Does Super have more retcons than DBGT?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Does Super have more retcons than DBGT?

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:32 am

As a hardcore fan, I have passed on watching Super after Battle of Gods and the Revival of F films. But after listening to geekdom videos and all the details regarding the new stuff, I have heard some really head scratching things that don't add up to the original series.
What are your takes when comparing GT to Super's inconsistencies. I heard they even left things out of Super that were in the new movies like Pilaf mysteriously being small and not showing how, or Beerus and Whis power being changed out of nowhere. What about Piccolo? Has his power mysteriously risen above Boo saga tier?

TheMikado
I Live Here

Re: Does Super have more retcons than DBGT?

Post by TheMikado » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:26 am

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:As a hardcore fan, I have passed on watching Super after Battle of Gods and the Revival of F films. But after listening to geekdom videos and all the details regarding the new stuff, I have heard some really head scratching things that don't add up to the original series.
What are your takes when comparing GT to Super's inconsistencies. I heard they even left things out of Super that were in the new movies like Pilaf mysteriously being small and not showing how, or Beerus and Whis power being changed out of nowhere. What about Piccolo? Has his power mysteriously risen above Boo saga tier?
Does it have more retcons and inconsistencies or unexplained things than GT? Yes. Unless you want to make a beef about SSJ4s magic pants.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:28 am

Power increases aren't retcons, if that's what you're focused on. I don't remember what GT retconned, but DBS itself has retconned how the Potara works, retconned Dende knowing about Oob, and retconned the whole "Goku hasn't visited Bulma in 5 years" thing, I think that's it.

Toriyama himself retconned a lot of things outside of DBS though.

LowRyder2005
Advanced Regular

Post by LowRyder2005 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:18 am

It looks like Piccolo is indeed stronger than ever. Apparently, he reached his current level - which surprised Gohan - training off screen after the U7 arc. His raw power is apparently either sitting in-between the current Super Saiyan 1 and Super Saiyan 2 Gohan or even somewhat above Super Saiyan 2 Gohan now, depending on how you interpret their exchanges.

Do note that while things are clear in regards to Piccolo it's quite unclear how strong this Gohan was, though, and the fight was still supposedly influenced by some external factors interfering with Gohan's performance (he wasn't putting his heart in it, wasn't concentrating, fighting sloppily; still some strange writing). In stricter terms, I'd ideally peg this new and improved Piccolo as equal to Dabra; it's still quite a jump considering Piccolo was probably still in the realm of Cell Jrs. at the time the Buu saga took place. It doesn't really constitute a retcon, though, does it? It's not like we knew how strong Piccolo was in the end of Z.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:00 am

OLKv3 wrote:Power increases aren't retcons, if that's what you're focused on. I don't remember what GT retconned, but DBS itself has retconned how the Potara works, retconned Dende knowing about Oob, and retconned the whole "Goku hasn't visited Bulma in 5 years" thing, I think that's it.

Your not kidding, he did one in the very second arc with having Goku's age changed. For the arcs I can remember....

The Saiyan saga's intro is one big retcon with Goku's true origin as well as adding new info about kami, piccolo and the dragon balls although that had been hinted at somewhat during the 23rd budokai.

The Frieza arc recons the fate of Planet Vegeta, turns a throwaway line about Super Saiyans into an actual legend and brings in Zenkai as if Goku always had it.

The Android arc has another big intro retcon with Dr. Gero, a fact mae even more painfully obvious when you see filler for the RR arc introducing Dr. Flappe as the guy who built #8.

The Buu arc dose not have any....I think. Unless you count Buu being inside the earth and the introduction of the Kaioshin as the true rulers of the DB universe.

The Black Star arc has the Black Star Balls and there origin, stating the Nameless Namekian which is odd when I seem to remember King Piccolo having no knowledge of the DBs until the Pilaf gang told him.

