Is Mr. Satan a gag character?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheMikado
I Live Here

Is Mr. Satan a gag character?

Post by TheMikado » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:11 pm

Is he a character we should take seriously or a gag character?
Basically is Mr. Satan a gag character? A simple yes or no will suffice.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Re: Is Mr. Satan a gag character?

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:14 pm

I would say yes since most of his screentime is either dedicated to make fun of himself or get a punchline with him (in varying degrees).
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:34 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:I would say yes since most of his screentime is either dedicated to make fun of himself or get a punchline with him (in varying degrees).
Great opinion, let's see what others think.

Beek King
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Beek King » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:40 pm

Well that was the idea about him. He's a more realistic strongman (apart from still being able to survive minor blows from Cell for gag reasons) thrust into a world of crazy superpowered martial parts where he's trying to convince himself and others that it's all hooey.
Do whatever you like, ghost.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:52 pm

Beek King wrote:Well that was the idea about him. He's a more realistic strongman (apart from still being able to survive minor blows from Cell for gag reasons) thrust into a world of crazy superpowered martial parts where he's trying to convince himself and others that it's all hooey.
You make a good point, how is it possible for him to survive a hit from Cell? He should be instantly killed due to the power gap.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:35 pm

Toriyama said he originally thought of him as just a one time gag for the Cell games but decided to make him a serious/main character for the Buu arc.

He's like other things in the manga, he was intended as one thing but turned out to be something completely different afterwards.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

GigaDrill
Beyond Newbie

Post by GigaDrill » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:06 pm

Definitely began as one but he's grown progressively more serious since the Cell arc
I'd say no for current Mark

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:11 pm

Yes, in that he's more apt to be featured in physical or situational comedy than other characters, as his role in the story is still tied to his comedic origins.

No, in that due to Toriyama treating his characters so sincerely, no one integrated into the main cast remains a one-note gag character for long. Like Oolong, Lunch, and even Kame-Sennin before him, Mr. Satan has come to have his own things going on.

This is also a little harder to answer as, outside of the very end of the Boo arc, we don't get to see Toriyama scripting much of Mr. Satan as part of the main cast. He really is pretty much solely around for gags until the final few chapters of the manga. Super and GT both bring him into slightly more serious situations, however, and I think that's right in line with where Toriyama would taken him were he to have continued scripting ongoing content himself. Even in his brief appearance in Battle of Gods, he isn't outright comedic; he's just part of the quirky cast like everyone else.
Last edited by Cipher on Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Juub
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Juub » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:15 pm

Arale is a gag character. Mr.Satan is comic relief.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:08 am

sintzu wrote:Toriyama said he originally thought of him as just a one time gag for the Cell games but decided to make him a serious/main character for the Buu arc.

He's like other things in the manga, he was intended as one thing but turned out to be something completely different afterwards.
Do you have a quote of this? There's debate over whether Mr. Satan should be able to survive a hit for Perfect Cell.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:45 am

TheMikado wrote:Do you have a quote of this? There's debate over whether Mr. Satan should be able to survive a hit for Perfect Cell.
I read it in one of his interviews but I don't remember which one. it's on the site somewhere.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:53 am

Yes, he is..
He achieves things through luck
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:55 am

Mr. Satan's character pretty much revolves around the joke that he's a regular strong man who's way out of his league dealing with superpowered beings and he gets regularly smacked by said beings in comical fashion yet survives unharmed from situations that should logically be fatal for him.... but he has genuine moments that makes us feel for him.

He's definitely comic relief but I wouldn't call him a full-on gag character outside possibly his debut. Gag characters would be ones like the Pilaf Gang, Lunch, and Arale.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:32 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Mr. Satan's character pretty much revolves around the joke that he's a regular strong man who's way out of his league dealing with superpowered beings and he gets regularly smacked by said beings in comical fashion yet survives unharmed from situations that should logically be fatal for him.... but he has genuine moments that makes us feel for him.

He's definitely comic relief but I wouldn't call him a full-on gag character outside possibly his debut. Gag characters would be ones like the Pilaf Gang, Lunch, and Arale.
I'll accept that. He certainly isn't what I would consider a gag character anymore.

DragonBallLove
Beyond Newbie

Post by DragonBallLove » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:58 pm

Last episode got him coaching Boo. That's a very serious and important thing, IMHO. So no, as of now, he's not.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:02 am

Of course he is. His claim to fame of being "the strongest person on earth" is a running joke that's been going on forever and is enhanced by his clumsiness, weakness, and fear of strong fighters, as well as the fact that the population is so deluded that they believe he's the strongest even after seeing evidence that he really isn't.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu