Grandpa Gohan Afterlife

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LightBing
I Live Here

Grandpa Gohan Afterlife

Post by LightBing » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:11 pm

We know that Grandpa Gohan kept his body in the afterlife due to his appearance in Baba's tournament.
My question is what did he do to deserve such honour? As a follow up does this mean Goku could have met him after he died in the Cell Games?

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Grandpa Gohan Afterlife

Post by nickzambuto » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:14 am

He died protecting his planet from the berserk saiyan ape whose mission was to exterminate humanity.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:23 pm

He did good deeds though he wasn't pure of heart.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:37 am

DB standards for morality are pretty lax, so I can see the old man making it in.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:28 am

Didn't someone say only heroes who sacrificed themselves were allowed to keep their bodies? Or was that filler? I can't remember.
If we just go by good deeds there would be a lot of candidates alive right now. Imagine how many in all those billions years in a bunch of planets...
nickzambuto wrote:He died protecting his planet from the berserk saiyan ape whose mission was to exterminate humanity.
This thought passed through my mind. I could role with it.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:40 pm

LightBing wrote:Didn't someone say only heroes who sacrificed themselves were allowed to keep their bodies? Or was that filler? I can't remember.
If we just go by good deeds there would be a lot of candidates alive right now. Imagine how many in all those billions years in a bunch of planets...
nickzambuto wrote:He died protecting his planet from the berserk saiyan ape whose mission was to exterminate humanity.
This thought passed through my mind. I could role with it.
Yeah, we don't really know that much of what he has done before his death, or even the context surrounding Goku stomping him out. So for all we know he could have been a mighty fine hero throughout his life. All who know him seem to hold the man in pretty high regards so I wouldn't be surprised.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:57 pm

There could have been a number of things that he could have done before Goku came to Earth. Who knows, maybe he was the one to have defeated the Dictator.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:11 pm

He had connections (Roshi's sister).

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:35 am

LightBing wrote:Didn't someone say only heroes who sacrificed themselves were allowed to keep their bodies? Or was that filler? I can't remember.
I believe we only have Goku's account on that process.
Dragon Ball Chapter 417 wrote:Goku: "Hey, I'm not bein' a martyr! They're going to give me special treatment here 'cuz I saved the planet. Regular people and bad guys like Cell turn into spirits, but I get to keep my own body, I won't age any more..."
Goku: "...And I get to meet all of the great martial arts masters from history! Kaio-sama could've come back to life with Shen Long's wish, but he's staying to keep me company."
That's pretty much all that's said about the subject, I think.