Maybe Cell Is Just Misinformed Regarding His Regeneration?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theherodjl
I Live Here

Maybe Cell Is Just Misinformed Regarding His Regeneration?

Post by theherodjl » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:08 am

Cell does state that so as long as his nucleus is intact he can regenerate but with it being destroyed by Goku earlier and regenerating anyways that ends up being the plothole...or does it?
Freeza(and Cooler if movie-canon is included) can survive with the vast majority of their bodies obliterated down to just being faces or parts of heads so this implies they do not have an organ like a brain or at the very least do not require them, what if this concept applies to Cell in that he thinks he would need an important organ like a brain that houses a nucleus but does not and that he can simply regenerate so as long as some degree of his being remains? Is he just wrong and the "nucleus" is really just some random part of his body that he is under the impression follows the rules of Namekian regeneration?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Tectorman
Regular

Re: Maybe Cell Is Just Misinformed Regarding His Regeneration?

Post by Tectorman » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:51 am

That's problematic because he lost his head (and upper body) before self-destructing and recovering the way he did. Coming back from Goku's Kamehameha should have already told him "That business with your nucleus the computer told you about? Ignore it; it was wrong".

That is, if he remembered. He might not have. The Cell that regenerated from Goku's attack might have only known that he took some kind of significant damage, but not what specific kind.
Twilight: My library?! My library!! Do you have any idea how many books I had in there?!
Lord Tirek: How many, little princess?
Twilight: Over NINE THOUSAND!!!

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:57 am

Tectorman wrote:That's problematic because he lost his head (and upper body) before self-destructing and recovering the way he did. Coming back from Goku's Kamehameha should have already told him "That business with your nucleus the computer told you about? Ignore it; it was wrong".

That is, if he remembered. He might not have. The Cell that regenerated from Goku's attack might have only known that he took some kind of significant damage, but not what specific kind.
I've always gone with the explanation that the nucleus is only necessary if most of his body is destroyed, since he still had a significant portion of his body left after Goku blasted him the nucleus would have been unnecessary.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:40 pm

Our maybe he misinformed the Z fighters? He didn't talk about his torso regeneration because it wasn't important at that moment.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:17 pm

There's likely no fixed nucleus. If he can regenerate no matter what part of his body is remaining, the nucleus probably shifts, if it's even there at all.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

tasuxeda

Post by tasuxeda » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:33 pm

My understanding is that Cell's nucleus was in one of the pieces of Cell's flesh that you can see being blown away from Cell's body and that it remained intact and either rejoined his body to regenerate or was able to cause his body to regenerate remotely.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:54 pm

theherodjl wrote:Cell does state that so as long as his nucleus is intact he can regenerate but with it being destroyed by Goku earlier and regenerating anyways that ends up being the plothole...or does it?
Freeza(and Cooler if movie-canon is included) can survive with the vast majority of their bodies obliterated down to just being faces or parts of heads so this implies they do not have an organ like a brain or at the very least do not require them, what if this concept applies to Cell in that he thinks he would need an important organ like a brain that houses a nucleus but does not and that he can simply regenerate so as long as some degree of his being remains? Is he just wrong and the "nucleus" is really just some random part of his body that he is under the impression follows the rules of Namekian regeneration?
I just figured he was lying.

"Yep, this is how you beat me. Destroy my head. [points to head] Right here. Really, that's it."
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:42 am

Cell said he can regenerate from any extreme of injury as long as that cluster of cells remains implying it would drain next to no energy but when Goku literally blew his top off it took a lot of energy to regenerate himself.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:31 am

Dragon Ball Chapter 413 wrote:Cell: "Heh heh heh..."
Cell: "You seem surprised!"
Cell: "I was too."
Cell: "Quite a stroke of luck on my part."
Cell: "There's a small cluster of cells in my head. It makes up my 'core'."
Cell: "If that cluster isn't destroyed, my body can go on regenerating, even if only microscopic pieces remain."
Taking Cell's word at face value, Goku failed to eliminate a microscopic piece. Cell's suicide attempt intended complete obliteration according to his feelings on the subject.