Did Vegeta allow Trunks' tail to be removed?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Re: Did Vegeta allow Trunks' tail to be removed?

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:53 pm

GreatWyrmGold wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote:Goku lost some power when Yamcha got rid of his tail and regained his strength when it grew back while he was fighting Giran.
I'm not sure either of those are true. Goku passed out when his tail was cut off, but I don't recall anything suggesting he was weaker than he had been before. And IIRC, Goku's tail helped him against Giran because of its utility as an extra limb, not because it made him stronger.
Goku clearly became stronger when he got his tail back. Earlier he was unable to break out of Giran's gum, but once he gets his tail back he busts through with ease. He also says he feels much better with his tail and easily kicks through the wall to test his new power.

Chapter: 40, P12.4, 13.1
Goku: “Heheh! I knew that I’m in better condition when I’ve got my tail!”
*He smashes wall*
Goku: “Alright! I’m in tip-top shape, tip-top shape!”

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:26 pm

In chapter 337, Kuririn asked Bulma they cut off baby Trunks’ tail, but her answer isn’t shown. The Daizenshuu 4, however, implied that Trunks (and Goten) were born with the Saiyan tail. Those born without them are super child prodigies, as described in the entry.
  • The tailless second generation are super ultra child prodigies.
    Saiyan genes have an extraordinarily good compatibility with Earthling blood. Because of this, when the two races are mixed together children with formidable power are born. Particularly, those Halflings born without tails hide an exceptional battle power. There are many things that they naturally master from a young age, such as the ordinarily arduous transformation into a Super Saiyan. In spite of having such an outstanding battle sense, they do not have a fondness for battle like a pure Saiyan. Instead, it seems that the violent temperament of the Saiyan has been relaxed through their Earthling blood.
During the course of the Android arc, Vegeta doesn’t really give a crap about his family, and likely had Bulma raise Trunks alone, so even if we ignore the guidebook and assume Trunks were born with a tail, it’s likely that it was Bulma’s decision to remove it.

Side note: I hate the “Toriyama forgot” excuse people come up when asked about this stuff. Darkprince already explained it better in the previous page, but there’s no way that Toriyama forgot this thing in the Android arc.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:29 am

GreatWyrmGold wrote:I'm not sure exactly what chapter/episode they're from, or how I'd get a screenshot of them. I might spend the effort to figure all that out if I was more confident that it wasn't an anime-only thing or something else easily dismissed.
Apparently, the moon showed up some time when Frieza and King Cold came to Earth. That's about all I can tell you. Sorry about that. (I still maintain that the moon is important enough to get restored sooner or later.)
In the anime yes, it's clear that there's a moon again, but in the manga, for that same scene, there's just a few undefined dots around the Earth that may or may not be the moon, but it should be noted that in later moments, such as the Earth exploding in the Buu arc or in the Revival of F arc, we never see the moon at all (or any indication of a moon having been there, but exploding due to the proximity to the Earth).

As for importance...not really. It's not shown that there were any tidal or other gravitational effects caused by the loss of the Moon either time it happened, and if the Earth could go on without it for well over three years, then it could have continued on after that just fine.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:48 pm

nickzambuto wrote:
ShadowBardock89 wrote:Trunks and Goten were not born with tails. According to Toriyama, the tails are a recessive gene trait (in reality, Toriyama got tired of drawing them).
I'm not a genetics expert, but I don't think this explanation makes sense. If the trait is recessive wouldn't that typically mean it's less common? Yet every single saiyan on Planet Vegeta seemed to have tails.

Wasn't it also said that once a saiyan grows strong enough, their tail begins to inhibit their potential? I prefer that explanation for why the boys were born without tails.
[i]Shonen Jump[/i] (Issue 1, January 2003) wrote:(9) Why don’t Goten and Trunks have tails? –Kakarotto, Via Internet
It seems that tails are a recessive genetic trait.
[...]
(12) What happened to Vegeta’s tail after he was defeated on Earth? –Marc LaCroix, Nova Scotia, Canada
The tail lets you gain tremendous strength instantly by transforming into a giant ape, but the risks are equally great–you’ll lose your strength if it’s squeezed. Once you’re as powerful as Vegeta and Goku, the tail just gets in the way. It is thought that the bodies of Saiyans, who are a fighting species, decided that their tails are unnecessary appendages.
DragonBallLove wrote:Meaning Pan or Bra's children could very well have a tail.
That's not necessarily true. If Pan & Bra's children are anything like Trunks & Goten, they'll likely be born too powerful for tails.

DragonBallLove
Beyond Newbie

Post by DragonBallLove » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:45 am

Oh, that's why I said "could". Only a very little percentage would, though.