Is King Cold stronger than Freeza?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gog
I Live Here

Is King Cold stronger than Freeza?

Post by Gog » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:55 pm

This seems to be a popular idea that circulates quite a lot in the greater fandom, but I have to ask the question how much truth does this statement have? And where did it originate from.

Kaboom

Re: Is King Cold stronger than Freeza?

Post by Kaboom » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:33 pm

No, Cold isn't stronger than Freeza. I could have sworn there was a line from someone about the second ki alongside Freeza being even greater, but quickly zipping through the two relevant episodes (Z 118 and 119), I couldn't find it. It's certainly not in the manga either, so it might have been a dub-ism. Even if it is in there somewhere, there's also Gohan's line about how what they're feeling from Freeza is just a small percentage of his full power, so any comparison to be made between Freeza and Cold at that time would be unreliable.

Then on top of that, you've got every source out there, even Cold himself, labeling and treating Freeza as the "strongest in the universe," not his father. Along with Freeza assuming he'll now be strong enough to beat Goku alone, regarding Cold only as backup. Plus, every guidebook source I'm aware of to make mention of Cold's power describes it as being inferior to Freeza's.

So any misconception about Cold being stronger than Freeza probably comes from folks latching onto that phantom possibly-dub-only line comparing them, while overlooking pretty much everything else about it.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

GigaDrill
Beyond Newbie

Post by GigaDrill » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:50 pm

It's either the dub that might have thrown in a line about one power level and a bigger power level, or that Cold looks a lot like Freeza's second form with fans assuming that he had transformation capabilities.

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:49 am

It's a filler line by Vegeta from Episode 119:

Not that he's sensing their full power, mind you. But at a resting state, King Cold seems superior, at least according to the anime.

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:51 am

Son_Gohan wrote:It's a filler line by Vegeta from Episode 119:
Not that he's sensing their full power, mind you. But at a resting state, King Cold seems superior, at least according to the anime.
I always felt like Vegeta mistook Cold for Freeza and that the "so much larger Ki" he was sensing was actually Mecha-Freeza's. Though I don't know how some mechanical enhancements could actually increase someone's Ki.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:03 pm

GigaDrill wrote:... or that Cold looks a lot like Freeza's second form with fans assuming that he had transformation capabilities.
I subscribe to this theory myself, but I think whatever Cold’s power in his final form/absolute best, it has to be at least inferior to Freeza. Otherwise, everything stated and implied in regards to his power in the manga and guidebooks wouldn’t make sense.

There’s no evidence to suggest that Cold’s forms grants the same boost as Freeza, or the transformations of Freeza’s clan grants the same as each other like the Super Saiyan forms, and it became even more unlikely that it’s the case now that we have Frost.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:06 pm

I knew there was a line in the Japanese version stating clearly that King Cold was stronger than Freeza, but I couldn't find because it's actually Vegeta who says it, I always thought and was sure that it was Kuririn's or Tenshinhan's line.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

caiojoorge

Post by caiojoorge » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:24 am

Does the fact the Frieza says that the only ones who have ever hurt him was his parents matter?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:27 am

caiojoorge wrote:Does the fact the Frieza says that the only ones who have ever hurt him was his parents matter?
I know I'm treading in murky water here for someone like me, but we don't get any context in terms of a timeframe for that statement. I always interpreted it as a childhood lashing, and surely Freeza is stronger as an adult(ish?) than he would have been were this interpretation correct.

(This thread was five months old, so it's a little bit on the borderline of "necroposting", but we'll just roll with it. I'd just ask folks be aware of dates on threads as you're digging around.)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:32 pm

I think it would make sense if Cold was stronger (before Frieza's training) because it does explain to me how Cold would around so long without his son getting very annoyed at him and killing him.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:23 pm

Wasn't the line about only his parents hurting him retconned anyway? In some interview Toriyama says that Freeza was once beaten up by Beerus.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:33 am

Cold has to be powerful enough that Freeza doesn't kill him outright, given that Freeza says something along the lines that he can't stand to hear his father's nagging. We all know what happens to those who annoy Freeza, the douchebag even intends to make Beerus pay despite the huge power difference between them.
Its possible that Cold may be able to transform too and that his true power may be on par with Freeza's, he just doesn't like fighting or transforming because he might be old and cranky.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:56 am

I figured that Frieza, bastard that he is, had some respect for his father, given the few interactions we saw of them together.
Son_Gohan wrote:It's a filler line by Vegeta from Episode 119:

[images!]

It remained in DBZ Kai as well, but it's a bit over the place amongst other lines:
Frieza (on his way to Earth): I'm still the most powerful being in the universe!!
Tien (sensing them whilst in the mountains): And there's not just one source! There are two! And the second is larger still!
(the second source being King Cold, as Krillin and Gohan were just talking about Frieza, and Tien is continuing their conversation)
Vegeta (flying to the landing site): But what of this other power I'm sensing? Frieza's strength pales in comparison!
After the two have landed:
Gohan: "Yep, no doubt about it... that's Frieza! He's still alive!"
Krillin: "Not only that... but there's someone else with him who's even... more powerful!"
But what's ALSO worth noting is this exchange a few second later:
Yamcha: "Lemme get this straight! Frieza is the most powerful opponent any of us has ever seen, right?"
Gohan: "Uh-huh, but it gets way worse than that! 'Cause he can get even stronger than he is right now!"
So Gohan, in the FUNi Kai dub at least, is under the impression that Mecha Frieza is comparable to at the bare minimum his third "Xenomorph" form, or more presumably his most repressed form for most of Namek. It isn't ever explained how that even works, so my best guess is that Frieza can adjust his Power Level as well now, probably due to his robotic upgrades (kinda like changing the intensity of a fan), and it's fooling the Z Fighters. On the contradictory claims, maybe they're mistaking King Cold's energy for Frieza's since they're related and their base forms look very similar? Or something?

As for Frieza insisting he's the most powerful being in the universe, I always figured that King Cold was the real boss of the company (probably doing taxes while Frieza was on Namek) while Frieza is the more public-facing representative of top management. And Frieza asked his dad nicely if he could lay claim to the title of strongest in the universe since his dad wasn't a public figure.

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:54 am

Doesn`t this come from the Manga, where it is implied in the conversations the Senshi have that Freeza was with someone whose power may be even greater or is that a translation mistep?
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:11 pm

The thing is, none of them besides Goku have sensed Freeza at 100% anyway, so they don't have a clue.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:13 pm

Olympian wrote:Doesn`t this come from the Manga, where it is implied in the conversations the Senshi have that Freeza was with someone whose power may be even greater or is that a translation mistep?
There are a couple comments in chapters 329 and 330 about there being "another" "absurdly-large" ki signature, but they don't make direct comparisons between the two.

:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

dragonball0900
Advanced Regular

Post by dragonball0900 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:13 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:The thing is, none of them besides Goku have sensed Freeza at 100% anyway, so they don't have a clue.
Well, Gohan did sense 100% Frieza since he was still on Namek when Frieza was 100%, he could've noticed Frieza's large increase of strenght.

As for King Cold vs Frieza, Frieza wins easily. Even if King Cold knows how to transform, it still wouldn't be useful against someone like Frieza since all data around says that Frieza is stronger than his father in every way.

Juub
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Juub » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:18 am

As mentioned multiple times they don't make direct comparisons. They just said Frieza is alongside another very large Ki but they don't say whether or not it's larger or smaller.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:39 pm

I'm surprised nobody has pulled the relevant quotes from the strength checker yet.
Also of relevance is Cold's description from Daizenshuu 7.
Cold's description from the Daizenshuu wrote:Freeza's father. He is a shadowy presence in the organization, and nobody knows of his existence apart from his family and his direct subordinates, not even the Ginyu Special-Squad. Though he's the head of the strongest family in the universe, he is somewhat inferior to Freeza.
I agree with everyone else. Freeza is always implied to be the stronger of the two.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:41 pm

Tyro wrote:I'm surprised nobody has pulled the relevant quotes from the strength checker yet.
I did. I posted the actual panels in Japanese :).