Super Saiyan Grade 3 vs Super Saiyan 2

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Re: Super Saiyan Grade 3 vs Super Saiyan 2

Post by Son_Gohan » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:14 pm

supersaiyangodgogeta wrote: You're adding layers to his statement. Cell stated that Trunks surpassed him. That is as logically conclusive as Cell saying "true power" interpretations aside. He didn't say that Trunks was stronger than a specific level of power that he was using. Cell knew the actual ki amount that he possessed, hence why he made the comparison between himself and Trunks. He didn't yet know what he could do with the power he possessed.
Taking his words literally would mean that he surpassed him overall, not just in power. The context is meant to provide clarity, and you miss out on the nuances in the story that would aid in that regard when just focusing on the line in isolation based on someone else's interpretation. Since the manga was not intended to be read that way, you're understanding of it will not be the same as reading it in its original form, as even in Japanese the context is not always clear.

Again, if Cell was fully aware of his full power than the large gap between himself and SSJ2 Gohan surely wouldn't have come as such a shock. His power was explicitly questioned from the moment he formed, and the casual reader is not intended to be certain of something that even the characters don't know. On the other hand, Krillin had objectively sensed SSJ Grade III Trunks, Buffed-up Cell & FPSSJ Goku, and just on those specific powers, judged the latter as having the greatest Ki. There isn't much ambiguity there.

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:08 am

cheddarsword wrote:
TheGodfather93 wrote:Disregarding what happens in Super, both because the powerscaling in that series is whack and because it's never stated whether Trunks reverted to SSJ or stayed in SSJ2 when going Grade 3, the power of characters at the Cell Games can be accurately gauged to a degree.
true, it's never stated but considering that grade 2 and grade 3 never showed any changes to super saiyan's standard aura, it can be assumed that they generally obey the same rules as the form they're based in. as such, if super saiyan 2 went grade 3, you would think that it's aura would still contain lightning, especialy since the only thing that DOESN'T increase when moving up in grade is speed, which actually decreases.
Just because there was no lighting aura doesn't mean it wasn't SSJ2. Gohan didn't have a lighting aura when fighting Dabura, despite being SSJ2 (yes, I know whether he was SSJ or SSJ2 level is a heavily debated topic, but if Dabura was anywhere near Cell's level, a weakened SSJ Gohan just would've gotten stomped). In Trunks' case, it could've been either a stylistic choice on Toei's part to give a callback to the Grade 3 form when it was used in Z, or it could've just been laziness in not wanting to animate the lightning.

Like I said, if SSJ Grade 3 Trunks was anywhere near SSJ2's level of power, he would've vaporised a heavily suppressed Perfect Cell with just one punch. Heck, even the wind generated by his punch would've had some effect. People need to ignore some dubious guidebooks and supposedly official power level guides, that I doubt Toriyama had any input in, and look at feats. Those have always been the most reliable indicators of strength. And in this instance, SSJ2 is a far superior and more powerful form than SSJ Grade 3.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:29 am

TheGodfather93 wrote:
cheddarsword wrote:
TheGodfather93 wrote:Disregarding what happens in Super, both because the powerscaling in that series is whack and because it's never stated whether Trunks reverted to SSJ or stayed in SSJ2 when going Grade 3, the power of characters at the Cell Games can be accurately gauged to a degree.
true, it's never stated but considering that grade 2 and grade 3 never showed any changes to super saiyan's standard aura, it can be assumed that they generally obey the same rules as the form they're based in. as such, if super saiyan 2 went grade 3, you would think that it's aura would still contain lightning, especialy since the only thing that DOESN'T increase when moving up in grade is speed, which actually decreases.
Just because there was no lighting aura doesn't mean it wasn't SSJ2. Gohan didn't have a lighting aura when fighting Dabura, despite being SSJ2 (yes, I know whether he was SSJ or SSJ2 level is a heavily debated topic, but if Dabura was anywhere near Cell's level, a weakened SSJ Gohan just would've gotten stomped). In Trunks' case, it could've been either a stylistic choice on Toei's part to give a callback to the Grade 3 form when it was used in Z, or it could've just been laziness in not wanting to animate the lightning.

Like I said, if SSJ Grade 3 Trunks was anywhere near SSJ2's level of power, he would've vaporised a heavily suppressed Perfect Cell with just one punch. Heck, even the wind generated by his punch would've had some effect. People need to ignore some dubious guidebooks and supposedly official power level guides, that I doubt Toriyama had any input in, and look at feats. Those have always been the most reliable indicators of strength. And in this instance, SSJ2 is a far superior and more powerful form than SSJ Grade 3.
i guess this is another one that's just set to whatever fans say happened. for now anyway.

personaly, i'm going with what i said, because that's what i see happening.

also, people trying to compare grade 3 trunks to SS2 gohan... apples and oranges. the differences in base power levels means you can't compare these two. if it was goku and vegeta from super, then maybe, but trunks and gohan? i just can't see that being an even power match in base form.

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:26 am

Potara_Vegetto wrote:We know that Trunks in Dai San Dankai surpass Perfect Cell.
We know that Gohan in Super Saiyan 2 surpass Perfect Cell.

