I have a question about GT

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

I have a question about GT

Post by Totamo » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:01 am

I didn't like GT at all so maybe someone who did like it explain something to me?

Why didn't they use the rugualr or the namekian dragon balls to wish for a new Earth than take everyone there? They did it at the end of the baby saga so why didn't they do it before.

cheddarsword
Regular

Re: I have a question about GT

Post by cheddarsword » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:36 am

i'd say it might help if you were more specific about when they should have done this... but to be honest, there were several openings and it really should have been done at the first sign of trouble. granted, it's been several years since i've watched all of GT, but i remember enough.

so the best answer i can give you, is that the writers needed an excuse for the plot to continue, and paid off the Z fighters so they wouldn't mention it.

no, seriously, you've discovered a plot hole in GT, and i wouldn't be a bit surprised if you found more if you tried.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:46 am

cheddarsword wrote:i'd say it might help if you were more specific about when they should have done this... but to be honest, there were several openings and it really should have been done at the first sign of trouble. granted, it's been several years since i've watched all of GT, but i remember enough.

so the best answer i can give you, is that the writers needed an excuse for the plot to continue, and paid off the Z fighters so they wouldn't mention it.

no, seriously, you've discovered a plot hole in GT, and i wouldn't be a bit surprised if you found more if you tried.
It may not be, thats why I'm asking but they literally do this after baby is defeated. They go to a planet that was made by dragon balls. Namekians did this before as well.

This is GT's foundation by the way. I don't care about plotholes or inconsistencies because this is dragon ball and it isn't why I don't like it.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:59 am

The general public is typically their own worst enemy when it comes to distrust and stubbornness. It may be debatable as to whether you could convince at least the majority of Earth's population to just up and abandon their current planet, even with Mr. Satan's help, without them living through the terror that was the Bebi Arc.

Satan at least spoke via telepathy back in the Boo Arc, and all he was asking was for people to raise their hands. There was something abnormal to help convince the Earthlings to do an extremely simple task. However, this time you're asking them to uproot their entire lives to travel to a different planet...with zero evidence that anything bad was going to happen a year from then.

With Bebi's attack though, you already have some of the population on a different planet. And for those left behind, you have that abnormal element again. You have the population thinking "well, this really weird stuff just happened, so maybe this other weird thing could happen too".

I guess you could forcibly teleport them with a wish, but the disorientation may not go over so well. xD
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:26 am

well, if i were to try and come up with a reason...

i think there was some mention of the wish power being stronger than the regular balls could produce. as a result, perhaps even porunga couldn't over ride the wish's effects?

but then, you're asking why the problem wasn't worked around some other way by using wishes from other dragon balls...

well, since the black star balls drain the power of the planet, it may be possible that the regular balls wouldn't have been trustworthy during the planet's decline. that would make sense.

but porunga though...

well, it does take time to gather the dragon balls. Still, it would have made more sense to do that than to run all over the universe looking for the black star balls.

the only answer i can give right now is that they didn't want to bug the namekians with an earth problem that they could handle, and/or they just didn't want to have to wish people's memories away.

Of course, there's this way of looking at it too:

porunga's 3 wishes:

wish 1: make new planet for earthlings that looks just like earth does at that moment in time and set it on earth's orbital track.
wish 2: put everyone from earth on earth 2.
wish 3: move old earth to somewhere safe to let it explode in peace

shenron's 2 wishes:

ERROR: DRAGON BALLS HAVE CRACKED AND ARE FILLED WITH DARK ENERGY! WOULD YOU STILL LIKE TO SUMMON? Y/N

and that produces a problem. people may or may not remember the events, but now new earth's screwed too. the other way, people DID forgot it all, because they needed less wishes to make everything happen. they also didn't have to mess around with gravitational problems that may occur from having two planets on the exact same orbital track, or risk an odd change in seasons. "wait, didn't we just get over winter? this cold's going to kill my farming season!" tell me that wouldn't be a problem.

i think i'm going to have to rewatch some GT to answer this one any better than that, but from what i can tell, the writers may have just decided to skip even trying so that they wouldn't waste episodes explaining why it wouldn't work, assuming they already had the shadow dragon arc already planned.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:32 am

I don't think it particularly needs justifying that forcibly relocating every human on the planet isn't their first plan of action. Maybe it would have made sense to not send Goku into space though, as should worse come to worst, his teleportation would be their only way to get to New Namek in a pinch.

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:05 pm

Cipher wrote:I don't think it particularly needs justifying that forcibly relocating every human on the planet isn't their first plan of action. Maybe it would have made sense to not send Goku into space though, as should worse come to worst, his teleportation would be their only way to get to New Namek in a pinch.
right, which feeds into my theory about the writers not wanting to waste episodes explaining why it wouldn't work. the very first planet they land on sees goku attempting instant transmission, and failing. the writers could have planned that already.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:09 pm

Cipher wrote:I don't think it particularly needs justifying that forcibly relocating every human on the planet isn't their first plan of action. Maybe it would have made sense to not send Goku into space though, as should worse come to worst, his teleportation would be their only way to get to New Namek in a pinch.
But going on a universal hunt which could have easily failed is a better idea?

Plus they failed anyway and did this exactly and humans didn't care afterwards.

So what gives?

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:13 pm

When do Dragon Ball characters ever do the sensible thing right from the start?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:34 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:When do Dragon Ball characters ever do the sensible thing right from the start?
This is true.

I mean, During the freeza saga they weren't as dumb but cell saga and throughout, they are moons.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:41 pm

Totamo wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:When do Dragon Ball characters ever do the sensible thing right from the start?
This is true.

I mean, During the freeza saga they weren't as dumb but cell saga and throughout, they are moons.
IDK man, them forgetting the concept of tactics the second Piccolo shows up remains one of the most butt fucking dumb things they've done. Them gawking at Freeza instead of rushing to kill him as fast as possible when he says he has more forms is just... ngh...
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:01 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Totamo wrote:
This is true.

IDK man, them forgetting the concept of tactics the second Piccolo shows up remains one of the most butt fucking dumb things they've done. Them gawking at Freeza instead of rushing to kill him as fast as possible when he says he has more forms is just... ngh...
Damn so when was the last time our characters were competent

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:11 am

I would imagine it would have just been easier to do this:

Porunga 1st wish:

Wish for a carbon copy of Earth.

Porunga 2nd wish:

Move everyone from Earth 1 to Earth 2.

-Destroy Earth 1.

Porunga 3rd Wish:

Move Earth 2 to where Earth 1 should be.

Done. But obviously that would be too simple.