Is King Cold stronger than Freeza?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Juub
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Is King Cold stronger than Freeza?

Post by Juub » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:53 pm

I'm interested in knowing how strong King Cold is. Frieza makes it obvious he thinks he is the strongest but Cold is certainly no slouch. Is he stronger than Frieza pre-mechanization?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:32 pm

Juub wrote:I'm interested in knowing how strong King Cold is. Frieza makes it obvious he thinks he is the strongest but Cold is certainly no slouch. Is he stronger than Frieza pre-mechanization?
Probably not; I never got the impression that Mecha-Frieza was significantly stronger than he was before (if he was Gohan certainly would have said something about it). As it stands there is no direct comparison between the two other than "King Cold is also pretty strong too, bro", so there isn't much to dig up on the subject.

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:52 pm

Outside the anime (Dub) most of the confusion must come from the translations. The volume I have collecting those chapters is an early French Glénat edition and Tenshinahn implies the other person in the ship to be even more powerful. Which is exactly the sequence posted by VegettoEX.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:05 pm

Olympian wrote:Outside the anime (Dub) most of the confusion must come from the translations. The volume I have collecting those chapters is an early French Glénat edition and Tenshinahn implies the other person in the ship to be even more powerful. Which is exactly the sequence posted by VegettoEX.
Definitely sounds like liberties taken with not just the translation, but the writers of the anime too!

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:11 pm

It's very difficult to say with any certainty how strong Cold is since Trunks kills both him and Freeza so quickly. All you know for sure is that his normal ki is in the same ballpark as whatever percentage of power Freeza was using when they landed on Earth. Making a bunch of assumptions on my end, I'd estimate he's about half as strong as Freeza or a bit more.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:42 pm

1. We know that “mecha Freeza” is stronger than he was at Namek but not by how much.
2. We know that “resting mecha Freeza” is weaker than his 100% on Namek.
3. i) We don't know if Cold is also at a resting level or pretty much at maximum already.
ii) We know either his resting level is weaker than Freezas if he has a resting level. And we know that his max is less than Freezas. What we don't know is how his max compares to Freezas resting level.
4. We do know he is strong enough that Freezas would consider him useful against a hypothetical goku that max mecha freeza couldn't beat.
5. If he is overall weaker than Freezas but close enough to be compared and considered useful it's pretty safe to say he can't transform, any reasonable multiplier would put him above Freeza.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:33 am

VegettoEX wrote:There are a couple comments in chapters 329 and 330 about there being "another" "absurdly-large" ki signature, but they don't make direct comparisons between the two.

More than that, Gohan's line specifically calls it "another large power like Freeza," so presumably it's not at all out of his range.

That filler line aside, I don't think the idea that Cold is stronger than Freeza jives much with the story.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:12 am

Cipher wrote:That filler line aside, I don't think the idea that Cold is stronger than Freeza jives much with the story.
I agree, later exceptions aside*, Frieza saying he's the strongest being in the universe is par for the course at that point in the story, and it's still intimidating because A) None of the main characters present have a shot at defeating him, and B) Even having someone in the ballpark of Frieza's power makes the situation that much more Code Brown.

I had a question when reviewing Kai though; how did Frieza know that Goku was on his way back to Earth, and why didn't he just shoot the space pod since he knows Goku can't survive in space?

*That is, King Cold in the anime, Buu in RoF and Beerus in Super. Buu is explained by the fact that he's dormant and, as far as I can remember, missing entirely. I'd say that King Cold is lackadaisy enough to not mind that Frieza does it, and of course Beerus is asleep at the time too.

mamoru

Post by mamoru » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:46 am

Daizenshuu states that he's "Slightly Behind" Frieza, in his True Form.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:24 pm

KBABZ wrote:I had a question when reviewing Kai though; how did Frieza know that Goku was on his way back to Earth, and why didn't he just shoot the space pod since he knows Goku can't survive in space?
No clue about the first question, but as for the second I don't believe they ever had the ability to intercept spaceships traveling at FTL speeds. You would need someone like Whis to do that.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:01 pm

KBABZ wrote: I had a question when reviewing Kai though; how did Frieza know that Goku was on his way back to Earth, and why didn't he just shoot the space pod since he knows Goku can't survive in space?
If Freeza was able to overhear information about the Dragon Balls through Vegeta & co.'s scouters on Earth, it wouldn't be a stretch to assume that the Ginyu space pod Goku was using, could also have some link to their mother ship.

