Why don't we see more characters use weapons

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Why don't we see more characters use weapons

Post by Captain Strawberry » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:54 pm

In the beginning, it makes a lot of sense to me because a very big theme in the original Dragon Ball was martial arts.

But when it comes to a bad guy, the characters seem to have intention to kill them (well a lot of them do) so wouldn't make sense if they amplified the hardness of the metal (I.e a sword) through ki? Especially to cut down an opponent many times stronger than you. Metal is ordinarily harder than bone and skin so it would make sense to power it up with energy.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Re: Why don't we see more characters use weapons

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:57 pm

They fight nearly entirely with ki, and theirs are stronger than any weapon.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:02 pm

RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote:They fight nearly entirely with ki, and theirs are stronger than any weapon.
Like I said, if their using ki to enhance their bodies, they can do the same with blade.
Kuro Tenshi

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:34 pm

It is also as you said, the characters are only interested in martial art fights, even the villians.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:11 pm

RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote:It is also as you said, the characters are only interested in martial art fights, even the villians.
true

I guess /close
Kuro Tenshi

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:00 pm

RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote:They fight nearly entirely with ki, and theirs are stronger than any weapon.
Future Trunks was able to use a sword and kill Freeza though, while Goku was only able to slice him in half with a Kienzan (IDK the specific attack name).
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Beek King
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Beek King » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:48 pm

Weapons are pretty much useless in the DB world, except maybe channelling your ki through them like Trunks did, which he mostly did for the cool factor and to fool King Cold to think the sword is special when in reality it's bupkis. A butter knife could probably be just as effective like this.
Do whatever you like, ghost.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:49 pm

As cool as it would be to see some weapons action in Dragon Ball, I do enjoy the purity in all the major fighters using only hand-to-hand. It's all Man to Man, Mano y Mano. I like that concept of mastering martial arts to a superhuman degree and achieving zen and perfection and all of that. A weapon would make things slightly impure.

Although I wouldn't mind a secondary villain using a sword or weapon, thus putting the protagonists at a disadvantage and therefore we get to see their skills shine in another way, that they still win even with just using their bare hands. Although I would prefer most main villains to use hand-to-hand and no weapons.