Is "Dragon Ball Minus" canonical?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: is dragon ball minus canon?

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:51 am

Gog wrote:Nope, there is simply no official canon in Dragon Ball. Whatever you want to be canon, is canon.
Again, I feel like my words are being twisted into an answer that was never intended and is not accurate.

"Dragon Ball Minus" is a bonus chapter in the collected edition of Jaco the Galactic Patrolman (it was not printed in the original 2013 Weekly Shonen Jump serialization), which Akira Toriyama wrote and illustrated by himself. It is simultaneously written both as a stand-alone story and as a direct prequel to Dragon Ball, and Shueisha specifically marketed it as such. Several of Jaco's characters (namely Jaco himself, but also Tights and the galactic king) have shown up in subsequent productions such as Resurrection 'F' and Dragon Ball Super.

"Dragon Ball Minus" provided a new take on the character of Bardock and Goku's pilgrimage to Earth. These events, as written by Toriyama, are in direct conflict with the original TV special from 1990, though do not necessarily conflict with anything in Toriyama's actual, original manga itself (though there are some trivial details, such as Bulma and her school attendance). That being said, the events shown are different from the ones that Toriyama went on-record as describing — in an uncharacteristically consistent fashion for 20 years — as something that he enjoyed, and even moved him to tears.

I don't know how responsible it is to say — and ONLY say — "it's canon" when the above explanation provides much better context for its production and incorporation into the larger franchise.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:22 am

I thought you were no longer with Kanzenshuu :(

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:39 am

Minus is indeed canon, because it's from Toriyama.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:05 am

mute_proxy wrote:I thought you were no longer with Kanzenshuu :(
Mike leaving was only an April Fools Joke, when I logged in on April 1st, I forgot it was April Fools 'till I went on YouTube.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:39 am

VegettoEX wrote:That being said, the events shown are different from the ones that Toriyama went on-record as describing — in an uncharacteristically consistent fashion for 20 years — as something that he enjoyed, and even moved him to tears.
Not necessarily a contradiction. We do know parts of those events are different. We don't know about the rest (with the exception of Bardock's last stand which happens in both interpretations).

cheddarsword
Regular

Re: Is "Dragon Ball Minus" canonical?

Post by cheddarsword » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:55 am

ok, this is the second time i've noticed a change of topic name for one of my topics. i can understand changing the title about the SS4 broly topic, but what was wrong with this one's title, and who changed it?

also, whoever changed the topic title of the ss4 broly topic had the audacity to go in and correct my capitalizations (well, lack thereof) in the first post. seriously, who is that meticulous or OCD? and why waste the time?

yeah, i know i'm calling out site staff on this, but frankly, it kinda offends me.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:01 am

cheddarsword wrote:ok, this is the second time i've noticed a change of topic name for one of my topics. i can understand changing the title about the SS4 broly topic, but what was wrong with this one's title, and who changed it?

also, whoever changed the topic title of the ss4 broly topic had the audacity to go in and correct my capitalizations (well, lack thereof) in the first post. seriously, who is that meticulous or OCD? and why waste the time?

yeah, i know i'm calling out site staff on this, but frankly, it kinda offends me.
I changed this topic title because it had no capitalization at all and the correct word to use there is "canonical". I can't speak to the other topic, but from the sounds of it, it's likely for the same reasons. Had I the extra time right now, I might also go in and fix up some of the other posts.

You agreed to a certain set of rules prior to registration, which you can review at any time. We expect a little more from our community members than other sites might, which we think leads to better conversations! I think you've been provided with a wealth of great information in this thread, so I'm not entirely sure why you'd want to complain about it.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:23 am

It's canon to the original manga. The manga never explained anything about Bardock, outside of him being Goku's dad who rebelled against Freeza. Toriyama made Minus to tell what he considers Bardock's past, so it's canon to the manga since the author deems it so. Like it or not, the author considers that official.

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:45 am

VegettoEX wrote:
cheddarsword wrote:ok, this is the second time i've noticed a change of topic name for one of my topics. i can understand changing the title about the SS4 broly topic, but what was wrong with this one's title, and who changed it?

I changed this topic title because it had no capitalization at all and the correct word to use there is "canonical". I can't speak to the other topic, but from the sounds of it, it's likely for the same reasons. Had I the extra time right now, I might also go in and fix up some of the other posts.

You agreed to a certain set of rules prior to registration, which you can review at any time. We expect a little more from our community members than other sites might, which we think leads to better conversations! I think you've been provided with a wealth of great information in this thread, so I'm not entirely sure why you'd want to complain about it.
I do not bother to read forum rules usually as they are generally the same across many boards. I did not expect this site to be different in that regard. Normally, you would not expect proper grammar to be a rule.

However, I will keep it in mind when making any future posts.

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:43 am

Since IIRC the Jaco and Minus manga were personally made by Toriyama, i believe they are canon to the DB manga.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:22 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:He was barely shown at all, though, so it's really not surprising.
Just like every other character in Minus :(

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:27 pm

Asura wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:He was barely shown at all, though, so it's really not surprising.
Just like every other character in Minus :(
That is because Minus was too short to be anything but what it was if Toriyama had more to work with I am sure it would have been better.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:17 pm

Definitely it would have been better. Dragon Ball Minus was the perfect chance to tell us more about the Saiyans, from their past to Bardock going to face Freeza. But instead... We got this load of crap that in the end it served no purpose at all. :|
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

killafoe69

Post by killafoe69 » Mon May 15, 2017 12:24 am

Even though I hate it. Toriyama meant it to be THE official prequel to the events of the manga. So yeah. There you go.

MyNiggaGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MyNiggaGoku » Mon May 15, 2017 9:08 am

I have a question.Can the Jaco manga w/o Minus co-exist with the Bardock TV special? Or are there any contradictions between them?
My Dragon Ball Super 'Canon'

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon May 15, 2017 9:14 am

MyNiggaGoku wrote:I have a question.Can the Jaco manga w/o Minus co-exist with the Bardock TV special? Or are there any contradictions between them?
I suggest you read it and find out! (I don't think there are any)
Retired.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon May 15, 2017 11:52 am

MyNiggaGoku wrote:I have a question.Can the Jaco manga w/o Minus co-exist with the Bardock TV special? Or are there any contradictions between them?
Maybe, if you want. But then you'll have to explain why Goku arrived on Earth wearing an armor in one media and without it in another, and why he looks older in one media, and younger in another.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Tue May 16, 2017 2:15 pm

Although there is no "stated canon" It's by the OG creator AND even in the same format as the original creation (manga/manga.)

That's a pretty open and shut simple case.

If it can fit and it's by the creator and it's not stated to be a "what if?" it's pretty obvs. to me.

People don't enjoy the story though, so they are motivated to jump through hoops to make it a case for it not being so.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Fri May 19, 2017 6:02 am

I think the better question is, which version of DB Super is canon to the manga. The manga or the anime of super? It'd be kind of fucked up to read the manga up right before the ten year time skip and then it continue off an anime.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Fri May 19, 2017 6:43 am

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:I think the better question is, which version of DB Super is canon to the manga. The manga or the anime of super? It'd be kind of fucked up to read the manga up right before the ten year time skip and then it continue off an anime.
Two separate canons. Toyotaro himself said Toriyama gives an outline of the events, no dialog even, and Toei and Toyotaro fill the story on their own.