Did #17 become a park ranger in honour of #16?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Did #17 become a park ranger in honour of #16?

Post by Deathbringer » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:20 am

I know that the idea of #17 becoming a park ranger after being brought back to life was Toriyama's idea that he explained in an interview, and a lot of people including myself would look at that and think "huh?" because of how seemingly out of nowhere it is, due to #17 never exactly saying how much he wants to be a park ranger in the series. Now, it's possible that he just has hobbies that he keeps private and doesn't need to mention but I think there may be a slightly deeper reason as to why he would want to protect the animals and life that is precious, because his 'brother' #16 was also someone who wanted to protect nature.

This is probably just my headcanon, but once I noticed this I couldn't stop wondering why Toei or Toriyama hasn't clarified that this is why he's a park ranger because to me it's kind of an obvious thing to bring up, or maybe it just goes without saying and I just think I'm being all clever reading between the lines but it's actually supposed to be an unspoken obvious truth.

What do you guys think?

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Re: Did #17 become a park ranger in honour of #16?

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:06 am

My headcanon is that #17 subcounciously was always an animal lover and that Dr. Gero supressed that desire to make him focus on killing Goku, #16 gave enough push to awaken and remind #17 his supressed care for them.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:01 pm

I'd love for that to be the case. It'd be a really nice tribute to the character.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:32 pm

I believe that 17 did indeed do that.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:29 pm

I like to believe that's the case. If it is then I'll start keeping up with Super again right away.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:17 pm

-Becomes a park ranger to honor his brother.
-Doesn't even visit his sister for a decade.

Scumbag 17.

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:52 pm

I always kinda figured that the whole "hunting down scumbags trying to poach endangered critters" thing was a big part of his reasoning for having that job, whether that was because of a #16-like desire to protect the critters or just wanting to have a job that lets him live out in the middle of nowhere and beat people up and get paid for it (or maybe some of both.)

#17 does seem to enjoy fighting, so being able to beat people up as part of his job seems like something that would appeal to him (even if he does have to hold waaaaay back all the time... still better than something like flipping burgers or answering phone calls.) And after the way #16 stepped in and attempted to fight off Cell to protect him and #18, I wouldn't be surprised if #17's job being wildlife-protection-related rather than just a more general bounty-hunter sort of thing might be in honor of #16.