Which form is stronger?
Grade 3 Trunks only surpasses Cell at his initial, standby level. SSj2 vastly surpasses Cell at full power. SSj2 is much stronger than Grade 3.

The debate should be more whether Grade 3 of FPSSj is stronger, without even bringing SSj2 into it.

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:40 am

not sure how much this will help, but MasakoX did make a video on the grades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzH5pBfrn2g

and for those that didn't watch the video:

Grade 1: Super Saiyan
Grade 2: Ascended Super Saiyan/Super Vegeta
Grade 3: Ultra Super Saiyan/Ultra Trunks
Grade 4: Mastered Super Saiyan (Goku and Gohan after time chamber)
Grade 5: Super Saiyan 2

MaxZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MaxZ » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:54 am

TheUltimateNinja wrote:
Tectorman wrote:
theherodjl wrote:Here's a hypothetical addition, how does SSJ2 Grade 3 compare with SSJ3? Which one is worse?
"SSJ2 Grade 3"? Is there an example of that you can point us to, or is this a hypothetical form?
It's hypothetical.
well actually Trunks uses it in the anime version of Super to trick SSJB Vegeta.

OT: I'd say SSJ2 is significantly stronger than USSJ.

I think Cell was lying to Trunks partly, he was holding back immensely and was also most likely weakened a fair bit from regenerating against Vegeta's Final Flash.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:27 pm

supersaiyangodgogeta wrote:
Son_Gohan wrote: It is not evident that Cell was speaking in terms of his true power when he made the statement or even later on. Since as dbgtFO points out, Cell didn't know himself exactly what his full power was at the time to even make such a claim. For there to be a lie, the statement would have to assert the idea to begin with; it merely stems from your own interpretation.
You're adding layers to his statement. Cell stated that Trunks surpassed him. That is as logically conclusive as Cell saying "true power" interpretations aside. He didn't say that Trunks was stronger than a specific level of power that he was using. Cell knew the actual ki amount that he possessed, hence why he made the comparison between himself and Trunks. He didn't yet know what he could do with the power he possessed.
TheUltimateNinja wrote: The Trunks Special anime comic says SSJ2, then Grade 5, was the strongest transformation. This means Grade 3 can't be any stronger than SSJ2.
Other sources clarify the Grade 3 multiplier as 10x Grade 2 and Trunks powers up from SSJ2 to Grade 3 in Super, hence the anime comic simply point to SSJ2 being a stronger form overall, not in brute strength. That wraps up everything, this discussion is over.
1) At face value, all that can be taken from Cell's statement is that Trunks surpassed Cell's then current level, not his overall strength. Without specification, we can only take the situation as a snapshot of what it was at the time, that Trunks at that moment had surpassed Cell at that moment. Saying that it's an absolute when there are a vast number of statements contradicting it is just nonsensical.

Saying that Cell was saying that Trunks had surpassed his maximum would be no different than saying that Goku was saying that Vegeta as Ssj2 was equal to his Ssj3 form when he said the following statement.
Goku: “Un-unbelievable…I thought I trained considerably in the afterlife…But we’re completely even…You trained more than me…”
However, we fully know that Goku was only talking about the level of power he was using at that very time and not taking his Ssj3 form into account. In the same vein, we know from later statements from multiple individuals, Cell included, that Cell was only referring to the power he was using at the time and not his full strength, a strength that, by his own words, only Gohan surpassed.

2) The only other "source" is, as mentioned repeatedly by others before, a Spanish translation of a guide book that we have no verification of the original discussed piece of information for. Until we find out what is said in the original Japanese version, its credibility is no more sound than the North American page of Shonen Jump that indicated that Goku flew halfway across planet Namek to get from Freeza's ship to where the others were fighting Freeza.

Secondly, no, Trunks went from regular Super Saiyan to Grade 3 in Super, not Ssj2 to Grade 3.

All official, confirmable sources put Ssj2 above Grade 3 in every fashion, including strength. The manga does, the anime does, and all verifiable guide books do. Even if the Legend of Manga source's statement proved to be accurate translation of the original and not an embellishment of the Spanish translators, this would still fall short against the bulk of the information contradicting it, and at best would just fall under the erroneous "facts" that some of the guides have that just aren't accurate whatsoever.

SkuLLR3D

Post by SkuLLR3D » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:14 am

KorgDTR2000 wrote:The issue of speed with Grade 3 is something that has always annoyed me.

We saw in Dragon Ball two children wearing turtle shells that weighed 40kg. That's just shy of 90 pounds, and they were moving just fine once they got used to them. SSJ Grade 3 Trunks is stronger than Goku and Kuririn were as children by an unfathomable amount. And yet, if you throw an extra hundred pounds of muscle on him he's dramatically slower? Absolute garbage, considering he spent a year training at 10x Earth's gravity. He could live comfortably while weighing over 1000 pounds but with some extra muscle he's too slow at a normal level of gravity?

Well although it's not cannon (AT ALL), in DB multiverse ssj3 vegito increased his power by so much that he became the new center of gravity for the area. Maybe greater power = bigger mass than we originally thought, thus making the grade 3 form much more than just a few pounds added?
I'm just talking shit here so don't take me seriously lol