Did Yamcha cheat on Bulma?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Did Yamcha cheat on Bulma?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:39 pm

Oh OK! Then I understand and apologize for any rude attitude from my part.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:48 pm

ImperialWrath wrote: No I didn't miss it, and my point still stands. Gog simply wanted to take some quote and run with it, while ignoring any other context or aspect of the series' creator or the character. The fact is that when you're dealing with a guy like Toriyama, who has a well-documented history of contradicting himself on numerous occasions, it's probably not the best idea to take everything he says as gospel.
I really didn't want to just take some quote and run with it. I wanted hard factual proof on whenever or not Yamcha cheated on Bulma. So, please do stop putting words in my mouth. Even then the fact of the matter is, nothing in the series has ever actually contradicted Toriyama's statement on the matter, in fact in the series itself his statement on Yamcha cheating is actually supported, unfortunately. I do agree with Gaffer Tape and his excellent post on the matter.

ImperialWrath

Post by ImperialWrath » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:31 pm

Gog wrote:
ImperialWrath wrote: No I didn't miss it, and my point still stands. Gog simply wanted to take some quote and run with it, while ignoring any other context or aspect of the series' creator or the character. The fact is that when you're dealing with a guy like Toriyama, who has a well-documented history of contradicting himself on numerous occasions, it's probably not the best idea to take everything he says as gospel.
I really didn't want to just take some quote and run with it. I wanted hard factual proof on whenever or not Yamcha cheated on Bulma. So, please do stop putting words in my mouth. Even then the fact of the matter is, nothing in the series has ever actually contradicted Toriyama's statement on the matter, in fact in the series itself his statement on Yamcha cheating is actually supported, unfortunately. I do agree with Gaffer Tape and his excellent post on the matter.
It seemed that you had, given that you're still labeling the Trunks quote as hard, factual proof. The fact that you continued trying to shut down all conversation on the matter makes that even more apparent, so no one's really putting words in your mouth. As for your comment on Toriyama's statement never being contradicted, this couldn't be further from the truth, and most people have pointed this out, but I'll try to break it down for you:

1) Yamcha is NEVER shown in either the manga or anime so much as flirting with other women. In fact, the only time this is ever remotely implied in the anime is during filler episodes. Bulma does make some vague comment about not forgiving him for something he did, but as others have pointed out she was well-known for making mountains out of mole-hills, so to speak.
2) One of the most prominent aspects of Yamcha's character was his desire to get married. In fact, he had more desire to settle down than either Goku or Kuririn, both characters who somehow managed to get married and have families before him? How is that NOT contradictory?
3) Another prominent aspect of Yamcha's character is his chronic nervousness around women. Not only has this been a recurring gag throughout the series, but Toriyama even took the liberty of confirming that himself when he mentioned that Yamcha once worked at, and was fired from, a host club because of his reaction women not named Bulma. That by itself would make extremely difficult to believe this same guy would somehow manage to hook up with another woman, or even get close enough to one to be placed in a compromising position.

All of these are things that are featured throughout practically all of DB and at least half of DBZ, and have been backed up and/or verified by Toriyama himself. So to say nothing in the series has ever actually contradicted Toriyama's statement or that the series actually supports said statement, is patently false.

Dragonballgod19
Banned

Post by Dragonballgod19 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:55 am

Honestly yamcha x bulma was a bad couple literally broke up tons of times and they barely had anything in common if they did end up together then everyone really would have been screwed because trunks wouldn't exist and future trunks time line would have been screwed same with the current timeline now if anything them breaking up was a good thing and vegeta x bulma getting together was even better but toriyama still could have just given yamcha a new gf like tights

ImperialWrath

Post by ImperialWrath » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:48 am

Dragonballgod19 wrote:Honestly yamcha x bulma was a bad couple literally broke up tons of times and they barely had anything in common if they did end up together then everyone really would have been screwed because trunks wouldn't exist and future trunks time line would have been screwed same with the current timeline now if anything them breaking up was a good thing and vegeta x bulma getting together was even better but toriyama still could have just given yamcha a new gf like tights
Well I have an issue with that first part, because it's only stated that they were off and on, but we rarely ever saw them fight on screen. Most of the time, when we saw them together in the manga, they seemed to get along just fine. I find it odd that it was stated they broke up tons of times, yet we literally never saw an instance in either DB or DBZ when they weren't together, except of course for when Yamcha was dead and after their relationship ended for good. As for them barely having anything in common, again, I have to question the logic in that statement. After all, they were together for YEARS. We're talking about a decade here easily, you don't just dedicate that amount of time to someone who you barely have anything in common with. And honestly, what did Bulma and Vegeta ever have in common with each other? Not only is Vegeta a solitary person who doesn't care to mingle with other people, and only focuses solely on training, but he's also got a history of being a homicidal killer who has literally committed genocide of entire planets of people. He's also not the type that's gonna go out and earn money to help support his family, he pretty much just lives off of Bulma and her family's wealth. What could Bulma have possibly have, or ever have had, in common with someone like that?

As for the point of Future Trunks, well it's not like Trunks was the only person who could've operated the time machine to go back in time. Literally anyone with a set of instructions could've back to worn them. Plus, we know from Future Trunks that Goku would've shown up and taken out both Freeza and King Cold anyway, so again it's not like that was necessary for Trunks to be there for that either. Having him show up to take out Freeza and King Cold only served to make Trunks look like a bad ass, that's pretty much it.

But I do agree it is extremely irritating that Toriyama had Trunks reveal that Yamcha eventually gets with someone else, only to never bothering even have that person make a single appearance. Let alone the fact he recently said in an interview when the person asked him about Yamcha and if he would ever move on from Bulma, that Yamcha was pretty much just gonna wind up being the series' version of the "Forever Alone" meme.