Which character is the most smug?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Which character is the most smug?

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:39 am

From any canon of the Dragon Ball Franchise?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Which character is the most smug?

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:44 am

I think Piccolo (Junior), Vegeta, and #17 all have their prime moments. In terms of overall time spent with the characters versus how smug they are during said time, I might have to give #17 the Total-Smugness-Percentage (TSP™) trophy here.

I'm not including Freeza on the list, because his polite, back-handed arrogance transcends smugness to an entirely different level.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:52 am

I think I'm gonna have to go recent here and pick Goku Black.

I'm basing this entirely on the number of smug smiles featured in the arc.

Heck, the smug bastard starts sarcastically clapping at Vegeta's Super Saiyan Blue transformation. Doesn't get much smugger than that!
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:02 pm

Up until now only moderators/staff have responded. Time for me to break that streak.

I'd say Goku after he nets a big win.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:27 pm

Oh, Perfect Cell by far. He took everybody's prime character trait and pushed them all to the most extreme.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:18 pm

Goku Black without a doubt. Never lost his cool, and was always so condescending, vindictive and flamboyant about his abilities.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:56 pm

My immediate thought was Vegeta

But everyone's been smug at one point;

Krillin as a kid, Yamcha against Shen, Tien during his first appearance, Gohan during the Super Buu and Cell fights, Future Trunks during his initial appearance, Piccolo in his initial appearance, GOTENKS, Goku has a touch of the smugness here and there even, Bulma, 18, ANDROID 17...

...Gotenks may be able to give Vegeta a run for his money, but I think I'd still have to stick with Vegeta for the protagonists. Some sort of toss up between Zamasu, Black, Frieza and Cell for villains.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:56 pm

Nobody has yet to surpass Freeza, the crown king of smugness;

I suppose that Goku Black is a second, but the difference between first and second here is literal light years.

And maybe Cell is third, but he has close competition from Vegeta.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:30 pm

Goku black,#17, zamasu, Vegeta, frieza,cell,gotenks and vegito are the characters with the biggest smug and ego,i think this guy is going to join the smug club [spoiler]Image that look tells me that he is going to be a smug character[/spoiler]
Mostly active on discord.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:52 pm

Freeza, definitely. He probably sniffs his own farts.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:21 pm

Freeza probably.

Zamasu/Gokû Black are a close second though; what with literally becoming the universe and in doing so creating clouds in his image.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:05 am

Zamasu, no contest here.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:15 pm

I'd say exclusively Vegeta, but since VegettoEX brought up Android 17, I think it's a tie between those two.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

SaiyanZ
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyanZ » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:59 pm

Vegeta, Freeza, 17 & Black
Tim Duncan is dope and forever.

My favorite anime and manga (characters included): https://myanimelist.net/profile/SaiyanZ?q=SaiyanZ

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:15 pm

Goku Black, Freeza and Cell at least for me.