Is "Dragon Ball Minus" canonical?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Re: Is "Dragon Ball Minus" canonical?

Post by DHM211 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:48 am

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:I think the better question is, which version of DB Super is canon to the manga. The manga or the anime of super? It'd be kind of fucked up to read the manga up right before the ten year time skip and then it continue off an anime.
Based off of DB Super flashbacks using Kai footage(vs reanimated footage like they use for DB flashbacks), Toei's canon is: Some version of the original DB -> DBZ Kai(+ the Bardock & Trunks specials) -> DB Super.

I would assume Toyotaro is establishing his manga as a continuation of the original DB manga. However, I know Toriyama intended for Battle of Gods to be a direct continuation of the manga, so which of those two is actually canon, I'm not sure.

As for the original question, I assume Toei is keeping the Bardock special canon(since they kept the Trunks special canon for Super).

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Fri May 19, 2017 4:07 pm

DHM211 wrote:
OWmyDragonBallz wrote:I think the better question is, which version of DB Super is canon to the manga. The manga or the anime of super? It'd be kind of fucked up to read the manga up right before the ten year time skip and then it continue off an anime.
Based off of DB Super flashbacks using Kai footage(vs reanimated footage like they use for DB flashbacks), Toei's canon is: Some version of the original DB -> DBZ Kai(+ the Bardock & Trunks specials) -> DB Super.

I would assume Toyotaro is establishing his manga as a continuation of the original DB manga. However, I know Toriyama intended for Battle of Gods to be a direct continuation of the manga, so which of those two is actually canon, I'm not sure.

As for the original question, I assume Toei is keeping the Bardock special canon(since they kept the Trunks special canon for Super).
That would make a LOAD more sense for TOEI's canon to play out that way -

Original DB Anime , DBZ Kai, DB Super as well as both specials. But which episode of Super showed a flashback of History of Trunks?

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Fri May 19, 2017 4:15 pm

Dragon Ball Super Episode 052 featured its own interpretation of the second television special. There's no apparent guarantee that Dragon Ball Super follows the continuity of any particular series aside from its own (all the while advertising itself as a sequel to Dragon Ball, in general).

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat May 20, 2017 12:28 am

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:
DHM211 wrote:

Original DB Anime , DBZ Kai, DB Super as well as both specials. But which episode of Super showed a flashback of History of Trunks?
Episode 52 showed a reanimated portion of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dACX-eWKpMI

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Sat May 20, 2017 6:03 am

DHM211 wrote:
OWmyDragonBallz wrote:
DHM211 wrote:

Episode 52 showed a reanimated portion of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dACX-eWKpMI
What about the DB Super manga. Did it show a flashback.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat May 20, 2017 8:22 am

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:
DHM211 wrote:
OWmyDragonBallz wrote:

What about the DB Super manga. Did it show a flashback.
Nope. Trunks never goes to meet Gohan, so there was never a reason to.

Also another interesting thing. Gregory isn't present in the Super Manga or BOG movie, but is present in the Super anime. That pretty much solidifies that the Super manga(and BOG movie) is a continuation of the original manga, and the Super anime is a continuation of Kai.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Sat May 20, 2017 1:44 pm

I don't agree with concluding it so simply. Particular Saiyaman antics are referenced in Dragon Ball Super's anime, which is foreign to Dragon Ball Kai, among other references. The Dragon Ball Super manga deviates from both of Toriyama's film scripts and his original Cell arc. I'm not certain why the notion persists but neither continuity is consistent with the original story, which contains continuity errors within itself, too. [I wager those are easily accepted as they're published consistently within the same magazine though]

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Sun May 21, 2017 6:21 am

Nejishiki wrote:I don't agree with concluding it so simply. Particular Saiyaman antics are referenced in Dragon Ball Super's anime, which is foreign to Dragon Ball Kai, among other references. The Dragon Ball Super manga deviates from both of Toriyama's film scripts and his original Cell arc. I'm not certain why the notion persists but neither continuity is consistent with the original story, which contains continuity errors within itself, too. [I wager those are easily accepted as they're published consistently within the same magazine though]
Yeah, of course Super is filled with errors in the continuity. But it still makes the most sense to categorize its manga with the DB manga and the anime of Super with the DB Anime.
There's no way Jaco the galactic patrolman and DB Minus are canon to the anime. I think super is just their post adjustment of BOG and ROF in manga and anime form to categorize them in their respective media's.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Sun May 21, 2017 1:10 pm

I'll have to say, "Just because we can doesn't mean we should", to that. It's a similar thought process when attempting to make other aspects of Dragon Ball coexist with the original story. Usually, it doesn't truly cohere. Dragon Ball Super's continuities feel right at home as being sequels to the source while existing away from its exact events.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon May 22, 2017 7:58 pm

DHM211 wrote:I would assume Toyotaro is establishing his manga as a continuation of the original DB manga. However, I know Toriyama intended for Battle of Gods to be a direct continuation of the manga, so which of those two is actually canon, I'm not sure.
I think Toriyama's canon is Jaco, DB-, The Kanzenban & the scripts for the 2008 OVA, BOG, RF, & Super starting from the Champa arc. Which of the anime or manga is closer to his scripts is anyone's guess cause we don't know what they are to begin with.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.