Did Yamcha cheat on Bulma?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Did Yamcha cheat on Bulma?

Post by nickzambuto » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:29 pm

LuckyCat wrote:
nickzambuto wrote:Yeah, Bulma and Yamcha didn't get along well in the manga. Every instance of this being brought up was a joke at Bulma's expense, implying she was a jealous and petty biotch. I never said they didn't have relationship problems. I said that the idea that Yamcha was the cheater is out of character given all of his actions.
Again, you're ignoring Yamcha's unfaithful actions written into the manga just because they came at a later time. This would be like me saying Vegeta settling down on Earth is totally out of character because he's a bloodthirsty warrior who's primarily interested in Earth as part of his quest for universal domination.
But Yamcha cheating on Bulma is not character development. Vegeta's change happened gradually and his story showed several experiences that led to his personality shift. Yamcha cheating on Bulma however came from nowhere and contradicted his previous characterization as a noble, loyal, romantic, fierce martial artist. Unless you can think of even a single moment where Yamcha's apparent lecherous nature was shown or at least foreshadowed?

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:31 pm

Guys Gaffer Tape cleared this up for me, you don't need to comment here.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:31 pm

Toriyama also stated that Yamcha never lost his fear of women (and lost his host job because of it) so I don't see how that crippling shyness would even allow for him to conduct an affair on like a practical/logistical level....

Clearly Bulma was going to be in the series more than Yamcha as of the Cell arc, so they had Yamcha be the bad guy instead of her...

Yamcha seemed an honourable dude, back in DB he was willing to die to go in after Goku when he attacked RRA HQ and again with Piccolo snr. While having a broken leg... I don't see him cheating on his only long term partner he's ever had. In the Cell saga he wanted to use his wish to buy his current partner a gift, just seems a nice dude.

I can only assume Bulma was lying or considered him banging someone else while they were on a break tantamount to cheating.

Maybe he cheated in the future but not the present timeline....

It makes no sense, right after Trunks says Bulma claimed he cheated he (Yamcha) suggests joking-but-not-really that they get married.

Then he seems upset about the whole breakup when they ask if Trunks is Yamcha's kid... So it's like even Toriyama contradicted it/left it ambiguous/lampshaded how dumb it was.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:35 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Sigh. This is a thread where the creator is asking for a solid factual statement on the issue, which has already been answered, not speculation on whether or not such authorial facts make sense.
That was a great post, but what does this mean? Are you saying that I am wrong for debating that Yamcha's new characterization as a cheater makes no sense? I never denied that it was canon, all I said was that it's out of character. You're sounding like some kind of elitist. It isn't off topic, so why can't I expand the discussion now that the original question has been answered? But then you went and argued the exact same things as me anyway? Even though you're pointing out that the thread creator asked only for facts and not speculation on whether it makes sense or not?

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:00 pm

nickzambuto wrote:Unless you can think of even a single moment where Yamcha's apparent lecherous nature was shown or at least foreshadowed?
In the Saiyan saga, like I mentioned before. The implication is there in Bulma's response to Krillin.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:23 pm

Guys, guys, Gaffer tape cleared all of this up for me.

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:33 pm

LuckyCat wrote:
nickzambuto wrote:Unless you can think of even a single moment where Yamcha's apparent lecherous nature was shown or at least foreshadowed?
In the Saiyan saga, like I mentioned before. The implication is there in Bulma's response to Krillin.
And here I thought the whole joke was that Bulma was overreacting like she always does.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:23 am

nickzambuto wrote:That was a great post, but what does this mean? Are you saying that I am wrong for debating that Yamcha's new characterization as a cheater makes no sense? I never denied that it was canon, all I said was that it's out of character. You're sounding like some kind of elitist. It isn't off topic, so why can't I expand the discussion now that the original question has been answered? But then you went and argued the exact same things as me anyway? Even though you're pointing out that the thread creator asked only for facts and not speculation on whether it makes sense or not?
:( For the love of dog, I just cannot seem to win on this forum lately. It doesn't matter what I say, someone is going to think I'm coming after them when I'm not. Is it me? Am I doing something wrong? Have I been accidentally putting on Eau de Douche cologne lately and not realizing it? I'd like to think I come across as a pretty nice guy, and it's always my intention to do so. Simply due to my stance against the DBZ dub, being called an elitist is certainly something I'm used to, but I'm puzzled how the term possibly applies here. At any rate, no, I was not talking about you specifically. You are right in that I was saying that it seemed the original thread author seemed to only be asking for factual evidence, not discussion, and yet one seemed to open up anyway. And it's because that discussion opened up that I felt compelled to contribute. But, yeah, I did want to acknowledge that *I* felt wrong for contributing to this thread, even as I was doing so. And in making that recognition of my potential hypocrisy open to the masses, I hoped that maybe the original poster would overlook it in this case. So I was calling myself out. Not you. Me. Because, honestly, I agreed with everything you'd said in this thread and wanted to join up on your side.

