Why is Goku bored?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Why is Goku bored?

Post by Doctor. » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:46 pm

Let's think about it. By the time the arc starts, he's still weaker than Merged Zamasu and Black (and Monaka, as far as he knows), and is on the same level as Vegeta and Hit. Zamasu and Black are dead, so let's cross them off. Let's assume he figured out Monaka is a fraud. And Kaioken takes care of Hit and Vegeta, fine. However, he has yet to surpass Beerus and Whis, let alone the Grand Priest or the Omni-King. Beerus alone should provide him with all the entertainment he needs (and Beerus himself would love to fight a strong Goku, that's the entire point of BoG). So, what gives? Is Goku just easily bored all of the sudden and he needs a constant stream of different, powerful opponents coming at him?

Gog
I Live Here

Re: Why is Goku bored?

Post by Gog » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:53 pm

Doctor. wrote: Is Goku just easily bored all of the sudden and he needs a constant stream of different, powerful opponents coming at him?

That's the most likely explanation. It's probably a case of Goku wants something new, he's a thrill seeker of sorts, Vegeta's old news, Beerus and Whis are no fun, Monaka's too dangerous, and Hit's shinctk is getting old.

He wants new, he wants exciting.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:21 pm

He probably knows he can't surpass berrus anytime soon so he is trying to find opponents he can surpass and learn from resulting in him finally surpassing berrus..
Berrus is the goal, the Universe's most powerful fighter's defeat is the way
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:50 pm

Gog wrote:
Doctor. wrote: Is Goku just easily bored all of the sudden and he needs a constant stream of different, powerful opponents coming at him?

That's the most likely explanation. It's probably a case of Goku wants something new, he's a thrill seeker of sorts, Vegeta's old news, Beerus and Whis are no fun, Monaka's too dangerous, and Hit's shinctk is getting old.

Goku is like a drug addict when it comes to fighting. He always need his fix or he gets agitated.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:55 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Gog wrote:

Goku is like a drug addict when it comes to fighting. He always need his fix or he gets agitated.
Which is why I really wanna see a story where he runs out of them and Oob fails to satisfy him, kind of like GT but with a darker twist.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:56 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Gog wrote:

Which is why I really wanna see a story where he runs out of them and Oob fails to satisfy him, kind of like GT but with a darker twist.
So he turns into Beerus 2.0 then? Traveling through the stars searching for worthy opponents at any cost.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:59 pm

Gog wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: Goku is like a drug addict when it comes to fighting. He always need his fix or he gets agitated.
So he turns into Beerus 2.0 then? Traveling through the stars searching for worthy opponents at any cost.
I would be so down for a show like. Travelling the universe, while causing unnecessary destruction in an attempt to satisfy his battle boner.

Oh, wait. There is a show like that: it's called Dragon Ball Z.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:59 pm

Gog wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: Goku is like a drug addict when it comes to fighting. He always need his fix or he gets agitated.
Probably with some Perfect Cell thrown in where he'd intentionally antagonize people. It could even get more interesting with the DBs so he could rationalize any casualties he makes as pointless since he can always deus ex machina everything back to normal.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:04 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Gog wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: Which is why I really wanna see a story where he runs out of them and Oob fails to satisfy him, kind of like GT but with a darker twist.
Probably with some Perfect Cell thrown in where he'd intentionally antagonize people. It could even get more interesting with the DBs so he could rationalize any casualties he makes as pointless since he can always deus ex machina everything back to normal.
Real talk: I'd love it if Super took the idea of Goku going from a classical hero to an outright anti-villain with what they're setting up in the Universal Survival arc. A lot fans may not like that idea, but I would find it very interesting and a great way to spice up Goku's character.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:12 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
Gog wrote:
Real talk: I'd love it if Super took the idea Goku going from classical hero to an outright anti-villain with what they're setting up in the Universal Survival arc. A lot fan may not like that idea, but I would find it very interesting and great way to spice up Goku's character.
Which is precisely why it won't happen ;)

Toriyama's got no juice left in the creative tank, Toyotaro is the most generic thing ever and the Toei staff might have some good ideas but the production & Toriyama are gonna screw whatever ideas they have.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:17 am

After thinking about it, I think it's just for the sake of story. There's a likely chance that the word "Strong" will come out of Goku's mouth and that I guess is what sort of drives the story.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:25 am

Was Goku bored prior to the Saiyan arc? Goku seemed pretty content there. I'm not sure why finding out he's from a battle hungry warrior race would change something he's already achieved. I don't think there's an in-universe explanation for it and really just comes done to driving the plot forward for the sake of making new stories.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:16 pm

[quote="Lord Beerus]I would be so down for a show like. Travelling the universe, while causing unnecessary destruction in an attempt to satisfy his battle boner.

Oh, wait. There is a show like that: it's called Dragon Ball Z.[/quote]
You sure about that? I thought you were talking about Super.... man. IIRC in Z, Goku always avoided causing as much collateral damage as possible.

Anyways, he's bored cause Chi-Chi won't give him that chichi.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:26 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:I would be so down for a show like. Travelling the universe, while causing unnecessary destruction in an attempt to satisfy his battle boner.

Oh, wait. There is a show like that: it's called Dragon Ball Z.
You sure about that? I thought you were talking about Super.... man. IIRC in Z, Goku always avoided causing as much collateral damage as possible.

Anyways, he's bored cause Chi-Chi won't give him that chichi.
Why is why instead of preventing the androids from being activated, Goku decides to train instead because he wants to fight and why Goku choose not to use SSJ3 to defeat Majin Boo or Vegeta easily when he could have.