Did Goku lie about Super Buu?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Did Goku lie about Super Buu?

Post by Totamo » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:56 pm

Goku says that he couldn't beat Super Buu, but Gohan could, but when Gotenks unfuses and he is Buuiccolo, Goku says he can beat him. But that form is stronger than Super Buu, so what gives?!

Kaboom

Re: Did Goku lie about Super Buu?

Post by Kaboom » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:01 pm

Totamo wrote:Goku says that he couldn't beat Super Buu, but Gohan could, but when Gotenks unfuses and he is Buuiccolo, Goku says he can beat him. But that form is stronger than Super Buu, so what gives?!
I'm like 99.999% sure this is a dub-only line you're referring to, where Goku tells Piccolo-Boo something like "you don't expect to beat me like that, do you?" In the original, Goku just remarks that Gohan can now handle Boo again, not himself.

That hopefully settled and put aside... no, there's no indication at all that Goku was lying about Evil/Super Boo being too strong for himself and Vegeta to fight. We know he was lying about Fat Boo because he later admitted it, but there was no such admission or retraction from him regarding Evil Boo. Which is why the anime's treatment of Pure/Kid Boo, whom Goku can fight and feasibly beat, as the strongest form of Boo is so baffling and contradictory.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

LowRyder2005
Advanced Regular

Post by LowRyder2005 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:24 pm

Bear in mind that, purely in theory, it could've signified that Buuccolo was weaker than Super Buu as well. However, the line in question is both an anime addition and Funi's own work. It was not present in the original Japanese version, in which Goku simply states that Majin Buu has lost a lot of power and that Gohan can beat the newly-formed Buuccolo. More or less a transliteration based on what Goku says in the manga.

You can see the scene for yourself here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgJe8_uN1hk.
Last edited by LowRyder2005 on Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:25 pm

Totamo wrote:Goku says that he couldn't beat Super Buu, but Gohan could, but when Gotenks unfuses and he is Buuiccolo, Goku says he can beat him. But that form is stronger than Super Buu, so what gives?!
Note: The original dub has countless inaccuracies. Watch Kai. Best advice I can give here.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:01 pm

As Kaboom commented, that was only within the Funi dub of Z. In the original manga and anime, Goku doesn't make any comment about his own odds of fighting Buu, but rather that Gohan could beat him in that state.