Why Are the Characters Dead in the Future? (Cell Arc)

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zeru14
Beyond Newbie

Re: Why Are the Characters Dead in the Future? (Cell Arc)

Post by Zeru14 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:02 am

cheddarsword wrote:well at least the piccolo loophole has been fixed.
That just leaves Fortuneteller Baba, the fate of the Lookout and Mr. Popo, King Kai and the Namekian Dragonballs.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:06 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:Shenron being able to cure illnesses is a contradiction in and of itself.
How so? I can't recall it ever being stated that he can't and as far as we've seen in show/manga, nobody ever asked him to try until Pan was sick.
It was stated they can't revive people if they die of natural causes. Also, they could've just used the dragonballs to cure Goku's ki sickness in episode 43 of Super if he can cure illnesses.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:23 am

Plot.

Same reason why Future Gohan was so horribly weak despite everything we know about Gohan's potential.

The Cell arc, for all its good aspects, is full of silly and nonsensical plot points that have to happen to drive the story forward. So much of the shit that happened could've been averted if the characters had use just a little bit of common sense, but without those things happening we wouldn't have had a story, or as eventful a story as the one we got.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:27 am

honestly, this should've happened

- goku communicates with bulma telling her where new namek is

- bulma builds a spaceship and her and trunks go to new namek to make wishes

- goku communicates with gohan and tells him about the ROSAT and gohan goes to train for 2 whole days (years) and becomes stronger than the androids

- gohan kills both androids and imperfect cell

- porunga wishes back all z fighters including vegeta and except goku since he died naturally

- porunga tells bulma of the super Dragonballs that she uses to revive goku

- everything proceeds normally except they're to weak to beat dabura and supreme kaiou steps in and beerus comes and kills dabura.

SkuLLR3D

Post by SkuLLR3D » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:57 am

Topics like this are where headcannons come in handy. Personally I think if Akira Toryama doesn't clarify something, it's up to the fan to make sense of it in his/her head.
It's inconvenient but it can be fun to ponder

VDenter

Post by VDenter » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:27 am

SkuLLR3D wrote:Topics like this are where headcannons come in handy. Personally I think if Akira Toryama doesn't clarify something, it's up to the fan to make sense of it in his/her head.
Yeah i agree with this in some instances. I am not one of those people who think every story needs to be tied up into a nice bow with no loose ends. However this is a case where no matter how much i try to fill in the gaps it just makes no sense.

Black Hawk
Regular

Post by Black Hawk » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:00 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:The setup for Trunks' future has always been pretty flimsy and it falls apart even more after Super shows that Shenron can cure illnesses, and rather easily a that. Then there's Trunks not asking Goku or Dende where New Namek is before going back to his own timeline so he can go there and use their Dragon Balls, or bring Dende back to Earth to revive Shenron.
This, essentially.

I'd like to take this moment to say that, while I think very highly of Toriyama as a writer and believe him to be a great writer in general, he is still a fallible and imperfect human being just like everyone else. No writer, no matter how great or talented, is inherently incapable of bad or weak writing, and Toriyama, as much as I love his work, is not an exception. Everybody makes decisions that, in hindsight, could have been handled (or, in this case, written) better.

With that said, I'd also like to clarify that I'm not saying the Cell Arc as a whole (particularly its founding premise) is necessarily bad or weak; rather, it simply could have been written better, as this thread has made clear.
"Reign supreme? In your dreams; you'll never make me bow.
Kick my ass? I'm world-class and Super Saiyan now."

I BURN - Jeff Williams feat. Casey Lee Williams, RWBY Volume 1 Soundtrack

SkuLLR3D

Post by SkuLLR3D » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:37 pm

VDenter wrote:
SkuLLR3D wrote:Topics like this are where headcannons come in handy. Personally I think if Akira Toryama doesn't clarify something, it's up to the fan to make sense of it in his/her head.
Yeah i agree with this in some instances. I am not one of those people who think every story needs to be tied up into a nice bow with no loose ends. However this is a case where no matter how much i try to fill in the gaps it just makes no sense.
Yeah it's a hard one. I'll include my head cannon.
I think in future trunks timeline, resources were probably scarce. It would take gohan, trunks, or a band of people to gather supplies for bulma to make a space ship or time machine, with little chances they'll make it back alive with the androids running around.
When gohan died, they probably couldn't get as much resources as they need.
It seems far fetched that they'd have the resources and know-how to make a time machine and not a space ship, but I guess that's what happened LOL