Anyway, I apologize to all the people I've inadvertently offended over the past few months.
LuckyCat wrote:It doesn't have to be character assassination, though. What if Yamcha cheated because he was in an unhealthy relationship, and he thought acting out was the only way to get the domineering Bulma's attention? What I dislike is the notion that Yamcha cheating on Bulma totally destroys any contributions he has to the story. I mean, I don't think Captain Kirk could maintain a monogamous relationship to save his life, but he's still Star Trek's original protagonist. Kirk's a lovable rogue. You can have a character with flaws, without the flaws overtaking or ruining the character.
It's character assassination because, as has been said elsewhere in this thread, it only exists to make Yamucha the bad guy, so that people will more easily accept the completely unexpected pairing of Blooma and Vegeta. Again, something like what you describe there would make a great story... but that's not the direction the story took. And, yes, Kirk has been shown to be with a lot of women, but never once was he shown or implied to have cheated on any of them. There is a stark difference between being in a lot of relationships/liaison/flings/one-night-stands and betraying the trust of your partner.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:10 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:
nickzambuto wrote:That was a great post, but what does this mean? Are you saying that I am wrong for debating that Yamcha's new characterization as a cheater makes no sense? I never denied that it was canon, all I said was that it's out of character. You're sounding like some kind of elitist. It isn't off topic, so why can't I expand the discussion now that the original question has been answered? But then you went and argued the exact same things as me anyway? Even though you're pointing out that the thread creator asked only for facts and not speculation on whether it makes sense or not?
:( For the love of dog, I just cannot seem to win on this forum lately. It doesn't matter what I say, someone is going to think I'm coming after them when I'm not. Is it me? Am I doing something wrong? Have I been accidentally putting on Eau de Douche cologne lately and not realizing it? I'd like to think I come across as a pretty nice guy, and it's always my intention to do so. Simply due to my stance against the DBZ dub, being called an elitist is certainly something I'm used to, but I'm puzzled how the term possibly applies here. At any rate, no, I was not talking about you specifically. You are right in that I was saying that it seemed the original thread author seemed to only be asking for factual evidence, not discussion, and yet one seemed to open up anyway. And it's because that discussion opened up that I felt compelled to contribute. But, yeah, I did want to acknowledge that *I* felt wrong for contributing to this thread, even as I was doing so. And in making that recognition of my potential hypocrisy open to the masses, I hoped that maybe the original poster would overlook it in this case. So I was calling myself out. Not you. Me. Because, honestly, I agreed with everything you'd said in this thread and wanted to join up on your side.

Anyway, I apologize to all the people I've inadvertently offended over the past few months.
Lmao, understood. I'm sorry for overreacting in that case.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:46 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:It's character assassination because, as has been said elsewhere in this thread, it only exists to make Yamucha the bad guy, so that people will more easily accept the completely unexpected pairing of Blooma and Vegeta. Again, something like what you describe there would make a great story... but that's not the direction the story took. And, yes, Kirk has been shown to be with a lot of women, but never once was he shown or implied to have cheated on any of them. There is a stark difference between being in a lot of relationships/liaison/flings/one-night-stands and betraying the trust of your partner.
Okay, I see. Honestly, I agree that Toriyama more or less doesn't like Yamcha, or at least enjoys embarrassing him. I've heard theories such as Toriyama considering himself a geeky artist wanting to lash out at a pretty boy character like Yamcha, but I don't know how much weight that idea has.

I don't think Toriyama added the cheating thing just for BulmaXVegeta though, as he started implying that Yamcha and Bulma don't work well as an adult couple much sooner. It was probably in the back of Toriyama's head that he wanted Bulma with someone else, and Vegeta's popularity gave him the perfect opportunity.

Yet, I still like Yamcha, even Toriyama's take him. Yamcha is great because despite him being a tough guy with some honorable characteristics, he's still a human with human-like flaws.