The Baby arc did retcon the idea that saiyans were not native to Vegeta/Planet as we were lead to believes from the Z filler. The other stuff, Tuffles and Golden Oozaru are not recons but simply GT makeing filler ideas cannon to its story.

The Super #17 arc has the idea that #17 was somehow intended to be more powerful then Perfect Cell and makes some changes to hell.

The Evil Dragon arc is founded on a retcon.

The BoGs arc inserts Beerus into a number of things and tells us more about saiyan history, which dose notably differ from older depictions of their history.

The RoF arc has Frieza never training a day in his life but I'm unsure if that was were it first poped up or if it was in one of the guide books and RoF was the first on screen depiction of that idea.

The U6 arc has the Super Dragon Balls, their history and the fact that all other sets are based on them.

The Black arc (while a spoiler title you cannot deny that is an awesome arc name) Has new rules for potara fusion.

The US arc doe not have any retcons per say, just poorly explained power ups.

As a whole Super has retconed characters know who Uub is.

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:02 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:Power increases aren't retcons, if that's what you're focused on. I don't remember what GT retconned, but DBS itself has retconned how the Potara works, retconned Dende knowing about Oob, and retconned the whole "Goku hasn't visited Bulma in 5 years" thing, I think that's it.

Your not kidding, he did one in the very second arc with having Goku's age changed. For the arcs I can remember....

The Saiyan saga's intro is one big retcon with Goku's true origin as well as adding new info about kami, piccolo and the dragon balls although that had been hinted at somewhat during the 23rd budokai.

The Frieza arc recons the fate of Planet Vegeta, turns a throwaway line about Super Saiyans into an actual legend and brings in Zenkai as if Goku always had it.

The Android arc has another big intro retcon with Dr. Gero, a fact mae even more painfully obvious when you see filler for the RR arc introducing Dr. Flappe as the guy who built #8.

The Buu arc dose not have any....I think. Unless you count Buu being inside the earth and the introduction of the Kaioshin as the true rulers of the DB universe.

The Black Star arc has the Black Star Balls and there origin, stating the Nameless Namekian which is odd when I seem to remember King Piccolo having no knowledge of the DBs until the Pilaf gang told him.

The Baby arc did retcon the idea that saiyans were not native to Vegeta/Planet as we were lead to believes from the Z filler. The other stuff, Tuffles and Golden Oozaru are not recons but simply GT makeing filler ideas cannon to its story.

The Super #17 arc has the idea that #17 was somehow intended to be more powerful then Perfect Cell and makes some changes to hell.

The BoGs arc inserts Beerus into a number of things and tells us more about saiyan history, which dose notably differ from older depictions of their history.

The RoF arc has Frieza never training a day in his life but I'm unsure if that was were it first poped up or if it was in one of the guide books and RoF was the first on screen depiction of that idea.

The U6 arc has the Super Dragon Balls, their history and the fact that all other sets are based on them.

The Black arc (while a spoiler title you cannot deny that is an awesome arc name) Has new rules for potara fusion.

Does that give or take, pretty much sum up all the retcons so far.

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:03 pm

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:
Lord Frieza wrote:

Does that give or take, pretty much sum up all the retcons so far.
I also thought the evil dragons were based on overusing the dragon balls that elder kaioshin warned them about in Z.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Mon May 01, 2017 12:48 am

Elder Kai just said it's against nature and a cheap way to live. He never hinted at evil powers accumulating to turn into dangerous warriors lol

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Mon May 01, 2017 4:07 am

OLKv3 wrote:Elder Kai just said it's against nature and a cheap way to live. He never hinted at evil powers accumulating to turn into dangerous warriors lol
Exactly, also it a retcon that implies that Kami, Popo, Piccolo, Dende, The other Namekians and the kaioshin ALL KNEW that the dragon balls could give birth to a monster which could threaten the entire universe and never once thought "Hmmmm maybe we should tell everyone so that dose not happen". Even the "no decision was made" line makes no sense in retrospect because all any of them had to do WAS tell someone.