Would The "Solar Flare x100" Actually Work In A "Void"?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Would The "Solar Flare x100" Actually Work In A "Void"?

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Mon May 08, 2017 1:47 am

If they're fighting in a dimension of nothingness but the Arena, how exactly would the Solarflare/Taiyo-ken even work with no "Sun" let alone a source of a strong enough overhead light?
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Re: Would The "Solar Flare x100" Actually Work In A "Void"?

Post by Darkprince410 » Mon May 08, 2017 2:25 am

The Taiyo-ken doesn't use external sources of light. The user's ki generates the light, thus even in a void it would work fine.

Daizenshuu 7's entry for the technique:
Taiyou-Ken [Fist of the Sun]
First Appearance: Chapter 124
Category: ki manipulation
People: Tenshinhan, Krillin, Son Goku, Cell
Special Characteristics: A Tsuru-sen School technique. Tenshinhan first used it during his fight with Goku at the 22nd Tenkaichi Budoukai [he actually first uses it against Jacky Chun]. Gathering ki in his upper body, he converts it to light energy and radiates it out in front of his face. Blinding the opponent’s eyes, this is used when retreating from battle. The amount of light is connected to the strength of the person’s ki, and the light source will become stronger the more ki the user has. The first person from outside the Tsuru-sen School to use this technique was Goku. (Daizenshuu 4, p.113)
It's the anime that muddies this by having scenes of it being used against the backdrop of the sun on many occasions, but in the anime it isn't ever used that way. Yes, it's sometimes used in the air, but we don't ever see them using the sun as a backdrop before the technique.

For example, in the manga, Cell used it while on the ground at a target (Trunks) in the air, with no light source behind him.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon May 08, 2017 6:40 pm

Besides, there is light there, or else we wouldn't be able to see anything
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Tue May 09, 2017 6:58 am

Good post. I personally didnt know how it worked and had been wondering if it was just ki or actual light.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue May 09, 2017 2:37 pm

I'm amazed it works at all considering the fact a lot of the characters don't use their eyes really to track an opponent and haven't seen ki sensing became a standard feature.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue May 09, 2017 3:17 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:I'm amazed it works at all considering the fact a lot of the characters don't use their eyes really to track an opponent and haven't seen ki sensing became a standard feature.
Kinda hard to concentrate when you have a sun going off in your eyes.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue May 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:I'm amazed it works at all considering the fact a lot of the characters don't use their eyes really to track an opponent and haven't seen ki sensing became a standard feature.
Which shouldn't be more than a momentary issue until you remember you can basically see without your eyes. It makes total sense for people who can't sense ki but I've always found it weird how everyone forgets they can use that whenever Solar Flare hits them.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue May 09, 2017 3:22 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Which shouldn't be more than a momentary issue until you remember you can basically see without your eyes. It makes total sense for people who can't sense ki but I've always found it weird how everyone forgets they can use that whenever Solar Flare hits them.
Go stare at the sun for a few seconds. It fucking hurts. They have to concentrate to sense ki; it's not remotely unusual that they would have difficulty doing so after they've been blinded. That's kinda distracting.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue May 09, 2017 3:24 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote: Kinda hard to concentrate when you have a sun going off in your eyes.
Go stare at the sun for a few seconds. It fucking hurts. They have to concentrate to sense ki; it's not remotely unusual that they would have difficulty doing so after they've been blinded. That's kinda distracting.
I guess this could just be the anime making it a bigger deal than it actually is in the manga but I just find it odd no one remembers their eyes are irrelevant and even attempts to use ki sensing to compensate for being blind the way Gohan did in a recent Super episode.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Wed May 10, 2017 10:37 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:Good post. I personally didnt know how it worked and had been wondering if it was just ki or actual light.
ekrolo2 wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: Which shouldn't be more than a momentary issue until you remember you can basically see without your eyes. It makes total sense for people who can't sense ki but I've always found it weird how everyone forgets they can use that whenever Solar Flare hits them.
I guess this could just be the anime making it a bigger deal than it actually is in the manga but I just find it odd no one remembers their eyes are irrelevant and even attempts to use ki sensing to compensate for being blind the way Gohan did in a recent Super episode.
I think the anime did make this into a problem, because for one it was always visually implied that they needed the Sun to use the attack as if it was the blinding sun itself that stunted them, but according to the DaoOfDragonball, like the SpiritBomb, its supposed to be them "amplifying their concentrated ki from the practitioner’s body in the form of white light" like that of the sun but not actually used from the sun unlike what the dub name implies.

"The technique has absolutely nothing to do with the sun and does not rely on it in any way. No amount of sunlight is “reflected off of them,” and the technique can be performed in complete darkness or underneath clouds if needed, as the light (the yáng energy) already exists inside the practitioner’s body."
I forgot that, though I wish this was differentiated a bit clearer because the anime made it seem like they needed it, when they sun was just reminding the characters of the attack. Not using the sun itself.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Thu May 11, 2017 9:27 am

I would think it would work even better. Their eyes will be used to darkness (assuming everything but the ring is just darkness) then all of a sudden a super bright light... Doesn't sound fun.