For a similar reason why he didn't destroy Planet Namek instantly: Freeza is a warrior, and to suffer a humiliating defeat to a Saiyan for the rest of his life, knowing he could not beat him in battle would be too much to bear for his pride. Freeza's psychotic nature would also not be satisfied ending it too quickly, without allowing Goku ample suffering as he did.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:44 pm

Both good answers! Thanks guys!

Juub
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Juub » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:04 pm

Too lazy to check but didn't Frieza say he was the strongest in the universe when his father was standing right beside him?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:06 pm

Juub wrote:Too lazy to check but didn't Frieza say he was the strongest in the universe when his father was standing right beside him?
KBABZ wrote:
Frieza (on his way to Earth): I'm still the most powerful being in the universe!!
Yes.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:12 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Wasn't the line about only his parents hurting him retconned anyway? In some interview Toriyama says that Freeza was once beaten up by Beerus.
Freeza only has one parent and it’s King Cold. Toriyama never said Beerus hurt Freeza in anyway. He actually said they get along because they like destroying stuff.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:01 am

Juub wrote:I'm interested in knowing how strong King Cold is. Frieza makes it obvious he thinks he is the strongest but Cold is certainly no slouch.
Daizenshuu 7 says he's "somewhat" weaker than Freeza, so I guess just go with that.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:28 am

KBABZ wrote: I had a question when reviewing Kai though; how did Frieza know that Goku was on his way back to Earth, and why didn't he just shoot the space pod since he knows Goku can't survive in space?
Freeza mentions that he's tracking Goku on radar and knows he's on his way to Earth. As for why he didn't shoot it down and kill Goku there, that's not what he wanted. For the same reason he didn't destroy Earth from orbit the way that Cold suggested, he wanted to show Goku his new and improved power and prove who is the strongest between them. Additionally, he wanted Goku to suffer by coming to Earth and finding the entire population dead.
Meshack wrote: Freeza only has one parent and it’s King Cold. Toriyama never said Beerus hurt Freeza in anyway. He actually said they get along because they like destroying stuff.
Actually he did, in the same tidbit of information that revealed that they often got along so well because of their common activities.

From Toriyama's script notes in "Volume F"
Akira Toriyama’s Inside Story: What’s the relationship between Beerus and Freeza?

Even Freeza is no match for the God of Destruction Beerus, no matter what he does! Since they both destroy stuff, they got along reasonably well, but one time Freeza had his clock cleaned when he got carried away and made Beerus angry.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:35 am

Darkprince410 wrote:
Even Freeza is no match for the God of Destruction Beerus, no matter what he does! Since they both destroy stuff, they got along reasonably well, but one time Freeza had his clock cleaned when he got carried away and made Beerus angry.
If we really want to make the "first person to lay a hand on me" thing work, we could assume that Goku's use of a punch on Frieza means that Beerus probably cleaned Frieza's clock by using a ki attack rather than a melee one.

Juub
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Juub » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:53 am

KBABZ wrote: If we really want to make the "first person to lay a hand on me" thing work, we could assume that Goku's use of a punch on Frieza means that Beerus probably cleaned Frieza's clock by using a ki attack rather than a melee one.
Or just assume it was a retcon which it was.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:03 am

Juub wrote:
KBABZ wrote: If we really want to make the "first person to lay a hand on me" thing work, we could assume that Goku's use of a punch on Frieza means that Beerus probably cleaned Frieza's clock by using a ki attack rather than a melee one.
Or just assume it was a retcon which it was.
To me, backstory and retcon aren't the same thing. When the "Frieza got his clock cleaned by Beerus" thing was said, I don't think Toriyama had "Oh yeah I'm retconning that one line" in mind, he was fleshing out Beerus and showing his relationship with Frieza.