts of each fused individual and melds them together. Whereas the Metamorian Fusion Dance was literally a 50/50 split. Goku's physical characteristics are more 'ideal' than Vegeta's shorter and thinner stature, so that's why it's almost entirely Goku's body.

Vegito has Goku's facial size & shape, but his eyes are morso Vegeta. Though in certain lighthearted scenes his expressions look much more Goku. In serious scenes I see more of Vegeta... Only less scowling.

His hair is the obvious balance between Goku & Vegeta. It has primarily Vegeta's spikey shape, some of Goku's bangs, and a much less receded hairline.

So, while Vegito looks much more so like Goku than Vegeta overall, that makes sense given my interpretation of it. In the face & hair Vegito looks like a balance between both of them, and that's where it counts.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:19 pm

Because Toriyama could only draw a set number of faces.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

They basically have the same face

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:49 am

DHM211 wrote:Why does Kibito Kais face look more like Shin's then Kibitos?

Why does Merged Zamasu's face look more like Zamasu then Goku Black?

The in universe explanation is probably that the body looks more like the person with the dominant features. Out of universe explanation is that it probably hard for them to combine 2 faces in a drawing.
Thing is, Goku and Vegeta are rivals and close in power, so no one is dominant in that fusion. Unlike what some people are trying to imply. Vegetto is a perfect blend, both in appearance and in personality.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:42 am

But Goku and Vegeta are not close in power. At all. When I think of someone saying that two characters are close in power, I consider their maximum power. Goku's maximum power is Super Saiyan 3 at this point, Vegeta's is Super Saiyan 2. I feel like fans look at it as, "Well their base power is close," but that's not how I look at it. Base is them holding back. If they were to truly unleash, they'd respectively power up to SS2 and SS3. Comparing their base power is like comparing them when they're holding back. At least that's how I see it.

DSB
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DSB » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:42 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:But Goku and Vegeta are not close in power. At all. When I think of someone saying that two characters are close in power, I consider their maximum power. Goku's maximum power is Super Saiyan 3 at this point, Vegeta's is Super Saiyan 2. I feel like fans look at it as, "Well their base power is close," but that's not how I look at it. Base is them holding back. If they were to truly unleash, they'd respectively power up to SS2 and SS3. Comparing their base power is like comparing them when they're holding back. At least that's how I see it.
Your logic falls apart in case of Merged Zamasu . Goku Black at base was stronger than Immortal zamasu . Let alone Rose

Yet Merged Zamasu looked AND sounded like Zamasu mostly .

Vegito has both Vegeta and Goku's voice . But the only other things that come from Vegeta is the Arrogance , some of the hair and the gloves and boots

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:24 am

DSB wrote:
TheGreatness25 wrote:But Goku and Vegeta are not close in power. At all. When I think of someone saying that two characters are close in power, I consider their maximum power. Goku's maximum power is Super Saiyan 3 at this point, Vegeta's is Super Saiyan 2. I feel like fans look at it as, "Well their base power is close," but that's not how I look at it. Base is them holding back. If they were to truly unleash, they'd respectively power up to SS2 and SS3. Comparing their base power is like comparing them when they're holding back. At least that's how I see it.
Your logic falls apart in case of Merged Zamasu . Goku Black at base was stronger than Immortal zamasu . Let alone Rose

Yet Merged Zamasu looked AND sounded like Zamasu mostly .

Vegito has both Vegeta and Goku's voice . But the only other things that come from Vegeta is the Arrogance , some of the hair and the gloves and boots
How does my logic fall apart? I was not saying that Goku being more powerful than Vegeta had anything to do with Goku getting the dominant traits. I haven't said anything about dominant traits other than questioning why someone would think that Vegetto looks more like Goku than Vegeta. In fact, I stated that because Goku and Vegeta have basically the same design (except for hair and facial expression), that you can't really say that it looks more like Goku. The only thing that makes Vegetto look more like Goku than Vegeta is the fact that he's wearing a gi and his hairline is Goku's. His hair (besides the hairline) is actually more Vegeta's.

I never said anything about the characters' power determining who has the dominant features. I was merely saying that Goku and Vegeta were nowhere near equal in power; that's what my post was about.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:23 pm

I find that most or all of the fusions balance design and personality traits pretty well from the two source characters. Zamasu may be a slight exception (definitely in terms of voice), but it makes sense that he would favor his original form slightly, given the origin of Black.