Zeru14
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeru14 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:14 am

You know if Bulma can hook up with a Saiyan, maybe Yamcha can get together with female SSJ from the Universal Tournament, he'll actually beat out Krillin and Tien for having the strongest/angriest girlfriend/wife and he'll have hybrid children like Goku and Vegeta.

mabalia
Beyond Newbie

Post by mabalia » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:41 pm

I agree that's not in character for Yamcha to cheat, women still make him uncomfortable and his dream is to get married. There are so many motives for a relationship to end and cheating was the one chosen... Don't make sense to me.

I can understand Bulma and Yamcha breaking up, they weren't stable, both of them were really immatures. I still think Yamcha liked her more than she liked him. Bulma always had wandering eyes, first with Oolong transformed, then Yamcha, and even after she's in a relationship with Yamcha she's atracted to the idea of who could be Jack Chun (later revealed to be an old man that's Roshi), Blue (later she discovers he's gay), teen Goku, Zarbon, Goku again (and he's married). And she was so jealous of Yamcha. We just never saw Yamcha acting the same way.

Bulma only changes this behavior after she's in a relationship with Vegeta. And this a proof that her feelings for him are strong (She trying to seduce Zamasu in super was only a estrategy, she wasn't interested in him). She loves Vegeta and is a mature woman now, it's the explanation I have for her changing her previous behavior.

But what I like more is that Bulma and Yamcha remained friends for the rest of their lives, they still support each other.

I tried to answer considering in universe stuff, so I didn't take into account interviews and the necessity of a half sayan to the story.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:31 am

Honestly, I've just assumed that it was some girl coming on to him while he freaked out and was unable to stop her, and Bulma happened to see this and overreacted. Ergo "He is a cheater," because he didn't prevent the scene.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Zeru14
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeru14 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:27 am

The cheating thing Toriyama used was lame( and contradictory), and as others have said was just used to make Yamcha look bad, so Bulma hooking up with Vegeta of all people would be okay. The whole man are scumbags was more acceptable than Bulma started to fool around with the man living at her house, while her boyfriend was away. Yamcha fans would probably be less bitter, if Toriyama designed and wrote a new girlfriend/wife for him like he did with Krillin and Tien, but he clearly never gave a damn, and thought making Yamcha a constant loser at love was more entertaining.

mabalia
Beyond Newbie

Post by mabalia » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:10 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:Honestly, I've just assumed that it was some girl coming on to him while he freaked out and was unable to stop her, and Bulma happened to see this and overreacted. Ergo "He is a cheater," because he didn't prevent the scene.

Like Gohan and Cocoa? Yes, I can see it now. I'll adopt this headcanon too.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:25 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:Honestly, I've just assumed that it was some girl coming on to him while he freaked out and was unable to stop her, and Bulma happened to see this and overreacted. Ergo "He is a cheater," because he didn't prevent the scene.
That's one of the few scenarios (or the only one) that would be in character for both of them. :thumbup:

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:30 pm

Zeru14 wrote:The cheating thing Toriyama used was lame( and contradictory), and as others have said was just used to make Yamcha look bad, so Bulma hooking up with Vegeta of all people would be okay. The whole man are scumbags was more acceptable than Bulma started to fool around with the man living at her house, while her boyfriend was away. Yamcha fans would probably be less bitter, if Toriyama designed and wrote a new girlfriend/wife for him like he did with Krillin and Tien, but he clearly never gave a damn, and thought making Yamcha a constant loser at love was more entertaining.
To be fair, Tien doesn't have a girlfriend at the moment either. Launch doesn't seem to be with him anymore.

Zeru14
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeru14 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:01 am

According to Toriyama, Launch stills visits him on his farm on a regular basis. Kinda admire Chi-Chi and Launch for staying devoted to their first loves since they met them and we know Goku and Tien aren't most easiest to love, being the most non-romantic beings on the planet next to Piccolo a Namekian who's race doesn't do romance.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:59 am

I know its not kosher, but this thread has awesome posts that should be read by everyone and thus I bump.THIS. THREAD.

LOL Persona 3.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:14 am

Zeru14 wrote:You know if Bulma can hook up with a Saiyan, maybe Yamcha can get together with female SSJ from the Universal Tournament, he'll actually beat out Krillin and Tien for having the strongest/angriest girlfriend/wife and he'll have hybrid children like Goku and Vegeta.
Bitch, Yamcha x Vados is where it's at :lol: